Bone Broth evaporated during cooking!

CaroWalker

I am on day 12 of Whole 30...yesterday I gave bone broth a whirl. I don't have a large stockpot, so I used 2 lbs of bones and my 4 qt. dutch oven. I followed directions, cooked with lid on, but after about 8 hours there was only about a cup of broth left!!! Total fail. I strained the liquid, skimmed the fat, and enjoyed the hell out of it, though. I was knocked out by how flavorful this was. What did i do wrong??

Check on it every so often and add more water to replace what evaporates. At least when I make stock, the goal isn't reduction, it's just to keep the bones, gristle, and skin (and other stuff) boiling long enough for them to leech out their goodness. Also, if I let it reduce too much, it'll get way too salty (because I salt it before evaporation).

Do you have a pot bigger than 4 quarts? With stock-making taking such a long time (I do mine in 6 or so hours with herbs and veggie scraps and re-use bones), I like to take advantage of the good economy of scale and make huge batches I can freeze (about the same effort to make 12 qts of stock as it is to make 4 qts). A big 8 qt or even 12 qt stock pot is a fantastic investment. I got my stainless steel 8 qt at Target for $22 or so.

I keep topping mine up with water and I wait for them to dissolve a little bit (I use chicken bones the most)before I count it as finished.

Is yours a stove top one? You may need to add more water if a lot of it is escaping (one of my slow cookers has a slightly damaged lid and the seal is a bit compromised).

Adding more water to concentrated stock or broth is fine, chefs do it all the time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fail! and yes you could add water to the concentrated broth. Recommendations for bone broth are 12 to 24 hours for chicken, 24 to 48 for beef. The bones can get soft enough to eat, though I am not fond of the taste, not of beef bones. I make it in a slow cooker. If I were watching my stock pot, it would be difficult. Perhaps in that case, prepare it in a slow oven rather than stove top?

Archived