Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

Hi All,

Got through Day 1 without a lot of challenges,  I was reminded that food addictions are as much habit as chemistry.  Last night while watching tv I was drinking a cup of tea and thought wow, I'm not eating a cookie, which would be the usual.  After I realized it I was really sensitive to that.  I'm sure it's just one of many moments to come.

Higs, I was so glad to see your reference to Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage.  It's delicious and love thatt it's compliant.  The biggest challenge I have right now is how to drink tea/coffee.  I have purchased coconut milk yet but am going to the store soon.  I did put a splash of orange juice in my herbal lemon tea which wasn't too bad.  

Meal prep this pm.  Have a good day all.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so happy to find all you March 21st-ers. I started today as well. My husband was going to be my Whole30 buddy, but his work travel increased and he decided not to. Soooo . . . I am glad for your company!

Since I'm nursing an 8 month old I'll be having 4 meals/day. I don't have a sweet tooth but I do have a wine-tooth ;) That will probably be the hardest thing for me. That and dropping stevia from my coffee.

I'm carrying about 20 extra lbs since the pregnancy. Wouldn't mind saying goodbye to those -- and eczema and dry skin, too. But mostly I'm looking to make a shift towards healthy eating that is sustainable. I've tried lots over the last 5 years: raw veganism, vegetarianism, carb cycling, calorie tracking. None of those approaches have felt good long term.

So here I am.

Did a lot of cooking this weekend. Nom Nom Paleo Kalua Pig & Korean short ribs, corned beef, roast chicken, sweet potato hash and a couple large egg bakes all ready to go in the fridge. 

Day 1 is going well. Two meals down, 2 to go. 

Hey all, my wife and I are starting whole30 today, March 21st! 

Our hope is to clear up some skin issues, kick sugar addiction, and make some positive overall changes in our relationship to food. Wouldn't mind losing a few pounds too!

Confession, I'm at work, and just ate a mint. Didn't even realize it until I tasted mint in my mouth 15 minutes later! Guess day 1 will officially be tomorrow! ha

Today is my Day 1 also!  This will be my 2nd Whole 30 and this time my husband is joining me.  I am looking to clear up some eczema & an inflammatory back issue. Oh yeah, and kill my sugar dragon--it is fierce!

I didn't join the forum last time but am looking forward to it this time!

I'm very excited that we have such a big group to support each other! I definitely need the accountability of coming here and sharing.

Day 1 is going good for me. Breakfast was on plan. I had a hard time eating all of my lunch, but I know that's normal in the beginning. I put it in the fridge and will eat the rest when I can get it down. I'm cooking up some mushrooms and onions, roasted broccoli, and sweet potato hash for the week.

Hi All,

Got through Day 1 without a lot of challenges,  I was reminded that food addictions are as much habit as chemistry.  Last night while watching tv I was drinking a cup of tea and thought wow, I'm not eating a cookie, which would be the usual.  After I realized it I was really sensitive to that.  I'm sure it's just one of many moments to come.

Higs, I was so glad to see your reference to Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage.  It's delicious and love thatt it's compliant.  The biggest challenge I have right now is how to drink tea/coffee.  I have purchased coconut milk yet but am going to the store soon.  I did put a splash of orange juice in my herbal lemon tea which wasn't too bad.  

Meal prep this pm.  Have a good day all.

A domino effect...I'm glad to see you reference Aidell's sausage..I completely forgot I bought some!

As for coffee, last time I did a whole30 I just stirred in some coconut milk. But I didn't really like the texture. I ended up giving up my coffee. Today I tried blending the coffee and coconut milk for a few pulses in my blender, and I liked it much better.

Today is my Day 1 also!  This will be my 2nd Whole 30 and this time my husband is joining me.  I am looking to clear up some eczema & an inflammatory back issue. Oh yeah, and kill my sugar dragon--it is fierce!

I didn't join the forum last time but am looking forward to it this time!

Welcome!!! This is my second whole30 also! But my husband has zero interest in joining me. I have an enormous sugar dragon. I definitely need this forum to help me kill it.

I started today as well! I tried to get other to do it with me, but no one was up for it. I tried a while30 two years ago but only made it three days. This time I set myself up for success by timing it with spring break so that I have the first week to adjust and cook. I'm really excited and need to do this for myself, but I need you all for the support!

I'm in the same boat! Giving my body a break to do the healing it needs. Happy spring break to us!

Hi everyone,

I'm starting TODAY! I am a sugar addict and I know it effects my health, definitely my weight, probably my achy joints. This looks like a forum where people actually respond to others, which is exciting.

This week is spring break from school and I planned a staycation to do the Whole 30 and devote time to it. Off to make my scrambled eggs.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

TeacherP

I am so happy to find all you March 21st-ers. I started today as well. My husband was going to be my Whole30 buddy, but his work travel increased and he decided not to. Soooo . . . I am glad for your company!

Since I'm nursing an 8 month old I'll be having 4 meals/day. I don't have a sweet tooth but I do have a wine-tooth ;) That will probably be the hardest thing for me. That and dropping stevia from my coffee.

I'm carrying about 20 extra lbs since the pregnancy. Wouldn't mind saying goodbye to those -- and eczema and dry skin, too. But mostly I'm looking to make a shift towards healthy eating that is sustainable. I've tried lots over the last 5 years: raw veganism, vegetarianism, carb cycling, calorie tracking. None of those approaches have felt good long term.

So here I am.

Did a lot of cooking this weekend. Nom Nom Paleo Kalua Pig & Korean short ribs, corned beef, roast chicken, sweet potato hash and a couple large egg bakes all ready to go in the fridge. 

A new baby, nursing AND you did all that cooking?  I am impressed.  Keep going, you can do it. :D

So here I am.

Wow, a new baby, nursing AND you did all that cooking?  Way to go! :D

Good morning! How was everyone's first day? Or whatever day you are on? I know we have some here who started sooner.

Mine was good. I didn't eat breakfast as early as I should have. Still figuring out the timing. One of my goals for this whole30 is to not use nuts as a snack. I relied on them way too much during my first whole30. And I got through the day without craving cashews!

I also didn't eat dinner last night until 9pm, but I knew that was going to happen. So I had a snack around 5pm.

I have lymphedema in my left arm from breast cancer treatment, it isn't really big, just slight swollen and gets uncomfortable at times through the day, and this morning it already feels better. I forgot how amazing this way of eating can be, and so quickly.

I hope everyone is managing ok, the first week can be the hardest. I'm planning on almost the identical menu today. I don't mind eating the same thing for a few days. And I'm probably in the minority on this, but I didn't even take a starting weight. I am in such need of getting this sugar dragon under control, that even though I need to lose weight, this whole30 has nothing to do with weight loss for me. Which is very different than my first time.

I must get my health under control. I have two beautiful daughters. My oldest is eighteen, she has Spina Bifida and is paralyzed from the waist down and has other issues that go along with that. I can't have a cancer recurrence. I must live a very long time to be here for her. She has the potential to be fully independent but still needs a lot of help. She is attending the same college where I teach, we are blessed that this has worked out so she can experience more independence with me kind of in the "background" just in case. So, actually, there is a lot riding on my health I guess.

Well, I got a lot deeper in my post than I planned this morning, smile.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

Good morning! How was everyone's first day? Or whatever day you are on? I know we have some here who started sooner.

Mine was good. I didn't eat breakfast as early as I should have. Still figuring out the timing. One of my goals for this whole30 is to not use nuts as a snack. I relied on them way too much during my first whole30. And I got through the day without craving cashews!

I also didn't eat dinner last night until 9pm, but I knew that was going to happen. So I had a snack around 5pm.

I have lymphedema in my left arm from breast cancer treatment, it isn't really big, just slight swollen and gets uncomfortable at times through the day, and this morning it already feels better. I forgot how amazing this way of eating can be, and so quickly.

I hope everyone is managing ok, the first week can be the hardest. I'm planning on almost the identical menu today. I don't mind eating the same thing for a few days. And I'm probably in the minority on this, but I didn't even take a starting weight. I am in such need of getting this sugar dragon under control, that even though I need to lose weight, this whole30 has nothing to do with weight loss for me. Which is very different than my first time.

I must get my health under control. I have two beautiful daughters. My oldest is eighteen, she has Spina Bifida and is paralyzed from the waist down and has other issues that go along with that. I can't have a cancer recurrence. I must live a very long time to be here for her. She has the potential to be fully independent but still needs a lot of help. She is attending the same college where I teach, we are blessed that this has worked out so she can experience more independence with me kind of in the "background" just in case. So, actually, there is a lot riding on my health I guess.

Well, I got a lot deeper in my post than I planned this morning, smile.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

Talk about a powerful "why." I have a cousin who has Spina Bifida; his life is full of love and challenges. Support teams are crucial/ You are so wise to tend to your own health and continued recovery. Wishing you an awesome Whole30.

How is Day 2 going for everyone? Those who started earlier - give us a peak at our futures! :)

I'm feeling very full after meals and enjoying longer stretches to get things done, without the constant need to snack (have not needed to snack yet).

I spent some time with the success stories this morning and plan on visiting whenever inspiration is needed: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/26-success-stories/

Sue, thank you for sharing your story, and what a motivator.  fifthj is absolutely right about a "powerful why."  I'm really glad you're on our Whole30 team: you are contributing so much to our little group already!

I'm on Day 4 and happy to say that the fog has lifted.  I always quit coffee on my Whole30's even though it's not required - mostly because coffee is such a crutch for me, and if I'm going for clean eating, for me coffee needs to not be part of the picture.  I know to expect a couple days of headaches and fatigue as I'm going through caffeine withdrawals.  That's the main reason I decided to start on Saturday - I need to be able to function at work!  Yesterday I was a little sleepy and foggy-headed, and today I'm feeling pretty good.

I did a 4 mile run yesterday and wasn't surprised that it was pretty sluggish…  It will probably be a week or two before my running is back to normal.

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I am on day 4. I am doing this on my own (well my 26yo daughter is doing it with me but she lives in another state), so I did food prep Saturday and Sunday for this week. My wonderful husband did a lot of it and did partake of my meals on the weekend. Saturday we made Whole30 White Chicken Chili -

http://mylifewellloved.com/whole-30-white-chicken-chili-paleo/#vo3O21GKqOuyAKEV.32, hubby and I ate it for dinner and I had 3 servings left that I packaged up. Then Sunday we made Emergency Meatballs - http://stupideasypaleo.com/2015/07/18/emergency-meatballs/. I found some marinara sauce at Walmart with no sugar so after baking and letting them drain on paper towels I added the meatballs to the sauce and ate it over a baked potato. I cooked spaghetti noodles for hubby and my mom. I had 5 servings of the meatballs/marinara sauce left. I couldn't find Paleo mayo anywhere so we made some and it turned out great! Hubby took 1 lb of ground pork and seasoned it up and made me 5 patties for Meal 1 every day this week. I browned some ground turkey and seasoned it and used it in scrambled eggs on Sunday and put the rest in baggies in the freezer for weekend breakfasts when I have time to cook eggs. I don't mind eating the same thing all week so I will alternate the leftovers and I am set for this week! :)

I had a headache yesterday that I am contributing to withdrawls, caffeine and sugar. I don't drink coffee but usually have several cups of hot tea in the mornings and iced tea all day. I tried both with no sweetener and that was a big NO! I tried hot tea with a splash of juice in it and NO NO to that too lol! I would rather do without than drink that! So I am just drinking water and that is ok. :)

I am also a runner and am in the early weeks of training for my first marathon in September. My 5.5 mile run this week was fine because I did it on day 1 and my body hadn't recognized the changes yet. My longest run during the Whole30 will be a 9 mile run at the beginning of week 4. I am hoping to have that "Tiger Blood" by then!

Hope everyone's week is going well! I am stealing some of those recipes that have been posted! I pinned a bunch of stuff from Pinterest that look yummy too, so that is another resource of anyone is looking for ideas!

Linda :)

Hi All,

Halfway through Day 3 and things are ok.  I had a delicious breakfast of Chicken Apple Sausage and a sauteed apple. It will be hard to go back to school and have to do all the prep the night before.  I have made a batch of tomato sauce and some mayo. And I with everyone else who said its hard to make tea and coffee worth it.  The coconut milk just hasn't done it yet, though maybe I'll try Whole30Sue's suggestion to blend it.

I did find a interesting contradiction yesterday.  I made the Basic Mayonaise and followed the recipe in the W30 book.  On their suggestion I used Sunflower Oil.  It was nice and light.  Last night I was reading in Well-Fed that paleo says no to sunflower and safflower oil.  Why the difference, anyone know?

Hang in there.

Pat

Hi, I made it through my first official two days, really enjoying having a proper lunch rather than coffee and biscuits.. Argh can't believe I did that so often ... Getting there with fish and veggies for breakfast so going to prepare perfect scrambled eggs tomorrow and to try making Mayo for the first time.

Clarified butter worked well, I simply had no idea how it would be - almost like removing melted cheese from hot oil, but one of many new experiences I'm sure!

One work night out and one birthday celebration challenge over, lots of fizzy water to hand and a 100% cacao hot chocolate made with hot water instead of birthday cake - it was quite rich surprisingly with water, not sweet but a good side step option, and being very hot means it takes ages to drink so that seems much better than disappearing a latte I like the sound of blended coconut milk and coffee, definitely try that.

Feeling very full, and going to try to finish work earlier tomorrow so that I eat earlier... All the best for tomorrow

Archived