okay to skip a meal?

I just finished Day 22, and overall am feeling great. I am wondering if it's okay to skip lunch or supper on occasion. Today, for example, I had a late lunch and really haven't been hungry since, so I'm not eating anything tonight. Yesterday, I was super busy and snacked on a few nuts instead of having lunch, and I felt fine at the end of the day, i.e. had the same energy level.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

• Moderators

To miss a meal one time is probably not a big deal, but if it's happening regularly, that's something you need to really look at. 

The meal template outlines the minimum amounts of food a human adult ought to be eating for maximum health. If you eat below that amount, even if at first you don't notice a change, at some point, it will catch up with you. Nutrition is cumulative, so a lack of sufficient nutrients will add up over time if this is something that happens often. Undereating can contribute to slowed metabolism, can keep you from recovering well after workouts, and can leave you without enough energy to do all the things you want and need to do in life.

I'd also say that it's really important that you remember that you are important enough to take care of, and taking care of yourself, including eating healthy meals in a healthy way, is something that you should consider making a priority. I get that everyone has a day here and there where you just cannot sit down for a full lunch, but if you find that you're having a lot of those days, try to find a way to get that into your day as often as you can. It really does make a difference.

Thanks, Shannon. I could benefit from paying closer attention to the meal template. Today I noticed I had more fat on my plate (1/4 c. guacamole) than the template recommends. I know that's not a problem per se, but if I want even energy consistently, day after day, maybe I should start moving closer to the template. I always eat vegetables, but not always as much as the protein and fat.

I'm going to remember your phrase, "...nutrition is cumulative." Thank you :)

Today I noticed I had more fat on my plate (1/4 c. guacamole) than the template recommends.

1/4 cup guacamole is NOT more than the meal template recommends. When avocado is your fat choice, 1/2 avocado is a recommended minimum portion.

Don't shortchange yourself on nutrition. It really does have consequences.

After reading your message, I reviewed the meal template. I had been thinking the template called for 1-2 T. of whatever fat, but I see that the amount actually depends on what you are measuring.

The graphic on top of the meal template download contributed to my confusion. I wish I had a suggestion for how to change it, but I don't know how you could visually represent the more accurate instructions below.

In any case, thanks for re-orienting me to the meal guidelines. I appreciate your help!

Archived