Ben & Colie's W30 Log

the_only_colie

@lorri I used Bertolli light tasting olive oil but I happen to really like olive oil so it could just be me! I know one time I blended it for too long and it got a bitter taste.

Lately I've been using two yolks with Kroger brand light olive oil and it's been pretty good. Also Chosen avocado oil (cold pressed) has made some yummy mayo too. It's pretty mild in taste.

I've also been throwing in a couple of cloves of garlic to help with the emulsion and that makes a nice garlicky mayo if you're looking for a different taste.

Hope you find the mayo taste you're looking for! :)

Day 16 April 19

M1

Kippers

Mayo

Leftover roasted radishes, carrots, beets

M2

Porkchop

Chimichuri sauce

Sautéed carrots & leeks

Split a pear with Ben

Tangerine

Notes:

Today's my day off and I slept way too long. I woke up pretty much at lunch time. So did my dog. Usually he gets me up to take him out and feed him but I guess we were both exhausted from the storm keeping us up. So I missed breakfast and Ben grabbed a Lara bar. I will probably not eat again today. :/ bad habits!

Ben decided he doesn't like roasted beets. Which is too bad because I ordered one of those tabletop spiralizers that can do beets. But chimichuri sauce was 4.5/5. Jury is still out on leeks though which is too bad because I love them. I think the sauce was a little bitter because I blended it too long and it was evoo. Next time I'll blend the stuff and the do the oil by hand mix.

How did yall holding up in the floods? Tons of friends and family got stranded at home. The pictures I saw on facebook were insane! My parents are down in College Station and even they mentioned heavy rain fall hitting them for a few days.  :unsure:

@JeanetteO

We're fine for right now. Thanks for asking! :) I live near one of the bayous in Houston so every exit out of my neighborhood was in deep water but our street is one of the lucky ones that the water only came up to the curb.

My parents however are right next to one of the reservoirs that is overfilled and we're praying the dam holds up! :s

Another T-cell passed through and we're fine at the moment.

I used to live in Brian and then the south gate area of CS, and I don't think I remember flooding. So I would think and hope your parents would be safe! :)

Day 17 April 20

M1

Salmon

Cauliflower rice recipe

M2

Porkchop

Chimichuri sauce

Carrots & leeks

S (traffiiiiiiiic)

Cashew Lara bar

M3

Beef shank meat slow cooked in broth

Salt potatoes

Clementine

Notes:

Wanted to workout today but it didn't work out. Ha!

Both of us who were avid coffee drinkers (well me more so because I own 4 different types of specialty brewers :) ) slowly come to this point where we don't need caffeine or a coffee-like beverage in the morning.

We had eventually switched to black tea and almond milk during the whole 30 but that was such a pain.

Plus our real love was ice cold cold-brew. This is a big deal for Ben because he plans on not drinking soda in the morning (when he would run late to work) or any soda at all now that he's post whole30.

This also means I don't have to make almond milk every 3-4 days!

I need to get some epic bars or something besides Lara bars soon!!

Day 18 April 21

M1

Diced up leftover potatoes in eggs

Post WO:

Epic Bar

M2

Bone broth

Prosciutto

Veggies

Jicama chips

Guacamole

M3

Beef stuffed poblano peppers

Plum

Bone broth

Notes:

Maybe I need to take boiled eggs to the gym. I was thinking an epic bar would be a good post workout snack but the particular one I picked up was pretty fatty. It's too bad because they are very convenient and I need things to be as easy as possible so I don't make excuses not to work out. Because of the storm I was there for longer than I planned but I used the time on upper body machines I had never tried before. :)

I can't stop drinking this delicious broth. Omg. I let it cook for 48 hours. I expected that the bones would kinda dissolve like when I've done chicken but these didn't. Probably because they are massive brontosaurus bones. I saved them. Maybe even though they don't have any meat on them any more I can figure out something to do with them.

Day 19 April 23

M1

Dilly crab salad

Persian cucumbers

Butter lettuce and radicchio

Clementine

M2

Meat-bun burger

Potatoes

Notes:

I was so sore from yesterday's workout I slept in late and missed breakfast time. So I was a bad pussy cat :(

Usually I kind of over indulge on burger nights but tonight I stopped myself and ate a "normal" amount of food. I'm feeling pretty good. :D

Ben had himself a milkshake (he's post w30 but eats mostly what I make) and he didn't have his usual ibs type attack. So yay for NSV! :D

Day 20 April 24

M1

Salmon

Eggs over easy

Sautéed Kale

M2

Lettuce wrapped burger

Guacamole

Potatoes

Iced tea

M3

Sweet potato noodles

Chicken

Baby bellas

Recipe mashup between W30 book pesto and Against the Grain's creamy pesto and mayo mixed in.

Prosciutto

Notes: spiralizer was a waste! It was built for potatoes but totally fell apart. Bummer because we wanted sweet potato noodles. It's definitely getting returned. Ended up slicing lengthwise on my Julianne mandolin.

Dinner was a 5/5 for sure. It needed mayo to make it a little more creamy so I stirred in at the end.

I'm too scared to touch kale lol

Everything I read says things like "massage" it or its horrible, so it's made me not want to try and prep it and I really want kale chips  :angry:  :(  :huh:

The brand I would eat before isn't compliant, so I may just have to give in and massage the damn things  :wacko:

Archived