March 2016 Viv's adventure

Vivian_55

My husband and I started the Whole 30 last Monday - today is Day 8.

We have had a lot of ups and couple of downs.

We do a very small maple syrup boiling for ourselves. Last Thursday, I burned the first batch of syrup, very sad!  :angry:  We almost called it quits in boiling this year, but a beer and some colorful words, we cleaned up and went right back to it.  Well, we did fall off with the beer but felt that since we were doing so good, we would not start over with the Whole 30.  This was our choice, like I have read, you are adults and can make your own decisions.  Thank you, Whole 30 for giving us this option.

On that same venture - Sunday was finishing off the batch that we started Thursday(after the burning and cleaning).  Have you ever bottled up that God given syrup without taste testing?  Well, neither have I.  I tasted it and it was heavenly!  No, again, I am not starting the Whole 30 over due to tasting something so "WHOLE".

The ups were challenging.  Meal planning and time consuming.  I followed the layout in the Whole 30 Book - thank you for going to such detail on the menu and planning time.  It made it so much more easier to get the first week over and done.

Now onto Week 2 - I have made my own menus and outlined my planning over the week. This is the only way for me to get though the week.  I go shopping once a week, so planning menus for the week has always been my favorite part of the weekend.

We are sleeping better and have energy in the morning again!

Enjoying black coffee and salads instead of sandwiches for lunch. :rolleyes: 

Will keep you posted -----  ;) 

• Moderators

So, you are adults and you do get to decide things. However, I'd recommend reading this article about starting over, and understand that choosing to eat things that are not Whole30 compliant does make a difference in your results. I'd also point you to the rules, which say this:

The only way this will work is if you give it the full thirty days: no cheats, slips, or “special occasions.” This isn’t us playing the tough guy. This is a fact, born of education and experience. You need such a small amount of any of these inflammatory foods to break the healing cycle—one bite of pizza, one splash of milk in your coffee, one lick of the spoon mixing the batter within the 30 day period and you’ve broken the “reset” button, requiring you to start over again on Day 1. 

These rules aren't in place because Dallas & Melissa are cruel, horrible people who want to torture you -- they're there to make the process simpler and easier to follow (yes, really -- our brains do better with black and white rules, requiring us to use less willpower), and to get you the best possible results.

So, yes, you are adults, and if you decide that your Whole30 included beer and maple syrup, that's your decision -- but you're selling yourself short and not accomplishing the very most you are capable of.

• Moderators

You are not doing a Whole30. You are doing your own program with inspiration from the Whole30. The results you are getting are all yours. Congratulations! Honestly. Some of the changes you have made are obviously working. But please don't mistake what you are doing for a Whole30.

The Whole30 recognizes that you are adults and can do anything you like, but the Whole30 does not provide options for altering its rules and guidelines to accommodate your desire to drink a beer or sip some maple syrup. 

This was our choice, like I have read, you are adults and can make your own decisions.  Thank you, Whole 30 for giving us this option.

Will keep you posted -----  ;) 

I don't think Melissa and the Whole30 crew meant that you would go off plan. Whole30 has its rules, and those rules are what make it Whole30.  I am sorry to say but I would start over.  :(

After feeling like a child who gets all A's all semester, except for that one F I received 1/3 of the way though - my parents can only talk about the F!  I almost tossed the whole 30 out of the house!

Once I started to talk to my support team of husband and coworker, I will be adding 6 days to the program before I start reintroducing.

My advice to people who want to do the Whole30- make sure you have a great support team!  Without support at home as well as work, I would have thrown in the towel after the remarks made here.  I know there are rules and there is a science behind those rules in Whole30.  I know I will benefit from doing this program.  I already have.  Who would think that I can live without cream in my coffee?  or that piece of chocolate? or that alcoholic drink at the restaurant?

So I will be doing Whole36 - I am on Day 11 and proud of it! :rolleyes: 

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to make you feel bad.  It is great you have a support system at home/work.  I think all anyone is trying to say is that it is not a Whole30 if you allow non-complaint items in.  You are obviously making some great changes.  I think if you write it down and people are reading, then people will respond with some very helpful tips or offer advice. I know I try to be supportive. This is my second Whole30 (day 25), and if someone (like my husband) says I am doing the Whole30 - BUT.  Then it isn't the Whole30. I told him that after 7 days.  It is what it is.  If you are adding 6 days on the end of it - then you are doing a Whole30 from that point! AWESOME - great news.  A lot of people choose to do that.  Good luck to you on your journey! I hope you succeed in all of your goals!

• Moderators

Ok on Day 17 of the Whole 30 - for the females out there - day 1.  Need advice - all I want is sugar and bread!  How do you handle this time of the month with all those crazy hormones running around?

This is pretty normal in the week leading up to and first part of that time of the month. Eat more in general, but specifically, eat more starchy vegetables and fats. So add potato or sweet potato or other starchy vegetables to every meal, top them with extra oil or mayo or have extra avocado or olives.

One of the other moderators reports she gets so hungry around this time of the month that she eats twice as much as usual -- if that's what you need to do, go for it. Your body just needs more at this time.

Aside from food, be good to yourself. Extra rest, light exercise (like a long walk or some stretching/yoga), curl up with a good book and a heating pad if you're dealing with cramps -- whatever helps you feel better (other than bread and chocolate, obviously).

Thanks Shannon.  I did just that - took the day off from work, relaxed and tried a new recipe.  I did a little research on how to reintroduce food back after the Whole30.  I love to plan!

Today is a new day, feeling a little better.  Off to work with a great packed supper! :rolleyes:

Vivian, so glad for you, your husband, and your support team!  It's great that you're making healthier choices in general, and I'm proud of you for choosing to add days to the end of your whole30.  I've had a bunch of slip ups here at the beginning of mine, and it seems much more motivating to still count the days I've tried and make my program longer than to keep starting over at day one!

Day 24 of my Whole 36 (added days due to slip up on day 6) - I must say it has been a interesting to say the least, but the best thing is that I feel great.  March has never been a favorite month of mine, way too long!  This has been a great way to pass the time. I have fallen in love with my kitchen again.  I designed my kitchen for me.  It has been fun again to plan, shop and prepare food.  We had gotten in a rut of the same thing prepared the same way week after week.  It is just my husband and myself-empty nest-for the last 6 years now.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the kitchen.  So when speaking of non scale rewards of the Whole 30, mine would have to be finding the kitchen again! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have made it!  Now to reintroduce some foods.  I had some grits this morning with my two fried eggs. Yum!  Then for lunch, roasted tomato soup(whole30), snack: banana and nuts, supper was spaghetti squash, tomato sauce from recipe in Whole30 book with ground pork. I am full and feeling great.  Tomorrow I will do 3 meals of Whole30.  Wednesday I am going to try adding in a greek yogurt and a glass of milk throughout my day. Thursday and Friday will be Whole30 again.  I am feeling good and liking the way I look. Dropped 7 pounds, but more important, clothes fit better.  Stacked wood yesterday with the husband - enjoyed the flesh spring air and had enough energy to complete the task and make supper! Better focus on doing my job today - lots of data input! thank you, Whole30 for opening my mind to a great experience!  I will spread the word. :rolleyes:

Archived