Day 21 and feeling horrible

I'm on day 21 and the first two weeks I felt great. However last Sunday (one week ago) I woke up and felt like I was hit by a train. Foggy head, splitting headache, overall feeing blah. I had not made any food changes to what I had been eating the first two weeks. I typically eat eggs and a little bit of avocado for breakfast, some chicken and a vegetable for lunch, fruit and/or a handful of nuts for a snack and dinner varies but almost always includes chicken (sometimes a different protein) and lots of vegetables. While I felt a bit better on Monday, the whole week I felt generally bad and had a headache off and on for most of it (have one right now) and had intense sugar cravings. I've also been constipated for most of the week.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I don't eat out since I've been wanting to make sure everything I eat is definitely compliant. My boyfriend is doing the whole 30 with me and basically eats the same things as I do and feels great. I understand I could have a sensitivity to something that he doesn't but not sure what it could be since I didnt start eating new foods last week.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel terrible.

• Moderators

We need more detail about what you are eating... quantities and what specific veggies. Feeling horrible could be a result of not eating enough overall. It could be because you are not eating an adequate amount of starchy veggies. We also need to know how much water you are drinking. Your body needs lots of water to flush itself well. :)

I've been eating zucchini (roasted and sautéed as noodles), Brussell sprouts (steamed and roasted), green beans (steamed), broccoli (steamed), roasted tomatos (I know technically a fruit), asparagus and mixed greens. Sometimes carrot sticks for a snack. I would say I eat zucchini and brussel sprouts the most. About a cup and a half to two cups is a serving size for me. I drink water constantly throughout the day (always have) and probably drink 10-15 glasses a day.

Thank you!

My gut tells me you're not eating enough, and so far you've made no mention of fat, plus most of your vegetables appear to be steamed. You've also mentioned snacks twice - if you feel the need to snack then you need to be eating more at each meal.

Lack of fat will most certainly result in headaches, lack of energy & cravings. Fat provides satiety, it is necessary for brain health, and for energy, and since the food we eat has a cumulative effect it will take a while for a deficiency to present itself but from there on in you're constantly playing catch up.

What do your actual meals look like?

Give us the specific make up of each meal  indicating portion sizes - tell us how much & which protein, how much & which fat, how much & which veg you're eating per meal... For example for breakfast I've just eaten 3 eggs scrambled in ghee with a large handful of chopped spinach all drizzled with hot sauce, about 6 cherry tomatoes & 4 large chopped dill pickles slathered in mayo, a glass of kombucha & a mug of rooibos tea....

Lack of fat will most certainly result in headaches, lack of energy & cravings. Fat provides satiety, it is necessary for brain health, and for energy, and since the food we eat has a cumulative effect it will take a while for a deficiency to present itself but from there on in you're constantly playing catch up.

I have eaten more fat in the past 22 days than I have in a very, very long time. I have enjoyed it thoroughly: avocado, toasted cashews, olives, coconut oil & EVOO. And I have NEVER gone through 22 days without my cravings running my life. I was wondering was caused it! Thank you! I just made my own mayo from the daily newsletter and am so excited to make egg salad :)

As a testament: There are 6 triple chocolate chip cookies from our local farm in my fridge that I bought for my son. Previously, they wouldn't have lasted long enough for me to give them to him. I have not had any desire to eat them! That's really huge for me. :) I am loving this way of eating!

I know i didn't mention fat before but i definitely do eat fat through out the day. Also, when i say "snack" that means once a day between lunch and dinner. I have an incredibly demanding job and need something to hold me over from lunch at 1pm to when i get home (between 8pm - 9:30pm). Also, because of my work environment I can't necessarily eat a mini meal. I find that eating a handful or cashews or almonds (sometimes an apple or carrot sticks) in between lunch and dinner leaves me feeling satiated to make it to the next meal. Also, at all of my meals i eat until i'm full so I'm not sure if i want to eat more at meals just for the sake of trying to avoid a snack once a day. 

i typically have a strong sweet tooth and am really proud of myself for resisting sweets for 21 days but my cravings have not subsided at all. 

also for reference i am a female, 5' 9" and 147 pounds (when i last weighed myself before starting the whole 30)

here is an example of a typical day: 

breakfast: 

1 egg and 1 egg white, scrambled and cooked in 1/2 teaspoon ghee

1/4 avocado

1 banana

1 cup of black coffee

lunch: 

1 cup of chicken breast cooked in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil

1 cup of zucchini and tomatoes tossed in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven

1/4 avocado

1 medium size apple

snack: 

cashews (i buy the individually portioned bags at trader joes. it's about a handful. package says 35g)

dinner: 

zucchini noodles (i eat about 2 - 21/2 zucchinis worth) sautéed in 1 tablespoon coconut oil

ground turkey (93% lean, 7% fat) cooked in 1 tablespoon olive oil and mixed with crush tomatoes, garlic, lemon (we cook the whole package and have leftovers. i eat about 6-8 oz of the turkey)

another dinner example: 

chicken breast cooked in 1 tablespoon coconut oil

1/2 steamed brussel sprouts topped with lemon juice and 1 teaspoon ghee

1 cup steamed green beans topped with 1 teaspoon ghee

1 white potato tossed with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and roasted 

I think your meals look a little light, especially breakfast.  A serving of eggs is as many as you can fit into your hand (for me that means 3-4 whole eggs).  Don't be afraid to add more food to your plate.  The template says 1-2 palms size portions of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies, and 1-2 thumb size serving of fat (not including what you're cooking in).  

I was also having a problem with low energy earlier in the weekend and was told to up my starchy veggies.  Adding in an extra sweet potato to my day and even a white potato (which I never eat) yesterday has helped me tremendously.  My fatigue is not nearly as overwhelming and I just needed to eat a little more.  

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Yeah, you're not eating enough.

As orca_chick said a serving of eggs when it is your only source of protein in a meal is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand - which is 3-4 for most females. And eat the whole egg - the yolk is where all the nutrients are. Have a half an avocado, and where are your veggies?? Eating fruit in the morning can leave you feeling hungrier sooner than if you'd had veg as it impacts blood sugar - which will in turn effect your energy levels, focus & mood.

Again, at lunch, eat half the avocado & add some more veg.

At dinner don't worry about using lean meats - fat is your friend here!

I strongly suspect that if you increase the size of your breakfast that you won't spend the rest of the day trying to play catch up, and you won't need that snack. I regularly go 6-7 hrs between meals 1 & 2 with no need for anything other than water. Your body will learn to tap into it's fat stores for uel - if you let it. If you think eating more is a struggle right now then plate a full sized template meal as described, eat of it what you can & then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - your appetite will soon grow.

If you're worried about eating so much because of weight or calories or whatever know that restricting food is counter productive as your metabolism will slow down so as to only use the energy (food) provided.

In short, eat up  :)

Archived