Ben & Colie's W30 Log

the_only_colie

(Technically this is Day 4 for us, but with all the food prep time, I haven't had a chance to log anything yet)

Our Whole 30 Goals:

Weight Loss (we are both told by our doctors we need to lose weight)

Stop being hangry all the time (crazy blood sugar swings)

Better digestion

Better overall health/ prevent type 2 diabetes

Improve cholesterol

Ben's Personal W30 Goals:

Improved mood

Improved energy at work

My Personal W30 Goals:

Get my sudden adult acne to go away

Improve my joint pain (started 7 years ago, and I've stopped running/biking at that point. I've even stopped painting)

Get on a schedule (I just graduated and need something to challenge me to organize my time while I search for a full time job)

Find out all of my migraine triggers (Sometimes I get these atypical migraines that look like a stroke and I am sent to the ER)

Improved concentration

Remove acanthosis nigricans

Get my ovaries to chill out (my sister thinks I have PCOS like her, especially because my drs found benign cysts all up in there)

Improve blood pressure

Background:

We've done paleo in the past twice now but my old crazy schedule and our budgets led us to the temptation of the $5 Hot & Ready. We both felt an extreme difference in our moods and our overall happiness during those caveman times.

However, sometimes we'd find ourselves reacting badly to certain foods and we couldn't figure out why. We also, myself especially, knew it was an overall 'guideline' and broke the rules way too often in the last round. We're hoping with the structure and the set rules will keep us in line. ("No, mom, I can't have just a little taste of your cobbler")

The research that they've done in this book is certainly more motivating than "because cavemen did it".

What seems like a lifetime ago, I used to be healthy...like really healthy...like biking 4 miles everyday to campus each way....60lbs thinner....running for fun...

Somehow something in me switched, and sudden pain in every joint of my body was killing me ALL THE TIME. I gradually became more and more sedentary and that caused weight gain and that caused more joint pain. Downward spiral.

I am at a new point in my life that I have the time and ability try to fight back. We have been prepping for this since mid February and are 100% committed.

:D

Day 1 - Tues 8

The first week we are basically following the W30 book's sample meal plan.

Meal 1:

Spinach Frittata

Grapes

Coffee w/ Homemade Almond Milk ​

Comments:

Almond Milk came out much better this go around. I soaked the almonds for 2 days instead of overnight and they were much creamier.

This was my last ditch effort to keep coffee in our lives. After trying all my different coffee devices, different beans, various ways of adding some sort of compliant milk to it over the last few weeks, the cold press Toddy was the only way we could enjoy that coffee flavor without the bitter. I love the taste of coffee but sugar hides the bitter part of the brew. I tried this way last because I always lose the corks! Cold pressing it let me remove those bitter bits and as an added bonus: large amount of premade coffee that's cold. In my hot, sticky part of the world, cold coffee is needed right now.

The frittata took wayyyyyy more time than advertised, for me. If I make this again, I'll have to make the night before. I was going to do this but had little room in the fridge after grocery shopping.

So full from the frittata, we didn't even have room in our stomachs for the avocado. Not used to eating breakfast!

Meal 2:

Chicken salad on baby spinach

Ranch dressing

2 tangerines

Comments:

Best chicken salad of my life. This homemade mayo is a real life changer. Surprisingly the ranch actually tasted like ranch!

Meal 3:

Almond crusted chicken

Tomato Sauce

Roasted Spaghetti Squash

Comments:

Throw that almond mush left over from making milk in the oven on a parchment'd pan on low for a bit. Cut up some chicken breasts, dredge in paprika and egg, coat in that almond meal and then bake. Only a couple of tenders are super filling rather than us gorging on all of it.

I roasted the squash for two long, but I loved it much better than the last two times I've made it "al dente"

I'll need to make the tomato sauce much earlier in the future. We weren't hungry at all between meals at all today! Everything was delicious.

• 3 weeks later...

So we were going strong! It was so hard to keep up the food log and do everything else though.

Ben is still on his countdown but on day 27 for me, I was tricked into thinking something at a restaurant was compliant. However there must have been contaminates because I woke up the next day with my joint / muscle pain returned. I'm thinking it was cooked in soy oil and have contacted the headquarters to find out if there could have been anything else. I already cried about it on a different post and I'm okay now. I started over on Monday April 4 (the next day) and am going to keep going.

Mostly because I can narrow down my reactants at the restaurant to either gluten, soy, or milk but it without knowing for sure what happened, the data is still inconclusive.

I told Ben I have to start over, because of my integrity as a scientist I have to have viable data. LOL.

Restart (see post above for details)

Day 1 April 4

M1

Cup of Earl Grey

Scrambled eggs

Tangerine

M2

Mexican avocado mayo sauce

Zoodles

Chicken breast

M3

1/2 of an bacon epic bar (we wanted to try them out to see if we liked them and would get them for emergencies)

2 burgers with lettuce buns

Homemade avocado garlic mayo

Tomato

Purple onion

Notes:

My meals weren't as planned out because I was still in pain and moping.

I should have stuck with one burger.

I need to shop before work because it was 9:30 when we sat to eat.

My extreme thirst came back. Maybe this is my body flushing out the joint inflammation.

Day 2 April 5

M1

Cup of earl grey but with lavender

Scrambled eggs

M2

3 salmon cakes

Mustard

M3

1/2 of lamb epic bar

Spaghetti squash

Ground beef

Tomato sauce

Notes:

Definitely missing my homemade almond milk in my tea. Set some almonds to soak over night.

Still very thirsty. Not as achey but still painful, mostly in my fingers and toes.

Had planned on more veggies and a couple of pieces of fruit but I haven't been as hungry as the first 27 days.

We were testing out the lamb epic bar. It was very nice.

Had a sip of premade bone broth but I remembered I hate lemongrass. Was disappointed to find it had no calcium which would be the whole reason for buying it. Guess I need to just make the homemade kind again.

I hope you feel better! I'm always a bit nervous when I go to a restaurant because you can never be sure what's in the food. The "Can I have" forum has saved my butt a few times already.

I have a bunch of digestive issues passed on from my mom, so I'm trying to get a handle on it as well with W30.

I'm originally from Texas, so its nice to see another Texan ;) 

Yay Texas! :)

Thanks! I'm starting to feel like the pain is mostly dulled down. Should hopefully be gone by the next couple of days. Fingers crossed.

Hope you're able to start feeling better too! Yeah it seems like my mom and I have the same stomach problems all the time.

Day 3 April 6

M1

Fried eggs inside fried avocado slices

M2

Earl Grey

Roast beef in horseradish garlic mayo

Ton of chopped lettuce

1/2 chopped tomato

1 pink lady apple

S

Less than a handful of cashews/raisins

M3

Chicken meatballs

Leftover tomato sauce

Sautéed carrots, zucchini, onion

Steamed broccoli & cauliflower

Probiotic shot + unfiltered apple cider (1/4 cup total)

Notes:

Ben and I think the meatballs are 5/5. Need to make more on a weekend sometime and freeze some.

The frozen roast beef (cooked last week) tasted good still. However it's tough to thaw. Maybe shred before I freeze next time.

Horseradish garlic mayo was good but needs more horseradish. I think I added a teaspoon plus two cloves garlic.

So I found this cabbage probiotic that should help with replacing my bad gut bacteria. It's super sour like drinking pickle juice or like sauerkraut juice. Blech! I forgot to mention we tried a 1/8 cup each on Monday. I cut it with the apple cider today. Too sweet. I kinda like the savory just wish it wasn't thaaaat tart.

Had a super funky tast in my mouth at work so since I can't have mints I pulled out a bit of raisins and cashews. It didn't really help but got my mind off of it temporarily.

Day 4 April 7

M1

Cup of Earl Grey

Homemade almond milk

Chicken Apple sausage

Sautéed kale

Post WO

Poached egg

Berry infused water

M2

Leftover veggies from last night

Tomato meat sauce

Tangelo

M3

Epic bar

Chicken broth

Notes:

I didn't read the post workout guidelines until after I already had most of the bottle of water that I had let sit with berries in the fridge. (It says fruit isn't your best carb to have post wo) I probably didn't need to eat but I work later in the day/evening and often I'm standing the whole time so I wanted to make sure I was okay to do that.

I had a very hard time finishing lunch. I thought it was because I had that egg.

During work I felt even more achey and very nauseous during work. Later my forehead felt warm and my nose got stuffy. My throat had been sore that morning but I thought it was because I didn't drink water when I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. :-(

When I got out of work I cooked dinner but all I wanted to do is have broth and go to bed. I managed to eat an epic bar though.

So maybe the restaurant incident on Sunday that caused joint pain was me just catching whatever bug people have at work/whatever my family had when I visited them. :-/

Day 5 April 8

M1

Chili

Roasted butternut squash

Earl Grey

Splash of homemade almond milk

M2

Fishy cakes (tuna + smoked sardines)

Tartar sauce

Pineapple chunks

2 strips of bacon

M3

Chili

Roasted butternut squash

Sautéed kale with purple onions

Notes:

The chili was done overnight in the slow cooker. It was supposed to be last night's dinner but I was feeling sick. Probably me not feeling well but the recipe had no flavor. Ben liked it. I tried making my fishy cakes in a mini muffin tin but they stuck! Next time I'll do it the regular way.

I forgot we haven't bought pickles since we cleaned out non compliant food a month ago. :-) so I made tartar sauce using that probiotic juice that tastes like pickles. Bacon + pineapple is probably Ben's new favorite thing. It was pretty good.

Chili definitely needs a thickener of some sort. Maybe arrowroot? I put in this spice mix that's compliant. It tasted more like chili and was pretty good.

Day 6 April 9

M1

Poached egg

Fishy cakes

Tartar sauce

Earl Grey

Splash of homemade almond milk

M2

Chili

Butternut squash

Chicken apple sausage

Carrot juice (4oz)

M3

Fried plantain

Kippers

Mayo

Purple onion

(Made little stackers)

Kale salad

Notes:

Ben loved the breakfast 5/5.

Little bowl of chili was not enough!

Drank the last of the carrot juice I had been using as cooking ingredient because it expired yesterday and I didn't want it to go to waste.

Kippers plus plantains were the best. Tried this fancy pants new brand of kippers and they definitely were still moist and not super salty. Expensive though for kipper. Ben tried a little and said it was 5/5. He had already had dinner at our friends' house. I was still feeling under the weather so I stayed home. I just sat down to eat when he returned and they were so nice enough to send him some compliant kale salad for me to have. :-)

Thankfully you can have sardines and kippers everyday with no worry of heavy metals. I had not been wanting to cook and haven't been able to find compliant canned chicken since my brand changed recipes. :-/

This was a hard day to be good. It probably was residual hunger from lunch that forced me to eat a sausage. I've been eating like this for 33 days now and I have been really craving chocolate. I wanted to get choffy to help curb my craving but that might be a bad response.

M1

Black current tea

Fried eggs

Kale salad

M2

Sausage bangers

Mashed sweet potato

Caramelized onions

Sautéed green beans with coconut aminos

M3

Artichoke stuffed chicken breasts

Roasted carrots and turnips

Notes:

Black current tea was compliant and so delicious. Just like how I remember. I bought it last year and forgot about it but now the little coffee shop had closed down. :(

Finally had time to go grocery shopping! We were completely out of veggies yesterday. My mood is back up. I started my period last night. Two months in a row is a good sign that things are getting back to when I was healthy.

I was about to buy chicken at Kroger but the label said it had carrageenan! I definitely don't remember that last month. I haven't had chicken this round until today. I bought the organic fancy pants chicken today which says it doesn't have anything. But now I'm suspicious! Hopefully HEB has some chicken because I can't buy fancy chicken all the time!

Sausage was a bit salty but that's my bad. I doubled the spices when making the mix so if have some for later. Forgot I doubled it and added like most of it into the sausage. Oops. No matter because potatoes didn't have salt so we kind of dipped them in to the potatoes. It was definitely a 5/5 meal & Ben didn't even need to think about it before claiming it a 5.

I made the roasted red bell pepper sauce but used artichokes instead. We got burnt out on the regular stuff last month. Pounded the breasts then made chicken boob tacos using the sauce as a filler. I'd say 4.7/5 and Ben says 4.5/5.

I need to figure out what a "medium sweet potato" weighs. Maybe they are just so ginormous in Texas, because when I make them it seems like sooooo much food. We bothe felt like we entered carb comas after lunch and we didn't even finish our taters. :-/

Day 8 April 11

M1

Scrambled eggs

Chicken apple sausage

Chai tea

Coconut milk

M2

Sausage bangers

Green beans

Apple juice (small)

M3

Pork steaks

Spiced apple sauce

Sautéed shredded Brussel sprouts

With lemon juice and garlic and coconut aminos

Notes:

I really need to wake up earlier and make something not eggy. Been trying to get breakfast and Ben's lunch packed for work in time and that's been slow moving. Because I get out of work so late at night and we have dinner so late, we end up staying up late digesting/cleaning. :(

I need to work things out where I make most of the dinner in the morning and have him just pop it in the oven :)

I was so fixated on this one thing that this job I'm applying for needed me to do that I nearly forgot about lunch before I headed to my regular job! Thus, I didn't have time to make a second veggie/eat a second veggie. So I drank some juice as I was walking out. Baddddd idea! Sugar crashed at work and was super starving. I usually am ok to last until 8/8:30 when I get home. Juice is probably a no-no for me unless it's with a super big meal and only a shot glass. (We've been using these little Japanese tea cups as our shot glasses for kombucha or probiotic drinks or juice)

I used my new cast iron skillet for the pork steaks! I grew up with my mom using them for everything but I've never owned one myself. So I'm excited to try it out. But I didn't think about the acid in the apples stripping away the seasoning. :( I reseaoned the pan but the apple sauce was GRAY. OMG so gross looking. Tasted fine though. I just couldn't look at it seriously caused a stomach churn to look at it.

Ben still thinks the porkchop +spiced apple sauce is a 5/5 but thought the Brussel sprouts were 2/5. He normally loves them but I got the shredded kind and he doesn't like it for some reason. :/

Side note:

I really wish we could use phone emojis!!

M4

Small jar of olives.

Ben busted out the cookie dough we had frozen before we started. He was on the "gluten day" and I needed some olives to hold myself together. I was already hungry before he pulled it out but I indulged in eating a handful of fancy pants garlic stuffed olives which was the entirety of the jar rather than 2 olives. He said he was pretty satisfied with the little he had which is a change from when he and I would eat almost a whole batch of dough together.

•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•

Day 9 April 12

M1

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms

Earl Grey

Spoon of coconut milk

M2

Leftover pork steak

Spiced apple sauce

M3

Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto

Melissa's chicken hash

M4

The filling for the stuffed bell pepper recipe

1/4 avocado

Notes:

Asparagus is definitely 5/5. Too bad they are just so dang hard to wrap!!

Chicken Hash 5/5 (when hot)

M2 & M3 needed to be bigger. I was pretty hungry an hour later so I don't know if the hash can be for anything else except breakfast.

Ben had the rest of the cookie dough pieces he thawed out. I had much more self control while he ate it.

Day 10 April 13

M1

Leftover chicken hash

M2

Stuffed bell pepper

Jicama chips

Guacamole

Chai tea

Coconut milk and almond milk

Watermelon/mint infused water

M3

Almond/ Coconut chicken strips

Ranch & Frank's red sauce

Coconut cilantro lime cauliflower rice

Notes:

Stuffed bell pepper 5/5

Coconut cauliflower rice 3/5

I had m2 way earlier because of my work schedule so I was starving during work. Plus I'm pretty sure that fruit infused waters make my blood sugars go crazy. :( I was very grumpy.

Pretty sure overdid it with the coconut & coconut fat because of multiple potty trips that are just too tmi to write. As "high fat" as this diet has been this has been my only time that I've really reacted this way. I had my gallbladder removed two years ago and even a little bit of fat in my meals would send me running for the restroom pre-whole30 Surprisingly doing this whole30 hasn't caused any issues for me except tonight.

Side note: my dog has been loving the fact that we are on this diet. All the veggie prep means he gets to catch odds and ends of carrots/broccoli/other-dog-safe-veggies that fall of the cutting board.

Still doing whole 30! Visited parents over the weekend and forgot to log stuff. Cooked whole 30 food for them and they sound like they are interested in trying it out. My dad said he lost weight over the weekend even though he stuffed himself!

Also! NSV! I went to my favorite restaurant in the world and didn't have my favorite thing in the world: green sauce. It's a Houston thing, it's like tomatillo sauce with avocado and sour cream. I've traveled to many places but it seems to be only in Houston where restaurants serve it. I was good and had ceviche on lettuce. I enjoyed my time with my family and boyfriend and didn't have a migraine or bloating or a food coma afterward. It was hard at first when there's only chips and salsa in front of you. But when my food came I was happy. :D

Oooo! Green sauce! We used to have it in Austin when there was a Ninfa's here but that closed down YEARS ago. I think they are the ones that invented it. I've made it before, long ago, and you could just sub mayo for sour cream! Can't wait until my tomatillos are ripe. I kinda forgot about green sauce...

Day 15 April 18

M1

Frittata recipe with acorn squash cubes in it

2 tangerines

M2

Leftover porkchop

Leftover tomato sauce

Leftover spaghetti squash

TJs orange sparkling water

M3

Buffalo balls (chicken meatballs covered in ranch buffalo sauce)

Lettuce

Mint watermelon salad

Notes:

It was a wonky day. Everything was closed down because of the flooding and all we wanted to do was sleep. I had a headache but that was either from the pressure system or sleeping all day. Felt groggy and gross.

Now that I have a real cast iron pan the frittata was easier and tastier.

Chicken meatballs tasted much better than when I made them for my parents over the weekend. I pan fried them completely this time because I didn't want to put them in the oven in case the power went out during the storm. Coconut flour was okay but I still prefer almond.

Why is ground chicken so hard to find and expensive compared to ground beef??

**Also, the other day I made gravy with pan drippings and tapioca starch. Worst idea ever. It was delicious but my stomach got so bloated I looked like I was pregnant. It was so painful and uncomfortable I couldn't sleep for a long time. Still constipated. :'( I don't know if it was just too much or what because I saw on the forums that some people react the same way.

Meal 2:

Chicken salad on baby spinach

Ranch dressing

2 tangerines

Comments:

Best chicken salad of my life. This homemade mayo is a real life changer. Surprisingly the ranch actually tasted like ranch!

Wondering what olive oil you used?  I made some mayo last week using the recipe in the book and a light olive oil, but it tasted strongly of olive oil.  

Thanks!

Archived