"Oh my god, what DO you eat ?"

Ha! I am so going to start doing this! I just had someone ask me this question at work today. A group of people were talking about what was or wasn't 'paleo' and I heard someone say, "I'd die. I mean...what CAN you eat?" and then someone else said "Let's ask Catherine". I recounted my two meals for the day that I'd already eaten and they were impressed. Luckily, it was one of my better, ingredient diverse, days as I'd just been to the store. I'd have hated for them to ask me on a day when I ate tuna and steamed broccoli for lunch (which happens in a pinch).

Based on Derval's 81 ingredients by day 24, I'm going to shoot for 100 different items in 30 days starting tomorrow. Yay, a new challenge!

Day 11 for me and I am at about 64 unique items (and I have had carrots 18 times! :wub: ). Counting on this CSA to bump my veggies up. I have everything color coded and categorized and I am marking how many times I eat it and bolding things I am trying for the first time! Weeee paleo nerds! B)

I snap photos with my phone of the fresh produce on the belt in the check-out line. I text that to friends eating the same way. Helps keep us honest (with ourselves), and helps to be able to reference "what we ate" and "what can we eat". No cheating by hiding the crap out of the camera range.

The array has been . . . astonishing. Even challenging the kids to pick different varieties of apples, to compare the flavor and crispness. We might still record "apples" in this game, but if that is 7 different kinds, particularly the ones that don't dominate the market, that also helps prop up crop diversity (and smaller farmers, hopefully).

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished my second Whole 30 with a grand total of 112 ingredients! I didn't include dried herbs/spices, but did include fresh ones. Here's my spreadsheet:

https://docs.google....VZ1bnVHV28/edit

And if I combine my two Whole 30s together, I have a list of 130 ingredients:

https://docs.google....V9QLVYxZ1U/edit

[Those links are now public - sorry! I'm a rookie w Google Docs ;)]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Day 3 & I'm up to: eggs, coconut oil, portabella mushrooms, carrots, celery, olive oil, cashews, raw coconut oil/butter, pomogrante seeds, canned chicken, cod, cherries, bannas, nutritional yeast, fresh ginger, celery, pistachios, lemons, grape tomatos, garlic, squash, squash seeds, spinach, balsamic vinegar, coconut milk, kombucha, frozen berries, lettuce.

Ingredients that I have yet to use but plan to eat: lemongrass, mango, dried coconut, kale chips, shiitake mushrooms, cabbage, parsnips, sweet potatos, shallots, arame, lime, chia seeds, cinnamon, almonds, roma tomatos, avocado, almonds, apples, kiwi, organic chicken, almond meal, coconut flour, pumpkin pie spice, celery root, basil, kale, collard greens, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts....

I recall reading that most people eat fewer than 20 foods on a regular basis. I'm on day 4 of my first Whole30 and I can think of 20 foods I've eaten off the top of my head, and that's not including oils, spices and herbs!

eggs, avocado, spinach, pork, beef, apple, cabbage, carrot, celery, walnut, pecan, tuna, cauliflower, green bean, mushroom, romaine lettuce, sweet potato, tomato, red pepper, onion

Archived