Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Can i join in too. I also picked the 21st as my start date. I have thought about starting a few times but now i know this is something i need to do..

Thanks for all the ideas on meals..i feel a bit overwhelmed..

Happy you are joining us!! It can feel overwhelming. Just take a couple of days at a time. What are you planning for day one?

Chorizo Breakfast Casserole - I just made a breakfast casserole for the week. I must be getting more brave. I didn't have a recipe. I browned some chorizo, onion and bell pepper. Added some shredded potato and chopped jalapeños and a bunch of spinach. Cooked it down. Added ten eggs and baked it. Tastes pretty good. A little on the spicy side. I'm going to cut it into squares and freeze. I bought cilantro and avocado to go with it. Very happy with my creation! I need something quick in the mornings.

Next I am going to mix up a copycat Lawry's seasoned salt:

1/3 cup salt

1 1/2 teaspoons arrow root powder

1 1/2 tablespoons celery salt

1 tablespoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients. Stir and press with a fork for couple minutes to release essences between spices. Store in sealed container.

I got it from The Spice Guru on food.com and changed it up to be whole30 compliant. My husband loves it. I put on steaks, burgers, shrimp, etc.

And I boiled a dozen eggs to have just in case.

Hi team March 21!

I'm getting a bit of a jump start today since I'm cutting out caffeine as well, and I know I'll have headaches for a couple days.  I already feel sluggish but maybe that's just mental?

Melissa Joulwan is one of my favorite Whole30 bloggers and recipe-creators.  She turned me on to the idea of the weekly cookup, which is a BIG time-saver and makes Whole30 planning so much easier!  She is also a tremendous cook (her chocolate chili is the BOMB and one of my favorite go-to's).  She also has some great meal planning ideas.  Here is a link to give you guys the general idea:

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Sue, that chorizo casserole sounds delish!

I have a giant stock pot of bone broth on the stove and I'm headed out to the store to stock up on the last of my provisions.  Good luck everyone!

These ribs are one of the things that I found during my first whole30 that has stayed on our menu. I just go a little easier on the cayenne. I found that I don't use all of the rub per cooking, so I triple the spices and keep the jar in the pantry and it lasts for about 10 cookings of the recipe. Very very good!! And easy. Another thing I mixed up today for week 1. I teach at a college and get home around 3pm so that allows for perfect timing for this to be a week night dinner.

https://paleopcos.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/oven-baked-pork-ribs-whole30-compliant/comment-page-1/

So many wonderful ideas, I've added chorizo to my list for today's shop... Thanks for sharing the favourites! I think that if I plan to just cook many of the super tasty meals and concentrate on the grocery shopping, cooking and preparing I'll hopefully not even notice I'm not eating the old tired routine way... Well I'll report back in yo see how that theory goes in practise!

Heading off to re organise the pantry shelves now to ensure I've the correct condiments - good luck for the big start tomorrow !

So many wonderful ideas, I've added chorizo to my list for today's shop... Thanks for sharing the favourites! I think that if I plan to just cook many of the super tasty meals and concentrate on the grocery shopping, cooking and preparing I'll hopefully not even notice I'm not eating the old tired routine way... Well I'll report back in yo see how that theory goes in practise!

Heading off to re organise the pantry shelves now to ensure I've the correct condiments - good luck for the big start tomorrow !

As with any thing, check the ingredients label, some chorizo includes grain as a filler.

Hi everyone,

I'm starting TODAY!  I am a sugar addict and I know it effects my health, definitely my weight, probably my achy joints.  This looks like a forum where people actually respond to others, which is exciting.

This week is spring break from school and I planned a staycation to do the Whole 30 and devote time to it.  Off to make my scrambled eggs.  
GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

TeacherP

Hi everyone,

I'm starting TODAY!  I am a sugar addict and I know it effects my health, definitely my weight, probably my achy joints.  This looks like a forum where people actually respond to others, which is exciting.

This week is spring break from school and I planned a staycation to do the Whole 30 and devote time to it.  Off to make my scrambled eggs.  

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

TeacherP

Welcome!! I am a sugar addict too. Definitely. I did a whole60 last year. After a few weeks of reintroductions, we went on an Alaskan cruise. I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted on that vacation and the addiction to sugar took over. It is not something I can do in moderation. Congrats on starting today! I start tomorrow. I know the first couple of days will be a battle, but right now I am excited. It was very liberating last time to be free of the hold sugar had on me. Enjoy your week off. It can be fun exploring new foods. And I can kill hours browsing for recipes.

Sue

Oh, you had to remind me that my dd age 15 is off this week. Gee, maybe that's why we had spring break party last week. Silly mama. I wish I was on spring break. The weather here is beautiful.

We are finishing spring break today. And it is beautiful here too. But we had lots of rainy days this week. I didn't get near as much accomplished this week as I planned, but I did commit to another whole30, so that's something right there.

Hello forum friends - I'm new and starting March 21st too.  I would love support.  My goals are to live in health and well being by eating for the healthy energy needed to enjoy a long life.  So glad to join this group.

Vickie

Hello forum friends - I'm new and starting March 21st too.  I would love support.  My goals are to live in health and well being by eating for the healthy energy needed to enjoy a long life.  So glad to join this group.

Vickie

Great to have you join us! Love your goal statement, really sums it up!

Thanks for the ideas! If anyone has mapped out their menu for the week, would you share? Looking forward to this!

Mary

For some reason, I can't seem to map out more than a few days at a time. So far I have:

Day 1

M1: chorizo egg spinach casserole, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

M2: chicken salad, boiled eggs, olives, orange

M3: Nom nom paleo's kalua pig with homemade mayo, sweet potato drizzle with olive oil and smoked paprika

Day 2

M1: same

M2: sweet potato with taco meat, avocado

M3: left over kalua pig, cabbage cooked in the juice from the roast pig

Day 3

M1: same

M2: chicken salad over lettuce, boiled egg, olives

M3: chicken thighs baked over a layer of carrots, onions, and potato wedges

Looks like my plan needs more veggies at lunch, glad you asked or I would not have caught that.

I'm in! This will be my second whole 30....I can't tell you how good I felt after the first one, and it was  good  for about a month and then I went off the rails....I just made this decision a few minutes ago and haven't done any planning yet, so I will get back to you about that.

As with any thing, check the ingredients label, some chorizo includes grain as a filler.

Thanks so much - great point! I found good cooking chorizo just with paprika and salt as added ingredients! So have cooked up a big pot of chorizo, clarified butter, pumpkin, Charlotte potatoes, courgette, red cabbage, barberry, parsley & tomato casserole for tomorrow's dinner. I hate waste so these were the veggies I had already in the pantry.. Will try to have less nightshades for the next batch ... Poached mackerel with lemon & avocado ready to add to veg for breakfast and a chicken meal left overs for tomorrow's lunch...

I've been cramming up on differing recipes today & meal planning. Just so eager to get my digestion back on track.

Not sure how I'll manage without biscuits not to mention the regular intervals at which they pop up in the day, but I think everyone must have their food cushion?!... Well good luck to all for the 21st

Welcome everyone!  Buckle up for the Whole30 - it's a good one!

I've just finished doing my meal prep.  I am a bit lazy in the kitchen and don't mind eating the same thing a few times (especially if it's really tasty) and I'm cooking for one because my partner has absolutely zero interest in my W30-ing.  Well, actually, he will participate in a meal here and there, but tends to skip the mountain of veggies I make.  So on the docket for this week are a few standbys, and I mix and match meals depending on mood.

Turkey coconut stew - this recipe was my inspiration, but I changed it up a lot:  http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/07/20/simple-supper-friday-coconut-turkey-stew/

Instead of kale I use chard, and I also add in ginger, turmeric, galangal, and lime to make it more Thai flavored.

Lamb burgers - with chopped shallot and coconut aminos.

Veggies in the fridge:  roasted brussels sprouts with pine nuts, roasted asparagus with saffron salt, mashed cauliflower.  Still to come, a giant stir fry with snow peas, bok choy, mushrooms, zucchini, leeks and spinach.  I'll throw that on the cauliflower mash and have a lamb burger on the side.

Three avocados are ripening on the counter.

Later in the week I'll probably throw something in the crock pot.  I like to keep my freezer stocked with emergency meals.  Right now there is some mulligatawny stew in there that is to die for.  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/05/10/wf2-recipe-mulligatawny-stew/

Remember to hydrate a lot, especially as your body is detoxing.  I think the first couple days are the hardest.  Get ready to rumble!

I finished day 2. Managed not to let any of the candy or cupcakes jump into my mouth. One thing I realized was that I wasn't hungry all day. actually had to force myself to make dinner.

To everyone starting tomorrow...have a great day starting with a great breakfast.

Welcome everyone!  Buckle up for the Whole30 - it's a good one!

I've just finished doing my meal prep.  I am a bit lazy in the kitchen and don't mind eating the same thing a few times (especially if it's really tasty) and I'm cooking for one because my partner has absolutely zero interest in my W30-ing.  Well, actually, he will participate in a meal here and there, but tends to skip the mountain of veggies I make.  So on the docket for this week are a few standbys, and I mix and match meals depending on mood.

Turkey coconut stew - this recipe was my inspiration, but I changed it up a lot:  http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/07/20/simple-supper-friday-coconut-turkey-stew/

Instead of kale I use chard, and I also add in ginger, turmeric, galangal, and lime to make it more Thai flavored.

Lamb burgers - with chopped shallot and coconut aminos.

Veggies in the fridge:  roasted brussels sprouts with pine nuts, roasted asparagus with saffron salt, mashed cauliflower.  Still to come, a giant stir fry with snow peas, bok choy, mushrooms, zucchini, leeks and spinach.  I'll throw that on the cauliflower mash and have a lamb burger on the side.

Three avocados are ripening on the counter.

Later in the week I'll probably throw something in the crock pot.  I like to keep my freezer stocked with emergency meals.  Right now there is some mulligatawny stew in there that is to die for.  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/05/10/wf2-recipe-mulligatawny-stew/

Remember to hydrate a lot, especially as your body is detoxing.  I think the first couple days are the hardest.  Get ready to rumble!

Oh wow, I read the mulligatawny stew recipe and it sounds amazing! Going to have to try it!

I started today! I've been planning for over a week now and have my meal plan set up for the rest of the week. I'm hoping to increase my energy levels and get a better handle on my anxiety symptoms. I think I'm going to have an especially hard time when I travel home for Easter weekend, so I'm hoping to get a lot of support from everyone in this group! Looking forward to this journey!

Archived