Kroger Brand Pure Coconut Oil and Pompeian Sprays

Adam M

Hello, 

I am on day 15 of Whole30 and I hope I don't have to restart, but I have been using the regular Kroger Brand of their Pure Coconut Oil to cook with pretty much the entire time. I don't know if it is refined or unrefined. I was curious about the differences after going to the grocery store the other day, and I decided to look at the differences between the two. I know I should probably be using organic, but I wasn't sure I was going to like it so I went cheap first. Is there anything wrong using it? 

Also, I have not used it because I wasn't sure if it was compliant, but all the Pompeian Cooking Sprays (I have the coconut oil one) appear to not have any extra ingredients. Does anyone use this and is it compliant?

I'm sorry, I don't have the ingredients in front of me (i'm at work). But I can post a follow up later if it is questionable.

I've never seen a cooking spray without soy lecithin, but from a cursory google search it looks like Pompeian Coconut Oil Spray might use sunflower lecithin, so you might be ok. Better check the label on your particular can.

If it's really just plain oil in a fancy spray bottle, then yeah, it'd be fine.

However, I don't think I've seen a cooking spray without some sort of additive (so the oil doesn't gum up the spray mechanism or something), and in my experience, the additives in sprays always leave a gross residue on my cast iron (thanks roommates :angry: ), so I avoid them and don't allow anyone to use cooking sprays in my kitchen.

An alternative to sprays is to get one of those olive oil pour spout stoppers for your bottle of olive/cooking oil - makes it so that you can just pour in the olive oil you need and not have to unscrew the cap every time you want to cook with it - just as convenient as the spray bottle format, in my opinion.

Archived