What's your hunger litmus test?

The Whole 30 litmus test suggests that if you're hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli then indeed, you must be famished (and not just itching for a craving).

That wouldn't work for me. Steamed fish (with soy/ginger/garlic, sesame oil) is one of my favorite dishes and broccoli.

My litmus test would be something like egg salad (hate mayonnaise) or pickled herring.

That would certainly make my hunger abet asap!

What's your litmus test?

• 2 weeks later...

If this is a not-so-serious/mostly-joking thread, my apologies for hijacking it and making it serious! But the use of words like "hate" and "disgust" here give me pause. I always interpreted the "steamed fish and vegetables" not to actually mean that hunger shouldn't be "am I so hungry I can choke down food I hate?" Steamed fish and broccoli is boring and bland, but hardly something most people actively dislike - I assumed it meant that the food shouldn't be the sort of thing most people ever crave, not repellent, but just "straight up fuel", so to speak. I mean, for most foods I truly hate, I would literally rather fast for a few days than eat it. I have been in the position of not having eaten for over 24 hours and was offered food that featured an item I loathe the texture of (olives, ugh) and I turned it down without a second thought.

Because if the metric of "real" hunger is "I'd eat disgusting food" I'm not sure I've ever in my life been that hungry.

• Moderators

If this is a not-so-serious/mostly-joking thread, my apologies for hijacking it and making it serious! But the use of words like "hate" and "disgust" here give me pause. I always interpreted the "steamed fish and vegetables" not to actually mean that hunger shouldn't be "am I so hungry I can choke down food I hate?" Steamed fish and broccoli is boring and bland, but hardly something most people actively dislike - I assumed it meant that the food shouldn't be the sort of thing most people ever crave, not repellent, but just "straight up fuel", so to speak. I mean, for most foods I truly hate, I would literally rather fast for a few days than eat it. I have been in the position of not having eaten for over 24 hours and was offered food that featured an item I loathe the texture of (olives, ugh) and I turned it down without a second thought.

Because if the metric of "real" hunger is "I'd eat disgusting food" I'm not sure I've ever in my life been that hungry.

The briney saltiness of olives is not something I'm interested in if I'm not hungry. Was disgust a strong word? Ya, maybe...

You're right that the litmus test of the broc and steamed fish is that if you are hungry enough to eat something bland and boring and not hyper stimulating, then you're probably hungry. Problem for some of us is that we actually like steamed fish and broccoli... so that's not a great litmus test...

Meadow Lily for instance said oysters were hers. Well I would happily eat oysters of any variety, raw or cooked until I exploded...

No one here is suggesting that you ever get to the point where you're 'so starving you choke down food you hate'. Only that if you're on the sofa in your jammies and you're thinking you're hungry enough to eat banana and almond butter, as yourself if you're also hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli... if you're not, then you're not really hungry.

@berrybird

Steamed fish and broccoli is boring and bland, but hardly something most people actively dislike - I assumed it meant that the food shouldn't be the sort of thing most people ever crave, not repellent, but just "straight up fuel", so to speak

That's how I took it! I like hardboiled eggs quite a bit, but I'd really rather eat them with some sort of salt or dip. So if I'm willing to eat one plain, then I must be actually hungry and not just craving the salt or dip.

Archived