Sodium

lorilynnmc

Hello. I am new to whole30 and only on my 4th day. I was a bit unclear on whether sodium in products is allowed or not. For example, chicken broth with sodium in it is okay? As long as there's no MSG? As well as sodium in jarred or canned olives? What about bacon? I have restrained from eating bacon because I'm unsure what qualifies it as "safe".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sodium is fine if you are fine with sodium, as in it doesn't do anything negative to you. With no processed foods, your sodium stats will go down. Just make sure the olives have nothing else icky in them. Bacon is hard to find that is compliant. Almost every one has sugar in them. Even if the label says Sugars: 0, look at the ingredients list. Applegate Sunday bacon is one of them. The sugar is there, but it's a small enough amount that they can say 0%. US Wellness has Whole 30 compliant bacon. You would have to order it from their website. They run out a lot, but usually have it again by the next Friday. A bunch of us have been talking about Pork Belly and how to make bacon out of it. I'm still on the search for raw pork belly (I keep asking about it when at Whole Foods or New Seasons). I haven't had bacon while on Whole 30. :)

I thought I would have a hard tine finding pork bellies, but when I went to my local grocery store BelAir in the Sacramento area they had it already sliced packed in a one pound package for $2.99 per pound. I bought 4 pounds and will make my own with Robin's recipe.

A bunch of us have been talking about Pork Belly and how to make bacon out of it. I'm still on the search for raw pork belly (I keep asking about it when at Whole Foods or New Seasons). I haven't had bacon while on Whole 30. :)

I thought I would have a hard tine finding pork bellies, but when I went to my local grocery store BelAir in the Sacramento area they had it already sliced packed in a one pound package for $2.99 per pound. I bought 4 pounds and will make my own with Robin's recipe.

Here's one of the pork belly fans now. :) Portland is a huge foodie town, so I know they probably have it right down the street from me at Whole Foods or New Seasons. I just keep forgetting to ask or look. I am going to one of the last Farmer's Markets tomorrow, so I hope to find perfection in a pork belly there. :)

Archived