organic canned beans

SandyJm

I have had to use canned items like green beans , asparagus, I know fresh is best, but  I am only able to get some items when I get my s.s. pay. I read labels and if I can't  say the word I put it down. I have totally cleared all my unhealthy foods. I did keep some canned spinach, canned green beans, and beets. These are for when I haven't any fresh or frozen items on hand. Also what about canned pineapple? The ingredients say 100% pineapple juice in pineapple chunks. Maybe I missed this in the book about canned items. I read the book in 3 days , took notes and thought I was on the right track.  I hope this can be addressed because I am really on fire for this program. I am documenting my meals, for me it works better. I am a note taker. 

Thanks SandyJm

Totally fine in a pinch or when the fresh version is out of season/overpriced. For the most part, canned and frozen veggies don't usually have weird extra additives in them (still, always check labels - some might have added flavors and fruit might be packed in sugary syrup instead of water/juice).  Here's the info for an average can of green beans: http://www.delmonte.com/vegetables/beans/cut-green  Just beans, water, and sea salt.

I use canned tomatoes for the vast, vast majority of my tomato needs.  Out of season, the available fresh tomatoes are pallid, watery awful things shipped from god knows where and picked WAY before properly ripe (and are not much better when in season).  Canned tomatoes?  Better quality because they're picked and canned when they're properly ripe and tasty.  If I want good fresh tomatoes, I'll wait until I have some in my garden or the farmers' markets are running.

Canned veggies and fruit are fine as long as the ingredients are Whole30 compliant. Watch out for fruit cans containing sneaky sugars.

Canned green beans are great with some canned tuna and olives :)

There are even some veggies like tomatoes which can be more nutritious canned.

Archived