Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

Hey everyone! My name is Angela and I'm looking to start the whole30 on March 21. I'm doing it in hopes to clear up some skin issues i'm having that  I feel is related to my poor diet. I would love to do this with someone since I know it will be difficult!

Thanks!!

Angela

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of starting March 20. It'll be my second W30, I'm looking to kick some bad habits I've picked back up since I finished my 1st W30 this past October. now that I've put it in writing, I have to follow through, right? :)

Mindy

I'm thinking of starting March 20. It'll be my second W30, I'm looking to kick some bad habits I've picked back up since I finished my 1st W30 this past October. now that I've put it in writing, I have to follow through, right? :)

Right! That was my thought just before I pushed the POST button. If I press this I've got to do it. I did a whole60 last year, 30 days wasn't long enough for me.

It's only 30 days. We can do anything for 30 days!

Boy, somehow I really messed up using the quote button. :)

Good evening to all. I will be starting the 19th. I had already picked the date. It's only 2 days ahead of you, so do you mind if I hang out here? In prep I've been eliminating the "stuff" that is not on plan. Cleaned out the pantry and the frig is tomorrow. I'm getting some soup recopies together so I have something quick for the morning and at work. Has anyone picked a go to meal to keep stocked?

Good question...some go to meals for me are tuna, eggs, a large pork roast, steaks, ribs, compliant hot dogs, apple sausage. We have our own free range chickens, so eggs are easy and always available.

I'm trying to recall all the things I loved during my first whole30...

Homemade mayo

Sweet potatoes. Quick in microwave sprinkled with smoked paprika and olive oil.

Kalamata olives

Spinach sauteed in coconut oil, drizzled with olive oil

Avocados

Ribs with a dry rub

Shredded sweet potato hash (one of my favorites)

Roasted veggies of all kinds

Kalua pig recipe from nom nom paleo

Everyone getting ready for Monday? What are your meal plans for the first day?

I'm going to make a breakfast casserole on Saturday. Going to put a pork roast in crock pot on Monday morning for that night's supper. But have no idea what lunch will be on day 1.

Well.... I was cutting out tell grains and sugar. Woke late for work. Need gas. Ooops, swerved thru the drive thru. Coffee with cream and a donut. I don't feel bad physically, but I am upset with myself.

I’m so excited to have so many responses and to have you guys doing this with me. I’ve done so much research now and have some meals picked out to start with next week. I found the nom nom paleo site extremely helpful!! I’m even thinking of documenting this journey with video. 

KelseyHenry, mlb0320, Whole30Sue, firedancer41 - So excited you’ve committed!!

MKLeonard14 - Yes now that you’ve replied to this post there is no backing out! =p

LydiaJo - Yes please join us! That’s great you’ve cleaned out the kitchen. I’m doing that this weekend and planning to go to whole foods tonight to stock up on things that I can’t get at the normal grocery store! Preparation is key.

Whole30Sue - Man a breakfast casserole sounds good! I might do that on week two. I’m thinking of making everything super simple/easy for the first week. Also I watched nom nom paleo's video on how to make homemade mayo and it was so easy!! Where has that been all my life?!

There’s this one soup recipe that looks super simple that I’m planning to use from the nom nom paleo site http://nomnompaleo.com/post/129592158903/simple-egg-drop-soup

I’ve started on writing my meals out for next week and it kind of looks like this:

B - porridge with fruit - i still may do smoothies here even though they say not too (what do you guys think?)

S - protein balls (mix of nuts, dates, coconut)

L - Egg Drop Soup and maybe a veggie side

S - protein balls and maybe carrots?

D - protein (chicken or salmon), some sort of sautéed veggie and maybe a sweet potato?

Still working through what I’m going to eat, but this is just an idea.

I’ve picked out some of my favorite, easy meals from the nom nom paleo site if anyone is interested. See below:

LUNCH OPTIONS

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/30457067976/a-week-of-paleo-school-lunches-part-4-of-5

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/30523413645/a-week-of-paleo-school-lunches-part-5-of-5

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/129592158903/simple-egg-drop-soup

DINNER

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/93277114563/slim-palates-pistachio-crusted-salmon

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626061164/roasted-broccoli-bacon-recipe

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/131794514903/pressure-cooker-spaghetti-squash

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/9622823879/tomato-and-basil-salad

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Low-Carb-Sausage-and-Egg-Noodles-1544632?columns=4&position=2%2F40

Also I used yummly to save some Whole30 complaint meals, but double check to make sure =)

http://www.yummly.com/profile/AngelaM63838/collections/Whole30?columns=3&position=3%2F9

Would you guys want to join in on a Facebook group to make it easier for us to stay accountable? 

I'm so glad that someone else is excited too!! First week will be hard, but I'm ready to get off the sugar!!

A disadvantage of doing a Facebook group is that it is separate from this forum. If we stay here, others with much experience can check in on our thread and may nudge us when we are headed down the wrong path. I had someone give me tough love advice on my squimishness to try homemade mayo and now I love it. I've seen other groups stay in threads just like this one and very successfully support each other.

Good evening to all. I will be starting the 19th. I had already picked the date. It's only 2 days ahead of you, so do you mind if I hang out here? In prep I've been eliminating the "stuff" that is not on plan. Cleaned out the pantry and the frig is tomorrow. I'm getting some soup recopies together so I have something quick for the morning and at work. Has anyone picked a go to meal to keep stocked?

I am also starting on the 19th. I am making some white chicken chili, turkey meatballs and a beanless chili recipe to freeze and eat for dinner for at least the first week. Lunches I already just eat tuna w/mayo, so just have to find soy free tuna and paleo mayo. I have a rather long shopping list for tomorrow am! My mom lives with us and does all the cooking so I will have everything all ready so she can just heat my stuff up when she makes dinner for hubby and herself. I'm not sure on breakfast yet as I don't have time during the week to make eggs. I may just make some sausage out of ground pork and freeze some precooked patties to heat up at work. I can't clean out fridge and pantry as I am the only one in the house doing this so it is time for self control! Glad I am not alone!

Hey everyone! My name is Angela and I'm looking to start the whole30 on March 21. I'm doing it in hopes to clear up some skin issues i'm having that  I feel is related to my poor diet. I would love to do this with someone since I know it will be difficult!

Thanks!!

Angela

I'm starting on the 19 and will happily follow along this thread for support. I am hoping this will help with my season allergies! I am reading "It Starts With Food" and it is super interesting and I found my way here. :)

Sorry can't remember who I was responding to

Pick a shelf to claim as yours. Move stuff there that you know is on plan. In my case I moved all my daughter's stuff to a high shelf (she's 5'7 while I'm 5 even) and her snacks to a container in her room. Maybe you could switch out condiments as they're used up. Baby steps and little changes will get us there and maybe make our family a little healthier.

Mary,

Breakfast is just a meal. Plan on the leftovers (previously prepared foods) from the day before. When I was growing up it wasn't all that unusual to have cold chicken and fried mash potatoes. I plan on having soup that I can drink in the car and finger foods. As long as it fits into the template it good.

Hi everyone,

I'd love to join you all!  I have done a few Whole30's and more recently some short resets, but it's time to do another fully focused one.  I've been away from the forum for a few months and I've missed it!  I initially started Whole30's while looking into an anti-inflammatory diet because of tendonitis and other injury issues that were getting in the way of training.  The nutrition focus seemed to make a difference, and in 2015 I finally was able to start running again after struggling with injuries that kept me sidelined off and on for several years.  I ran my first half marathon this past October, and my second one last weekend.  In the course of my training, though, I overdid the fueling and put back on a few of the pounds that I had previously lost.  What?!  No fair!  All that training and I *gained* weight?!  Yes, it's true that I can't eat a hamburger the size of my head after a hard workout without some repercussions.  So I'm back to re-calibrate and figure out what I need to do to fuel my training at the right level.

I'm also back because the Whole30 forum community is awesome, supportive and full of insights.  And I've found it enormously motivating.  So I'm back and hope to be able to pitch in and help others as well.  Being part of a forum and contributing to it also makes me more accountable, and I have also met some really wonderful people through it.  So there is plenty of motivation to be had here.  Yay team!

Mary, regarding breakfasts: this is probably the single biggest positive impact that prior W30's have had on me.  My approach to breakfast has completely changed.  The "Meal 1" idea got me past the hump of thinking breakfast needs to be about eggs.  I almost never have eggs for breakfast anymore.  Instead, I have a sausage (the Aidell's chicken apple sausages are compliant and really tasty), avocado (1/4 to 1/2 - fear not happy fat!), and fill the rest of the plate with veggies.  I like roasted veggies for breakfast.  I will roast a ton of veggies on the weekend and eat them in different combos all week.  Usually I'll have some roasted brussels sprouts and roasted cauliflower or asparagus or sautéed greens.  If I'm doing a big workout I'll include something starchy like mashed sweet potatoes or roasted parsnips.  I still eat this way most of the time and I love it.  I feel great and it fills me up for hours.

Angela, thanks for kick-starting the March 21 crew!  Happy prepping this weekend, gang!

I’ve started on writing my meals out for next week and it kind of looks like this:

B - porridge with fruit - i still may do smoothies here even though they say not too (what do you guys think?)

S - protein balls (mix of nuts, dates, coconut)

L - Egg Drop Soup and maybe a veggie side

S - protein balls and maybe carrots?

D - protein (chicken or salmon), some sort of sautéed veggie and maybe a sweet potato?

Hi again Angela!

It is so great that you are diving in and reading up.  But I think some of the meals you're planning aren't yet meeting the spirit of the Whole30.  While they are technically Paleo, they're running a bit fast and loose with the program recommendations.  I highly highly recommend going to the Whole30 website and looking through the information there.  And there is TONS of great info here on the forum.  This meal planning template is super helpful:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You should be eating enough at each of your three meals that a snack isn't necessary.  I am almost never hungry during a Whole30.  Make sure each meal has enough protein, veggies and fat (fear not fat!  Almost everyone has to get over this hump!), drink plenty of water, and you're golden.  And you will feel AWESOME.

Happy Whole30!

Higs

Hi to everyone, I've just joined the forum and had already selected the 21st as my start date, so brill that the journey could be shared!... Never joined anything like this before, looks like some fab ideas here - can't wait to try the breakfasts and create my own plan over today & tomorrow..

Thanks for posting all tips so far, I'll definitely check out the paleo website.

Hello, I also started today, March 19. My goal is to help clear up rosacea symptoms as well as some other inflammation-related issues that lead to a "general feeling of unwellness". I did a doctor-prescribed elimination diet last fall, which went well, but the re-introducing foods part was a disaster and it took less than a month for all old habits to start again (and symptoms to reappear). Trying Whole30 this time largely for the support community--it was too hard for me all on my own! =)

PS bfast today was scrambled eggs with mushrooms, zucchini, green onion and green pepper. Also 2 cuties (mandarin oranges). I need to watch out for fruit...maybe will limit it to once a day (or less!) so it doesn't feed my sweet tooth.

Just remembered one of my go to meals from last time I did a whole30. I keep wild caught already peeled and deveined shrimp in freezer. And I always have sweet potatoes. The shrimp doesn't take long to thaw. Cook it up in a skillet with oil of choice and a season all type seasoning. Cook sweet potato in microwave. I drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika. This one was often a life saver.

Archived