Whole 30 Continued with Mods?

Sorry to be so needy. Quick story so you don't have to back read my previous posts.

I am 31, was bulimic for a billion years (well not quite, but it felt like it) Took on Whole30 to change everything- food relationships, health, etc. I always preferred to eat healthy, but bulimia was always lurking.

I have been BP (binge/purge) free since day one, with virtually no issues in that regard. I feel I have a pretty good outlook at the moment being that even with the gained weight from Whole 30 that it's ok. My body was going to do that regardless, and I know the Whole 30 has actually made recovery mucho easier and better for my body than the standard protocol.

I am continuing to eat 99.9% Whole 30 to allow my body to keep healing, with the .01% being the reality of interruptions, special occasions, etc. For example, I dined on some theater popcorn on our first date night since starting Whole 30 (I think this was on day 36ish) and mentally was perfectly fine with it. Which is a major woo-hoo for me. So.... to get to the point..

Realizing my body will take longer to recover than most (average physical recovery time is around 9 months) which essentially means, my body stops storing weight, accepting I am no longer trying to kill it, kidneys, bowels, etc. It can be more (3+years, or less 3 months..) I am thinking less because within just the month of Whole 30 I surpassed many of the milemarkers of recovery that I didn't see until like 5-6 months of the first time I quit.  BUT, I am looking for ways to be better to my body and realize that my digestive system is pretty unhappy at times. I try to chew my food as best as possible (lacking molars is a toughie for that. thanks bulimia) but I do what I can. I try to not eat raw veggies much. I drink 1 gallon of water per day. I do 30 minutes of exercise daily (or at least close to daily) unfortunately work on a computer for the majority of my day, I drink one kombucha a day, as well as ingest raw sauerkraut or gut shot (raw sauerkraut juice). My digestion seemed really happy at week 2-3 of Whole 30, but then got sporadic towards the end, and lately seems to be on hiatus. I had almost no bloating, and was fairly regular for a recovering bulimic. So I was reading about FODMAPs and thinking maybe lowering those in my diet to help, and maybe reintroduce as my body has healed more. BUT, I am finding conflicting info/lists so I was hoping someone had some thoughts on this. Any resources, ideas, or thoughts are appreciated. Anyone with experience in the success of helping along their digestive agenda with FODMAP diet? Thanks in advance. This forum has been awesome!

>This< is one of the best FODMAP articles I've found..... Have a read at the article & try eating from the green list (about half way down the page) for a while & see if things improve for you. I was low FODMAP for around 6 months (longer than necessary but I'd been in a bad place gut wise & wanted to allow adequate time for healing plus actually I didn't miss much) and have successfully reintroduced all the fructans I wanted to try save for broccoli which is not my friend. Stick with the kombucha & the gut shot, but maybe hold off on the kraut for a a few days as cabbage is unfortunately high FODMAP and even in kraut form can cause some issues once the bloating is there...

Well done on being B/P free - that is a HUGE accomplishment and one you should be proud of - and continuing with this way of eating you're doing all of the right things for continued recovery...

ETA: Sweet potatoes aren't listed there but MANY people who struggle with FODMAPs really struggle with sweet potatoes too.

>This< is one of the best FODMAP articles I've found..... Have a read at the article & try eating from the green list (about half way down the page) for a while & see if things improve for you. I was low FODMAP for around 6 months (longer than necessary but I'd been in a bad place gut wise & wanted to allow adequate time for healing plus actually I didn't miss much) and have successfully reintroduced all the fructans I wanted to try save for broccoli which is not my friend. Stick with the kombucha & the gut shot, but maybe hold off on the kraut for a a few days as cabbage is unfortunately high FODMAP and even in kraut form can cause some issues once the bloating is there...

Well done on being B/P free - that is a HUGE accomplishment and one you should be proud of - and continuing with this way of eating you're doing all of the right things for continued recovery...

ETA: Sweet potatoes aren't listed there but MANY people who struggle with FODMAPs really struggle with sweet potatoes too.

Awesome! What a great help and starting point! and Good to know on the Sweet Potatoes. I kinda am in love with them, but if I can give up cheesecake I can probably give up sweet potatoes too! Thanks so much for the info!

Personally I do fine with green tea, and having accidentally switched to decaf recently (I put the wrong box in my basket) I didn't see any change in symptoms either way - YMMV. If you think it's bothering you then you could always exclude it for a few days along with everything else and see how you feel once you add it back in... 

Archived