Kill all things and still exhausted on Day 12

I'm sure there are tons of posts about the topics I'm about to bring up but I'm too exhausted to look for them.  I'm on day 12 of my 3rd Whole 30 and I'm so unbelievably exhausted and not sleeping well.  On top of that, I'm moody and want to kill everything because I'm tired and now becoming frustrated and impatient.  I've been telling myself for the past 6 days that I'll get over the hump and starting feeling better.  Btw, I felt awesome the first week so I don't know what happened.  My workouts also took a nose dive this week (which I know is normal) and I took a couple extra rest days, but I just can't seem to sleep or shake the exhaustion.

Here's what a typical day looks like for me:

Wake-up and workout within an hour of waking up

Post-WOD: 1/2 palm chicken breast, 1/4 sweet potato

M1: Stupid easy paleo sweet and savory tortilla (4 eggs, 1/2 cup blueberries, coconut aminos, cinnamon, black pepper, salt) with 1 cup (after cooking) sauteed kale (olive oil, onion, salt, pepper), 8oz GT's Gingerade Kombucha, black coffee

M2: 2-3 cups mixed greens, 1.5 palms chicken breast or baked salmon, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, 1 hard boiled egg, drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil

M3: 2 chicken sausage sauteed in ghee, 1 cup root veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips) with ghee, 1 cup green beans with ghee

If I'm snacking, which is rare as I'm eating enough to go 4-5 hours but I work in a hospital so it happens at times, then usually I have a hard boiled egg, 1/2 handful of cashews, and an apple.  I had 1 RX bar during a particularly busy night when I didn't know when I'd get to my next meal.

I'm also drinking plenty of water, usually around 120 oz daily.

Any suggestions are welcome as I'm usually so energetic it's annoying to most people and I didn't really eat a whole bunch of junk prior to starting 12 days ago.  I just found myself loving RX bars and my post-wod protein shakes too much and subbing those into my diet instead of an actual meal.

Thanks! 

Your meals look pretty good.

Where are you in your monthly cycle?

If you're anywhere near that time of the month you may need to up your carb intake...

ETA: I'm assuming you're female because of the 'chick' in your username. If you're male then feel free to ignore me!  :ph34r:

I definitely could be being impacted by my monthly cycle. I'm probably about 7-10 days out and I usually have some insomnia and fatigue around this time.  I've just never had it to such an extreme before.  I literally have circles and bags under my eyes which is really unusual for me.  As I mentioned, I'm normally a really high energy person so this is just out of the ordinary.  I had a hormonal IUD the last few times I've been on a Whole 30 so I guess my hormones might be playing a more active role this time around.

Thanks for the feedback!  I added more carbs to M1 this morning and am feeling a little better.  Sweet potato hash, 3 eggs, 1/4 of an avocado, and 3/4 cup strawberries.  I'll try upping the carbs a little more over the next few days and see if I can kick this fatigue.  I'm seeing awesome results otherwise!  I already fit back into my "skinny jeans" which hasn't happened since 2012!  Woohoo for non scale victories!

Man, I had no idea that hormonal birth control could mess your body up so badly when I started taking it at age 14.  I'm 30 now and have been off all forms of birth control for 1.5 years and my body is still struggling with it.  I'll just try to keep that in mind for the next few days and be gentle on myself (and hopefully my fiancé, who is not thrilled with this whole moody development).  Extra rest, more carbs, and just hang in there...

If you're feeling extra cranky or anxious, it's a good idea to ramp up your starchy veg. Some people need as much as a fist sized serve with every meal (it may be only for a few days or during part of the cycle, rather than always). Low blood sugar can be a trigger for bad moods and anxiety.

Archived