Megan's Whole30 Accountability

vancy31

This is my first Whole30, and to be honest I'm a little bit intimidated by the prospect of not eating some of my favorite foods for the next 30 days, but even more than that I'm excited to begin my lifestyle change.

I can pinpoint exactly when I started gaining weight, losing control of my food choices, and living a sedentary lifestyle. It was almost 3.5 years ago when I was ~50 pounds lighter than I am now when I was in the best shape of my life. My now-husband proposed right after we found out he was moving overseas for his job. I excitedly said yes but then the reality of how my world was about to change sunk in. Only 2 months after he proposed, we were married, I'd sold my home and nearly all of my belongings, and I was living in a country where I didn't speak the native language. Let's just say stress ruled my world! Once we actually settled into a home of our own, he began traveling and was gone anywhere from a few days to a few months at a time. During this time is when I really began to pack on the pounds and my health deteriorated. As difficult as it is to admit, I think I had become depressed.

Fast forward to today and we are living stateside again, and my husband has a job where he travels much less frequently. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to kick the bad eating habits I'd developed when we first got married. Plus, somewhere in there I fell down a mountain on skis, tore my ACL, and have used it as an excuse to avoid exercising. I am done with making excuses and ready to reclaim control of my food choices and get up and move again! I won't be jumping right back into the HIIT workouts that I did pre-marriage but I am committing to moving more (aiming for 10k steps a day) and some light lifting 3-4 times a week.

The non-scale goals I'm hoping to improve in the next 30 days are the digestive and skins issues I'm been experiencing. Nothing has been diagnosed as far as a digestive or skin disorder, but I know how my body used to be and how it is now. How it used to be, I didn't constantly have upset stomachs, bloating, or other undesirable issues. I'm hoping some of my symptoms improve with the next 30 days. If I happen to lose some weight in the process, I will be ecstatic ;)

Today is my day 1, but I will be posting my full log tomorrow after the day is complete. If you stuck with me this long, thanks for reading!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you for taking your life back! I am on Day 23 of my second Whole30.  I think you will be amazed after the first 10 days of how you feel and easy it really is.  I think the first week is the hardest, but trust me it gets easier.  Don't push to hard with the workouts for the first week.  You might be just too tired and irritable, so make sure that you let yourself have a pass if you need it!  Good luck to you on your journey!

Thanks Jenny! I appreciate your insight! I definitely look forward to the day I'm on round 2, 23 days in :)

Yesterday went well, at least I think so. It's going to take time for me to adjust to 3 meals a day, since I've currently been in a habit of eating something small every few hours. I had to have a couple snacks yesterday even though I tried to eat bigger meals. I guess with time and retraining my body, I can go back to 3 meals a day again. Anyway, here's my Day 1 log:

Breakfast - fried egg with roasted sweet potatoes & Brussels sprouts with balsamic reduction (recipe from W30 book)

Morning Snack - banana and handful of raw almonds

Lunch - harvest salad (recipe from W30 book) with cherry tomatoes and red bell pepper added into the mix

Afternoon snack - hard boiled egg

Dinner - spaghetti squash with tomato sauce (recipe from the W30 book, it is delicious!), and lamb meatballs

Exercise - none

Sleep - 7 hours

Thanks for the tip - is that 3-4 eggs per day? I do understand that eggs are great nutritionally, but I've tried to keep it to a max of 2-3 per day and go a day without any eggs about 2x per week. I had 2 for breakfast this morning in an attempt to amp up the protein, but I also have one packed as an afternoon snack if I start feeling the need. Is 3-4 on a daily basis ok?

Thanks!

~Megan

Thanks for the tip - is that 3-4 eggs per day? I do understand that eggs are great nutritionally, but I've tried to keep it to a max of 2-3 per day and go a day without any eggs about 2x per week. I had 2 for breakfast this morning in an attempt to amp up the protein, but I also have one packed as an afternoon snack if I start feeling the need. Is 3-4 on a daily basis ok?

Thanks!

~Megan

I've been known to eat 9 or 10 a day, more than a few times a week, so yes - 3-4 on a daily basis is absolutely fine.

That said many people report that if they mix up their protein sources that they stay satiated for longer, so maybe try adding in some ground beef or fish with breakfast...

Wow I can't imagine eating that many eggs, or at least I can't imagine I could do it without getting bored ;)

Thanks for the tip on mixing up protein. I was trying to find some organic ground pork this weekend but none of my regular stores had any available so I ditched the idea to make breakfast sausage. I saw someone else used ground turkey to make breakfast sausage and I kicked myself for not thinking to do the same thing! I'll be defrosting some ground turkey when I get home so I can do the same.

Thanks jmcbn!

Yes we can Sarah Rose! I'm glad your Day 2 is going better than Day 1! I hope the trend continues that way :)

What kind of snacks do you have? I find that I get bored easily with veggies dipped in a sauce. People say great things about the W30 ranch and other dipping sauces but I don't have enough enthusiasm yet to give them a try. I know that raw veggies are a great snack though so I'm talking myself into packing them as snacks later this week or next week.

I made up a batch of Melissa's sweet potato hash to have in a snack-size portion this afternoon. I'm excited to give it a try since it smelled so good cooking up last night!

I haven't made the mayo or ranch stuff either, it's not something I eat much anyways, but I am going to try to make it tonight. Last night was the plan, but it got late and I didn't get around to it. I have typical veggies - baby carrots, sugar snap peas, and I like cucumbers to snack on too. I also took a bunch of fruit, chopped it up, and made a fruit salad. We've been having that with breakfast or as a snack too.

Let me know how your mayo and/or ranch making goes!

Day 2

For only my second day in, I'd say it went pretty well. After reading the timeline, I was expecting to feel slow yesterday but it turned out to be a pretty upbeat day. I did have some digestive issues but I know it's going to take awhile for those to start fading away. I also was feeling tempted by sweets - every time I walked past the receptionist's desk I was fixating on the bowl of individually wrapped chocolates. Not like they are good chocolates, just something sweet to grab. Trust me, I've grabbed plenty of those little chocolates when I'd walked by before I started my W30. Yesterday they were definitely calling out to me, but I just kept on walking. Small personal victory...one day at a time!

So without further ado, here was my food log from yesterday. You may notice it looks a lot like Day 1's log, just because that's what I'd planned. Variety is coming :)

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, roasted sweet potatoes and sprouts with balsamic reduction (the recipe in the book says it's 2 servings but it's just too much food so I've made it into 4 servings...this probably goes back to my habit of eating every few hours so I'm used to eating smaller meals instead of larger ones) I also had a cup of black tea, no additions

Morning Snack - banana and some raw almonds, after my cravings set in I grabbed a cup of peppermint tea

Lunch - harvest salad (greens, green apple, raisins, avocado, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper) with citrus vinaigrette (W30 book recipe)

Afternoon Snack - 1 hard-cooked egg and a small-ish bowl of Melissa's sweet potato/chicken hash

Dinner - Shepard's pie (W30 book recipe)

I was excited to try the hash recipe but actually I was a little disappointed with it. I am not a big fan of spicy foods, so I omitted the red pepper flakes. I'm now wishing I'd added just a touch. The balance is off with the version I made so I'm going to try doctoring it up next time I eat some. Maybe a little more ACV, maybe a tiny sprinkle of cayenne, maybe something else that jumps out at me when I open my spice drawer. Suggestions always welcome!

So I was originally planning on only posting my log after each day had finished, but now that I'm in the process, I think I'm going to post my plan for each day ahead of time. I'll just make amendments to my log after the fact, if I need to.

Day 3

You know how I said Day 2 was kind of a surprise and it was more like Day 1 in that I was pretty upbeat? Yeah...well...that changed this morning. When my alarm went off, I immediately wished I'd had a sledgehammer in my hand so I could smash my alarm. When I finally managed to pull myself out of bed, I almost lost my balance. It was like I was dizzy but without the feeling of everything spinning. I'm not sure that even makes sense. Without knowing exactly what it was I experienced, I'll just call it "head fog." It got better as the morning went on, but it was a very weird sensation. Not something I've ever experienced before. I'm not sure if it's W30 related or not but figured I'd make note of it here.

I've had breakfast so far this morning, but here's my plan for the rest of the day:

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, roasted sweet potatoes and sprouts with balsamic drizzle (I didn't have time to make turkey sausage last night so I'm hoping to tonight. As an additional protein source, I was planning to have some of the leftover lamb meatballs, but I completely forgot as I was prepping breakfast.) Also having a cup of ginger green tea, no additions.

Morning snack - banana and handful of raw almonds

Lunch - two stuffed peppers with ground beef, butternut squash, onions, kale (W30 book recipe)

Afternoon Snack - hard-cooked egg and possibly some sweet potato hash if I need it

Dinner - coco curry grilled chicken (W30 book recipe) with cauliflower rice and grilled asparagus

I made the mayo last night!! Surprisingly it wasn't bad, and doesn't taste TOO much different from regular mayo. It is a process though, and the recipe in the Whole30 book actually makes a decent amount. I just put it all into a glass mason jar and stuck it in the fridge.

How was lunch? I was going to make that recipe for dinner tomorrow. We aren't big butternut squash fans, but I got some just specifically for this recipe. I figured the squash is a good filler since there's no rice etc, just not sure about the taste!

Let me know how your mayo and/or ranch making goes!

Day 2

For only my second day in, I'd say it went pretty well. After reading the timeline, I was expecting to feel slow yesterday but it turned out to be a pretty upbeat day. I did have some digestive issues but I know it's going to take awhile for those to start fading away. I also was feeling tempted by sweets - every time I walked past the receptionist's desk I was fixating on the bowl of individually wrapped chocolates. Not like they are good chocolates, just something sweet to grab. Trust me, I've grabbed plenty of those little chocolates when I'd walked by before I started my W30. Yesterday they were definitely calling out to me, but I just kept on walking. Small personal victory...one day at a time!

So without further ado, here was my food log from yesterday. You may notice it looks a lot like Day 1's log, just because that's what I'd planned. Variety is coming :)

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, roasted sweet potatoes and sprouts with balsamic reduction (the recipe in the book says it's 2 servings but it's just too much food so I've made it into 4 servings...this probably goes back to my habit of eating every few hours so I'm used to eating smaller meals instead of larger ones) I also had a cup of black tea, no additions

Morning Snack - banana and some raw almonds, after my cravings set in I grabbed a cup of peppermint tea

Lunch - harvest salad (greens, green apple, raisins, avocado, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper) with citrus vinaigrette (W30 book recipe)

Afternoon Snack - 1 hard-cooked egg and a small-ish bowl of Melissa's sweet potato/chicken hash

Dinner - Shepard's pie (W30 book recipe)

I was excited to try the hash recipe but actually I was a little disappointed with it. I am not a big fan of spicy foods, so I omitted the red pepper flakes. I'm now wishing I'd added just a touch. The balance is off with the version I made so I'm going to try doctoring it up next time I eat some. Maybe a little more ACV, maybe a tiny sprinkle of cayenne, maybe something else that jumps out at me when I open my spice drawer. Suggestions always welcome!

I'm definitely going to try my hand at the mayo recipe this weekend. It seems like so many other sauce recipes branch off from the mayo so even if we aren't big fans of the mayo itself, hopefully some of the other sauces will be good. Happy mayo-ing!

I really enjoyed lunch. I made it last week pre-Whole30 and loved it. I'd made it with ground turkey that time, versus beef in yesterday's lunch. Maybe it's just my taste buds but I really like the turkey more. Give it a try with whatever your favorite meat is and let me know how you like it! Honestly, once the squash is cooked with the other ingredients, you can't taste it by itself. Also, when I was cooking it up in the skillet, I added the squash cubes with the onions. I prefer it to be a little on the soft side rather than the crunchy side, and I didn't think it'd get soft enough if I followed the recipe exactly and added the squash cubes later in the cooking process.

For me, the 2 peppers per serving was a LOT! I did end up eating it all but was pretty stuffed afterward. I didn't even have my usual afternoon snack, and I had a smaller dinner portion than normal, just because lunch had been so substantial. With that in mind, if I make the peppers again I will only eat one, but add a side of veggies to make it a meal.

Speaking of dinner...it was ahhhhmazing! My husband and I love pretty much all ethic foods, Indian food in particular. We are spoiled with Indian neighbors and they will cook things up for us sometimes, and it's always the best Indian meal I'll have ever had. Anyway, the coconut curry sauce recipe in the Whole30 book is really good for any Indian food or curry lovers out there. I was ready to drink the bowl of sauce! I'm sure I'll be making that a few more times before my 30 days are up.

Day 4

I woke up this morning sleepy but not feeling like I wanted to smash my alarm. Progress. I also didn't have a headache or head fog. More progress. Actually, I feel like I've skated by pretty unharmed to this point. It makes me wonder if the upcoming days are going to bring the hurt.

I do feel like I'm constantly either stuffed or hungry, one extreme or the other. Trying to move away from my usual habit of eating every few hours is not fun. I'm hungry and feel sleek and slender, but then I eat a meal large enough that I won't have to eat a snack before my next meal and I feel stuffed and pudgy. I'm planning to throw my workout clothes on as soon as I get home and march myself straight down to the basement to do a workout. I haven't worked out in many months so finding my motivation has been difficult. Especially when I use the excuse in the evenings after work that I have to prep dinner so I don't have time to workout. Well dinner is already ready for this evening so I'm out of excuses, it's time to get busy.

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, last serving of lamb meatballs with some of the coconut curry sauce overtop (seriously, I'm addicted to this sauce!), a few bites of sweet potato/chicken hash, and a cup of black tea, no additions

Morning Snack - breakfast leftovers of my uneaten sweet potato/chicken hash...after the eggs and meatballs at breakfast, I was too stuffed to eat more than a bite or two of the hash

Lunch - leftover grilled chicken with coco curry sauce, cauliflower rice, and grilled asparagus

Afternoon snack - banana and hard-cooked egg, if needed

Dinner - leftover shepherd's pie, cup of chamomile tea before bed

It's going to be a bit more of a challenging day for me today. I knew it was going to be before I started my Whole30, but now that it's here I'm going to have to hunt for my willpower!

My boss is a huge lover of all things Irish, so naturally she loves St. Patrick's Day. She made some treats for the office, and now that's they're sitting on the kitchen counter with free access, they are looking mighty tempting. I've done so well this week I have absolutely no intention of cheating and restarting! None at all...but it's not against Whole30 rules to just inhale deeply the sweet scent of fresh baked goods, is it?

I'm just kidding, that would be even more difficult to walk away from. But with them sitting on the counter, I'm going to come face-to-face with them when I go in for my lunch and possibly snacks later today.

Here's to staying strong. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

Thanks Jenny B! I feel like I'm on the downhill for today's temptations. I've got weird germophobe issues so no matter how good a dessert is, or any food for that matter, I won't go for any if other people have been digging in. I guess that works in my favor right about now ;)

I also told my boss about my Whole30 journey, so she knows I wouldn't be partaking in desserts for today, or Easter, or any other baking occasion that comes up soon.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Hahahaha! Luckily there are no St Patty's Day sweets in my office today!! HOWEVER - later today we are throwing a little ice cream/cake social for our Social Workers in celebration of Social Work month... that's going to be rough! I'm not generally a cake, pie or ice cream person... but having been deprived of sweets for 4 days now... I'm probably going to stare it to death!! LOL And like you said... have a nice deep INHALE!! LOL

Have a great day #4!!

It's morning of Day 5 and I'm doing pretty good. Amazingly, I don't want to "kill all the things!" But like I mentioned yesterday, I'm just wondering if this is the calm before the storm and next week I'll really start going through sugar withdrawals as I detox from the nastiness I used to put in my mouth. Well in any case, I managed to grudgingly get a mini-workout in. I say grudgingly because as I was leaving work I did *not* want to workout. Not because I was super tired, or sore, or in any pain. I just simply wasn't in the mood. But I marched myself upstairs and forced myself to put workout clothes on and then marched myself back downstairs and started doing jumping jacks. A sweaty 30 minutes later I decided to call it good. My husband even said he was proud of me! It may have only been 30 minutes of calisthenics but it was 30 more minutes than I've done in the past ~6 months or so. I'll take it as a step in the right direction!

The extra dose of protein yesterday morning for breakfast worked - I didn't need a morning snack, I made it all the way through til lunch time. Lesson learned - more protein at breakfast is needed. I unfortunately am running low on available proteins so I didn't have the extra serving this morning. But now that I know, I'm going to plan accordingly for next week.

Day 5

I'm going to make another go at working up a sweat this afternoon. I felt good after yesterday's workout so I'd like to do it again today.

Breakfast - 2 eggs and the last of the roasted Brussels and sweet potatoes with balsamic

Morning Snack - if needed, banana with a few raw almonds

Lunch - salad with grilled chicken, cucumbers, bell peppers, shredded carrots, a couple strawberries, avocado, and whatever quick vinaigrette I whip together

PreWO and PostWO - hard cooked egg before WO, and a couple strips of grilled chicken thighs PostWO

Dinner - Well Fed's Pork Carnitas, on a bed of sautéed onions, garlic, and cabbage

What a weekend! It was a good one, and even though I had a few moments of feeling weak I managed to power through and stay strong and committed to my goals. That in and of itself is a huge accomplishment for me. I've almost always "cheated" on weekends, or used them as excuses to eat whatever I'd wanted, but thankfully I was completely committed to Whole30 this weekend. Feeling strong!

My mom came over for a few hours on Saturday afternoon and I got to really explain what I've been doing with this program. She was quite pumped and even asked me to copy some recipes for her to try. I'm going to keep encouraging her and see if maybe she'll do a committed Whole30 with me after we return from vacation in May. I don't think she's mentally ready to commit in time for us to do a full 30 days before vacation, otherwise I'd try to get her to join me before then.

So here's what I ate over the weekend:

Day 6

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, homemade sausage patty, sweet potato hash

Lunch - Pork carnitas (yum!) with cauliflower rice, side of coconut-creamed spinach

Afternoon Snack - Banana with almond butter smeared on it

Dinner - Large salad with grilled chicken and balsamic reduction as dressing

Day 7

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, homemade sausage patty, sweet potato hash

Lunch - Pork carnitas with cauliflower rice, a pineapple-cucumber salsa, and a side of coconut-creamed spinach

Afternoon Snack - Banana with almond butter smeared on it

Dinner - Well Fed's Pad Thai (I subbed cabbage for the snap peas)

And here's what is up for today:

Day 8

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with a splash of coconut milk, a sausage patty, and lots of veggies - mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and a banana

Lunch - Leftover Pad Thai

Afternoon Snack, if needed - Pork carnitas with a little pineapple salsa inside mini bell peppers

Dinner - if the weather is nice we'll grill some beef burgers, eggplant buns, and asparagus

One lesson learned over the weekend is that almond butter spread on a banana is more like a dessert for me than a snack. I felt like taking a spoon to the jar of almond butter and just shoveling it in my mouth. I'm not sure I need to completely exclude almond butter (as in - I'm ok with using it in recipes) but I do plan on cutting myself off from spreading it on a banana (or apple, or another carrier fruit) for the remainder of my Whole30. It has too great a potential to de-rail me!

Thanks Sarah - what is it about almond butter? Almonds by themselves are yummy but turn them into a spread and boom they are elevated to a whole new world of delcisiousness! Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one with almond butter issues!

Yesterday went pretty well. It was sunny out but a bit breezy and nearing the high 40s outside so my husband and I opted to skip the grill and instead break into the meatloaf I'd cooked up on Sunday. My plan was to have it later in the week, but it's easy enough to swap around dinners this week so that we are out grilling when it's actually warm. We are supposed to break into the low 70s in the next day or two, so we'll grill then. Dinner last night ended up being a lamb meatloaf (it was the only meat I had defrosted at the time) which was made with onion, bell pepper, celery, and tomatoes pulverized in the food processor. The original recipe calls for oats as the liquid soaker-upper, so I swapped it out for almond meal. Unfortunately, almond meal just doesn't soak juices like oats do, so the final loaf was a bit liquidy. It ended up being more meat-pile than meatloaf. That's ok, it still tasted good and my husband went back for a large pile of seconds. I'll call it a success. I also had a mound of coconut-creamed spiced spinach on the side and a few kale chips.

Yesterday I also got in a great workout. 30 solid minutes of plyo exercises, some with weights and some without. It felt good, so I plan on putting in another 30 minutes this evening after work.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday (my Day 7) I had an ugly headache. Having a headache is not an abnormal experience for me, in fact they are fairly frequent, but they are dull headaches more times than not. On Sunday, it was not dull at all. After awhile I found myself hunched over a bottle of peppermint essential oil sniffing it all in. I did put some on my temples, forehead, and back of my neck but inhaling the scent always works best for me. It took awhile of just sniffing the peppermint, but my headache finally started to subside...only after losing a few hours of productivity. Again, I'm not sure if this is Whole30 related or possibly monthly hormones related, but I'd figured I'd mention it either way.

Day 9

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with a chopped up sausage patty, mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, and 1/2 and avocado on top

Lunch - leftover paleo pad thai, and a banana, if needed

Afternoon Snack - small portion of leftover carnitas with pineapple salsa, scooped up with hollowed out mini bell peppers (I had this for snack yesterday and it was delish!)

Dinner - Well Fed's gyoza meatballs with cucumber sesame noodles

Yesterday went pretty well. It was sunny out but a bit breezy and nearing the high 40s outside so my husband and I opted to skip the grill and instead break into the meatloaf I'd cooked up on Sunday. My plan was to have it later in the week, but it's easy enough to swap around dinners this week so that we are out grilling when it's actually warm. We are supposed to break into the low 70s in the next day or two, so we'll grill then. Dinner last night ended up being a lamb meatloaf (it was the only meat I had defrosted at the time) which was made with onion, bell pepper, celery, and tomatoes pulverized in the food processor. The original recipe calls for oats as the liquid soaker-upper, so I swapped it out for almond meal. Unfortunately, almond meal just doesn't soak juices like oats do, so the final loaf was a bit liquidy. It ended up being more meat-pile than meatloaf. That's ok, it still tasted good and my husband went back for a large pile of seconds. I'll call it a success. I also had a mound of coconut-creamed spiced spinach on the side and a few kale chips.

Yesterday I also got in a great workout. 30 solid minutes of plyo exercises, some with weights and some without. It felt good, so I plan on putting in another 30 minutes this evening after work.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday (my Day 7) I had an ugly headache. Having a headache is not an abnormal experience for me, in fact they are fairly frequent, but they are dull headaches more times than not. On Sunday, it was not dull at all. After awhile I found myself hunched over a bottle of peppermint essential oil sniffing it all in. I did put some on my temples, forehead, and back of my neck but inhaling the scent always works best for me. It took awhile of just sniffing the peppermint, but my headache finally started to subside...only after losing a few hours of productivity. Again, I'm not sure if this is Whole30 related or possibly monthly hormones related, but I'd figured I'd mention it either way.

Day 9

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with a chopped up sausage patty, mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, and 1/2 and avocado on top

Lunch - leftover paleo pad thai, and a banana, if needed

Afternoon Snack - small portion of leftover carnitas with pineapple salsa, scooped up with hollowed out mini bell peppers (I had this for snack yesterday and it was delish!)

Dinner - Well Fed's gyoza meatballs with cucumber sesame noodles

How was the paleo pad thai? I was planning to make it tomorrow and am super excited.

Archived