Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

Almost through day 3! I've been experiencing my headaches later in the day rather in the morning like they mentioned. I supposes this is easier to deal with than at work. I came home and realized my plans for romesco shrimp and cauliflower rice will just not work. I will resort to some tilapia in the freezer and leftover veggies. Anyone have any go to meals in emergency situations like this!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did find a interesting contradiction yesterday.  I made the Basic Mayonaise and followed the recipe in the W30 book.  On their suggestion I used Sunflower Oil.  It was nice and light.  Last night I was reading in Well-Fed that paleo says no to sunflower and safflower oil.  Why the difference, anyone know?

I came across a note on this somewhere on the site recently. I think it said seed oils like sunflower and grapeseed are discouraged but not against the rules. I can't remember why. My first batch of mayo was part grapeseed, part avocado oil. I'm using it up but will try macadamia nut oil next time.

Talk about a powerful "why." I have a cousin who has Spina Bifida; his life is full of love and challenges. Support teams are crucial/ You are so wise to tend to your own health and continued recovery. Wishing you an awesome Whole30.

That's awesome that your cousin is doing well. My beautiful girl is a very happy soul. She has the best laugh. She is my hero. She has her struggles, but rarely complains. And you are right, I realized I need to get my health under control. How is your whole30 going?

Finished day 4. Feeling well but tired of always having to pee. Eating lunch at work has been interesting. Mostly in a good way.

Sue..... I well understand staying healthy for your child. I am 63 with a 15 yr old daughter. The ex is useless. I want to be around for a long time to see her grown up.

I think sweet potato with ghee and sea salt is my new best friend.

Hugs to all.

Almost through day 3! I've been experiencing my headaches later in the day rather in the morning like they mentioned. I supposes this is easier to deal with than at work. I came home and realized my plans for romesco shrimp and cauliflower rice will just not work. I will resort to some tilapia in the freezer and leftover veggies. Anyone have any go to meals in emergency situations like this!

Congrats on getting through day 3!!

I got a headache this afternoon too. And I had a dish not work tonight. Live and learn. My go to...eggs, sauteed shrimp, tuna, sweet potatoes. I try to always have those in stock.

Finished day 4. Feeling well but tired of always having to pee. Eating lunch at work has been interesting. Mostly in a good way.

Sue..... I well understand staying healthy for your child. I am 63 with a 15 yr old daughter. The ex is useless. I want to be around for a long time to see her grown up.

I think sweet potato with ghee and sea salt is my new best friend.

Hugs to all.

LydiaJo that's awesome! Day four means you are well on your way!

That is my feeling exactly with my girls, I want to see everything. Don't want to miss a thing, but the way I have been treating my body sure doesn't reflect that desire. So this is a great change to be making.

I used to hate sweet potatoes, but I love them now. My favorite way to cook them is shredded and made into a hash, but it's a lot of work. But just zapped in the microwave with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of smoked paprika is my go to. I do the same with avocado slices.

Have a super day five!!

I'm finding myself wanting connect with everyone single person posting here! Is that weird? I'm so excited to have this group to share this journey.

My day was good. Breakfast was on time and I am so please that I like my coffee. Whew. Was not wanting to detox from it just yet.

Here was my surprise for the day...I fell in love with my lunch. Why did I ever think that a fast food burger is better than this? Crazy.

I had cooked up a bunch of stuff separately this weekend to have when needed. So this morning I just threw some of it together. I mixed some chicken thighs that I had cooked up with a copycat Lawry's seasoned salt, with some roasted broccoli, some caramelized onions and mushrooms, and some sweet potato hash. It was so good!!!! One of the people at work told me three times how wonderful it smelled.

The bad...headache. Almost to the point tonight that I am going to need a pain reliever. I had a stressful meeting this evening, but I would usually turn to food to release the tension, not tonight. I'm good.

We can do this!!!

The coconut milk just hasn't done it yet, though maybe I'll try Whole30Sue's suggestion to blend it.

I'm learning that coffee is definitely a personal thing. I know for me, long term, it needs to go. But right now, I'm not ready.

Even though I'm in my late forties, I've only been drinking it for a few years. I had to start with lots of flavored sugary creamers. Then during my first whole30 (that I extended to a whole60), I drank it with coconut milk for a while. Then my coffee maker died and I gave it up.

When I started drinking it again I just used whole whipping cream. Been doing that for a while.

There is a difference when you blend the coconut milk. My can of milk had the solidified cream at the top, so I've been using that and blending. It gives it a little bit of foam. Been working for me the last two days. Hope you find a way that you like it.

Finished Day 2 with a bang!  I had a business dinner tonight (the usual... hors d'oeuvres, wine, appetizer, entree, dessert)  I got sparkling water and passed on the hors d'oeuvres and dessert.  I asked the server if I could have no sauces or dairy.  Crab gazpacho, snapper with roasted veggies... I did it!  I had a little apprehension about breaking the routine but no one noticed and it wasn't that hard.  On to day three!

Mary

Finished Day 2 with a bang!  I had a business dinner tonight (the usual... hors d'oeuvres, wine, appetizer, entree, dessert)  I got sparkling water and passed on the hors d'oeuvres and dessert.  I asked the server if I could have no sauces or dairy.  Crab gazpacho, snapper with roasted veggies... I did it!  I had a little apprehension about breaking the routine but no one noticed and it wasn't that hard.  On to day three!

Mary

Way to go, Mary.  Those social events can be tricky!

I am also a runner and am in the early weeks of training for my first marathon in September. My 5.5 mile run this week was fine because I did it on day 1 and my body hadn't recognized the changes yet. My longest run during the Whole30 will be a 9 mile run at the beginning of week 4. I am hoping to have that "Tiger Blood" by then!

Linda :)

Hi Linda,

Way to go!  I'm training for my first marathon this year too - mine is in October.  I made the mistake of starting a Whole30 last fall when I was in the peak weeks of half marathon training; the timing was terrible - I think I was stressing my body too much.  I had a 10 mile training run that was really difficult, and the next day I got sick and couldn't run for 2 weeks.  Lesson learned!  I did still manage to run the half and did just fine, but it was stressful leading up to it knowing I had missed all that training.  You are early enough in to your training that I wouldn't worry, but be sure to listen to your body and ease up if/when you need to. You will definitely feel sluggish for a bit, but it does turn around.  I have a 10k on Day 23 and I'm hoping to be feeling great by then, too.

I gained a few pounds during half marathon training and so now I'm trying to figure out how to train well without gaining weight.  And I wouldn't mind shedding those few pounds before marathon training starts for me in May.  I won't try to lose weight during marathon training, but I'd sure like to avoid packing on the pounds...

Happy running!   :)

Hi Linda,

Way to go!  I'm training for my first marathon this year too - mine is in October.  I made the mistake of starting a Whole30 last fall when I was in the peak weeks of half marathon training; the timing was terrible - I think I was stressing my body too much.  I had a 10 mile training run that was really difficult, and the next day I got sick and couldn't run for 2 weeks.  Lesson learned!  I did still manage to run the half and did just fine, but it was stressful leading up to it knowing I had missed all that training.  You are early enough in to your training that I wouldn't worry, but be sure to listen to your body and ease up if/when you need to. You will definitely feel sluggish for a bit, but it does turn around.  I have a 10k on Day 23 and I'm hoping to be feeling great by then, too.

I gained a few pounds during half marathon training and so now I'm trying to figure out how to train well without gaining weight.  And I wouldn't mind shedding those few pounds before marathon training starts for me in May.  I won't try to lose weight during marathon training, but I'd sure like to avoid packing on the pounds...

Happy running!   :)

Hi!

Yes, I plan to just take it easy. Normally on a longer run I eat candy corn, m&m's and pretzel sticks so I won't be doing that, lol! I bought those tiny boxes of raisins in case I need something. Usually I have something at mile 3, 6, 9 etc. so I will see how it goes. I would love to lose a few pounds before my marathon. I'm sure it would help with my speed (I'm NOT fast!). Yay for marathon training!! Are you following a specific training plan? I am following Jeff Galloway's "Experienced Runner, To Finish in the Upright Position" plan. It is on the runDisney.com website. I have run a couple of Disney Half Marathons and a couple closer to home. It still amazes me as this time last year I was just starting running!

Good luck in your 10k! I have one on my day 15, April 2nd that I am debating on doing. That sucks that you got sick during training! I had various injuries during my half marathon training and missed a lot of my runs also.

This is my first Whole30 so it will be interesting to see how it affects me. I did low carb for a long time so I am use to the no bread/grains/legumes but this is my first time giving up dairy! I miss my cheese! :)

Anyone else wake up with a monster headache? It's better now, but I was very unproductive for a while.

I only had a fuzzy headache on day two, how are you feeling now? Hope today was better?

I'm still having one tea or coffee a day (so hard without milk!) so I'm wondering if that's why I haven't had more? But then again, thinking about it the coffees were mostly milk... Have you gone full cold turkey on the caffeine?

I've got 3 types of herbal tea and prune juice which has helped my tummy and kept me away from tea... It's such a learning process.

Getting v tired around 3pm, everyone at work thinks I've been out all night! Back to reading the book to check I'm still on the right track.

Super well done Mlb on the work night out, it's hard to see and smell plates of food flying by

I can definitely feel myself wanting to give up. I'm not wanting to eat and am worried this type of restriction might not be the healthiest for my previous disordered eating past...

Hi Mabrya,

Did you just start? What day are you on? I'm no expert since I'm only on Day 4. I don't want to make assumptions but you look in good shape from your photo. Are you doing this to help with a health issue? I think one thing people need to be sensitive to is eating enough food when they make changes in their food plans. There are lots of delicious recipes in Whole 30 and in the paleo cookbook Well-Fed. I made Cauliflower Rice Pilaf for dinner tonight and the non Whole 30ers at my house loved it.

Only you can decide if this is a good choice for you. If you haven't started yet, try a couple of the recipes to see what you think. And keep posting on this Forum. You'll get lots of support.

Pat aka Teacher P

Thanks, Pat! I'm on day 3 and I'm just having a hard time eating enough. I am doing this to relieve inflammation and chronic pain as well as slaying my sugar dragon haha. I think I might have to stop and restart the vegetarian version. I thought I could handle eating this much meat and I just can't! I love the recipes and food but with my jobs, the timing and no snacking can be really hard. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks, Pat! I'm on day 3 and I'm just having a hard time eating enough. I am doing this to relieve inflammation and chronic pain as well as slaying my sugar dragon haha. I think I might have to stop and restart the vegetarian version. I thought I could handle eating this much meat and I just can't! I love the recipes and food but with my jobs, the timing and no snacking can be really hard. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it!!

Sorry to hear you are facing this issue. Uncertainty is stressful. Like Pat said, only you can decide if this is right for you. I did a whole60 last year, and I can tell you that not wanting to eat in the beginning was something I faced. It got better after the first week or so. Best wishes!!

I only had a fuzzy headache on day two, how are you feeling now? Hope today was better?

I'm still having one tea or coffee a day (so hard without milk!) so I'm wondering if that's why I haven't had more? But then again, thinking about it the coffees were mostly milk... Have you gone full cold turkey on the caffeine?

I've got 3 types of herbal tea and prune juice which has helped my tummy and kept me away from tea... It's such a learning process.

Getting v tired around 3pm, everyone at work thinks I've been out all night! Back to reading the book to check I'm still on the right track.

Super well done Mlb on the work night out, it's hard to see and smell plates of food flying by

The day definitely got better. Thanks! I have one cup of coffee every morning. But I guess the caffeine I used to get from chocolate and the occasional Diet Coke could be resulting in withdrawal headaches.

I've never been a hot tea drinker. But I am really enjoying a cup of coffee with some coconut milk blended in it with my blender. Not sure why it makes a difference.

I am getting really tired around 8pm. Looking forward to the energy boosts that come later in the program. Sounds to me like you are on track!

How's everyone doing?  Are the headaches abating?  I'm starting Day 6, and for me this is usually when the fog finally clears and some of the positive changes like improved sleep kick in.  Have all of you seen the timeline?  It doesn't fit my experience to a T, but it's still helpful when it comes to shaping expectations about what might be coming up, or to recognize, oh ok, what I'm feeling is normal.  It's here: 

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Yesterday, Day 5 for me, was my first day of cravings.  They would come in like a freight train out of nowhere (e.g. "I need a latte, NOW") but be gone again just as quickly.  Remember that cravings pass!  I drink a bunch of water and distract myself with something else and they're gone in just a minute or two.

Also having food dreams.  Anyone having those yet?  Pancakes, in my case.

Carry on team!  Hope you all are hanging in there!

Hi!

Yes, I plan to just take it easy. Normally on a longer run I eat candy corn, m&m's and pretzel sticks so I won't be doing that, lol! I bought those tiny boxes of raisins in case I need something. Usually I have something at mile 3, 6, 9 etc. so I will see how it goes. I would love to lose a few pounds before my marathon. I'm sure it would help with my speed (I'm NOT fast!). Yay for marathon training!! Are you following a specific training plan? I am following Jeff Galloway's "Experienced Runner, To Finish in the Upright Position" plan. It is on the runDisney.com website. I have run a couple of Disney Half Marathons and a couple closer to home. It still amazes me as this time last year I was just starting running!

Good luck in your 10k! I have one on my day 15, April 2nd that I am debating on doing. That sucks that you got sick during training! I had various injuries during my half marathon training and missed a lot of my runs also.

This is my first Whole30 so it will be interesting to see how it affects me. I did low carb for a long time so I am use to the no bread/grains/legumes but this is my first time giving up dairy! I miss my cheese! :)

Linda, it sounds like you have accomplished a lot in the last year!  Actually we're on a pretty similar path.  I've been off and on running for a few years but had tons of injury issues.  Last year I finally successfully completed a Couchto5k program in January, then slowly slowly slowly built up mileage to avoid any recurrence of the issues I'd had.  (That, plus a lot of physical therapy and visits to the chiropractor kept me patched together).  I've been following Jenny Hadfield's training programs.  She has a fantastic new podcast on iTunes about running and common questions.  Her last episode (#4) was about pacing and had so much good info in it.  

Maybe you won't miss cheese as much in a couple weeks.   :)

Linda, it sounds like you have accomplished a lot in the last year!  Actually we're on a pretty similar path.  I've been off and on running for a few years but had tons of injury issues.  Last year I finally successfully completed a Couchto5k program in January, then slowly slowly slowly built up mileage to avoid any recurrence of the issues I'd had.  (That, plus a lot of physical therapy and visits to the chiropractor kept me patched together).  I've been following Jenny Hadfield's training programs.  She has a fantastic new podcast on iTunes about running and common questions.  Her last episode (#4) was about pacing and had so much good info in it.  

Maybe you won't miss cheese as much in a couple weeks.   :)

Good for you for finishing the C25K program! I never did finish it. And then I injured my Achilles. Did PT, started running again and had a couple more tendonitis (extendor and Peroneal) throughout the year. My insurance doesn't cover the chiro :(. I have never heard of Jenny Hadfield. I will look her up. Always looking for podcasts to listen to on my runs. Jeff Galloway is big into interval running and honestly I would not be where I am if I had not found his plan. My pace increased 2 minutes per mile after I started running intervals!

Yeah, I am doing great so far. I have lots of cheese and other non Whole30 items at home as my mom  (who lives with us) and hubby aren't doing this with me and I have not been tempted to eat any of it. :)

higs - thanks for checking in! Interesting to hear your cravings don't hit until Day 5. I've on Day 4 and haven't had any yet.

I've also found my experience deviates from the timeline, which is an approximation, so I know that's to be expected.

For instance, no headaches at all. And I've only been a little more tired than usual around bedtime, but I can't tell if that's because of the Whole30 or because my kids have been under the weather and waking up multiple times per night. 

No cravings yet. Like dis5150 I have off-program food in my house for my family and it hasn't been an issue. Though I'm expecting it will get tough at some point.

I do feel like time is passing very slowly. I attribute this to having a weeks worth of dinners in a few days :) And to not marking time by constantly getting snacks.

Do you mind if I join in?

I started on March 21. I'm definitely feeling like Killing All The Things today, which is what took me from lurker to poster. I started off totally OK this morning and then it was like, "ohhhh here it comes." I'm drinking black coffee, and it's really getting to me not having cream and sugar, PLUS diet pop withdrawals.

All week I've been eating a stir fry of cabbage, beef, peppers, onions, and mushrooms for breakfast.
For lunch I had a leftovers from last night's dinner - turkey, zucchini, spinach, sundried tomatoes, with a lemon and chicken stock. Plus, a few pistachios AND I ate a compliant Lara bar to take me off the edge.
I making a chicken sausage-sweet potato hash for dinner.

Archived