Patience with Yourself (Off Plan Day 4) Any Tips?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rachel. I've started the whole 30 in hopes to remove some of the artificial foods from my diet, namely Splenda and gum. I've quit smoking since mid-December and I felt as though it was time to focus on something else.

I have a history of extreme calorie counting and dieting in my 5 year past and I have been very conscious of how I'm feeling about foods since anticipating the Whole 30 and practicing for 4 days.

Last night I was disappointed in myself for failing to complete an irrational day to-do list. I didn't want a Whole 30 dinner; I was craving a tablespoon of honey. I rationalized to myself that honey was natural, wasn't splenda or gum (or a cigarette) and that I was going to have it. Even after 4 days, honey never tasted so sweet to me; I was really surprised.

This slip turned into leftover chocolate macaroons (completely off-plan) and 4 Nature Valley Granola Bars, also a no-no.

I felt awful, couldn't sleep, and felt when I woke up this morning that this has become my brain's version of a stubborn children's tantrum.

I am owning my mistake, understand the place honey can't have for 30 days, and re-starting today.

Does anyone have any tips on how they manage the self-sabotage aspect of a nutrition protocol?

Thank you <3

Hey Rachel,

I totally get where you are. I've been there. It's really, really horrible, and I'm so sorry you have to deal with it.

For me, when I was in that zone, the only thing that helped was just getting it out of the house. I dumped all my cookies, candy, etc. so I couldn't go eat them even if I wanted to. If you're not going to eat it for 30 days, then maybe just ask someone else to keep it for you if you don't want to throw it away?

I hope that you feel better, and remember to be kind to yourself. Everyone slips up sometimes. xo

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rachel. I've started the whole 30 in hopes to remove some of the artificial foods from my diet, namely Splenda and gum. I've quit smoking since mid-December and I felt as though it was time to focus on something else.

I have a history of extreme calorie counting and dieting in my 5 year past and I have been very conscious of how I'm feeling about foods since anticipating the Whole 30 and practicing for 4 days.

Last night I was disappointed in myself for failing to complete an irrational day to-do list. I didn't want a Whole 30 dinner; I was craving a tablespoon of honey. I rationalized to myself that honey was natural, wasn't splenda or gum (or a cigarette) and that I was going to have it. Even after 4 days, honey never tasted so sweet to me; I was really surprised.

This slip turned into leftover chocolate macaroons (completely off-plan) and 4 Nature Valley Granola Bars, also a no-no.

I felt awful, couldn't sleep, and felt when I woke up this morning that this has become my brain's version of a stubborn children's tantrum.

I am owning my mistake, understand the place honey can't have for 30 days, and re-starting today.

Does anyone have any tips on how they manage the self-sabotage aspect of a nutrition protocol?

Thank you <3

Here's what helped me with my Whole30. I got rid of EVERYTHING in my kitchen and basement pantry that wasn't compliant. EVERYTHING. This was three and a half large trash bags of food that I discarded or gave away. I highly recommend this kind of purge if you live alone.

Secondly, for 30 days, eat template meals. Eat a little of the meal or eat a lot but follow the template! You can do anything for just 30 days and these template meals will zap your cravings.

Start again, follow the template and don't snack. Eat a mini template meal if you have a day where you have to go too long between meals.

Hi There!

First of all - Congratulations on quitting smoking - this is big thing - good for you!

Second of all - good on you for also recognizing things that are triggers for you and wanting to work through this.

Okay - one key thing to remember about cravings is when you are craving something sweet - the last thing you should reach for is something sweet - yes this include fruit.  What you really need is protein and fat.  So set up some options for yourself when the cravings hit.  

Find creative ways of distracting yourself - once I was in the middle of Walmart when I started having HUGE chocolate cravings - and of course Chocolate is readily available at Walmart.  So I was like - wow - what do I do?  So I decided I would distract myself by looking at the jewelry and makeup section.  Hey it worked.  Then I bought a magazine instead of a chocolate bar just to hit that "reward" centre of my brain and the craving passed without any further thought.

So have a plan when a craving hits - you could do push ups, or do some house work, or read a book, or buy a magazine or paint your nails - the list is up to you.  Most cravings last for about 5 to 10 minutes - and the beauty about our brains is that we can choose to change focus.  

Archived