Madison's Whole30 log - I CAN do this!

Madison_LH

Day 1! I didn't eat breakfast today because I'm a college student on spring break so I slept in.

Lunch: 3 eggs with an avocado and 3 cutie clementine oranges

Snack: 1 small apple with 2 tbsp almond butter

Dinner: 2 oven roasted chicken legs, green beans roasted in olive oil, and a banana

Day 2 is in the books! I've gotta say, it's been hard so far. Every day feels like scaling a mountain. I'm hoping it will get easier when spring break is over and I'm back into the rhythm of school.

Breakfast: 1 navel orange

Lunch: 2 baked chicken legs, an avocado, a small apple, and 2 tbsp almond butter

Dinner: beef & root vegetable stew

Snack: 1 cutie clementine orange & some freeze dried mixed fruit (no sugar, juice, or anything else added, nothing but fruit)

Day 3!

Breakfast: Banana cashew milk smoothie (I meant to eat some eggs with this but had to run out the door unexpectedly)

Lunch: grilled chicken nuggets & fruit from chick-fil-a

Snack/mini meal: leftover beef & root veggie stew; 3 clementine cuties

Dinner: Stewed venison with carrots

Snack: cashew milk banana smoothie

(Side note: I know I was bad for snacking so much and having not one, but TWO fruit smoothies today.)

Day 4!

Breakfast: 2 cuties clementine oranges

Lunch: one can of chicken breast with an avocado and a banana cashew milk smoothie

Dinner: baked salmon with roasted broccoli, green beans, and baby potatoes, and a strawberry/pineapple/cantaloupe fruit salad. It was my birthday dinner so we sort of went all out. It was amazing!

Day 5! This has historically been the day when I give up, so it's a big deal!

Breakfast: mixed fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple)

Lunch: baked salmon, mini roasted potatoes, roasted green beans & broccoli

Dinner: grilled chicken breast w/ sautéed fajita veggies (minus fajita seasoning); more mixed fruit

Day 6! Today was a little crazy because I was on the road all day, but all in all I feel like I did well.

Breakfast: 2 cutie clementine oranges, 6 oz orange juice

Lunch: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, banana cashew milk shake

Snack: 1 jack link beef jerky strip (technically this had added sugar, but it totaled to 1 gram for the entire serving and it was the best thing I could get at a gas station. I wasn't able to eat dinner until nearly 9 PM so I needed something while driving.)

Dinner: 3 eggs fried with 3is oz ground beef, sugar snap peas, and a whole bunch of delicious fresh strawberries.

Day 7! I've lasted a week!

Breakfast: 1 baked chicken breast

Lunch: 2 tilapia fillets with mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash, and bell peppers) and strawberries

Snack: a spoonful of coconut butter b/c I had hardly had any fat for the day

Dinner: beef root vegetable stew, banana coconut milk smoothie, strawberries

Day 8! Today was really hard in terms of sugar cravings, but I powered through.

Breakfast - 3 eggs fried in coconut oil

Lunch: beef shepherds pie with steamed broccoli and cauliflower

Snack: banana coconut milk smoothie with coconut butter (yum!)

Dinner: a baked sweet potato mashed with almond butter, vanilla, and cinnamon; a salad with arugula, spinach, baked chicken breast, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar; and frozen blueberries.

Day 8! Today was really hard in terms of sugar cravings, but I powered through.

Breakfast - 3 eggs fried in coconut oil

Lunch: beef shepherds pie with steamed broccoli and cauliflower

Snack: banana coconut milk smoothie with coconut butter (yum!)

Dinner: a baked sweet potato mashed with almond butter, vanilla, and cinnamon; a salad with arugula, spinach, baked chicken breast, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar; and frozen blueberries.

Hey Madison - well done on making it to day 8  :)

You might find those smoothies (which are strongly discouraged on Whole30) coupled with the fruit & nut milks/butters you are eating daily are propping up those sugar cravings.

Not only does your body not register liquid food in the same way that it does solid, but smoothies tend to be fruit & fat only - if you MUST snack try to make at least two of the three main food groups - protein, fat & veggies, with protein & fat being your best choice here, particularly if you've a sugar dragon to battle.

You'd also fare better by adding more fat to each of your meals & sticking to the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimum) and a generous serving of fat. Definitely limit those nuts/nut butters/milks as they are a poor source of fat & notoriously hard on the digestive system.

What type of vanilla did you use with your mashed sweet potato?

As an aside fruit juice is fine for use in cooking, or for adding a dash to some water for flavour, but should not be drunk as is.

Well, I've been off track since Saturday - it was my birthday weekend and I had multiple friend groups cooking me things.  I know it's not an excuse but it's what happened.  I'm starting back on right this moment though.

I know that protocol for Whole30 is to start over after something like this, but honestly, that wouldn't work for me.  I'm going to start back counting days where I left off with tomorrow being day 12.  I know that some people may disagree with this and say it's not a "real" Whole30, but at this point I'm less concerned with getting my "real Whol30" sticker than I am with improving my health.

Decided to re-start today so thatI could give it 100%.  So!  New day 1.

Breakfast: a baked sweet potato mashed with cinnamon, vanilla, and almond butter, and 3 eggs fried in a bit of coconut oil.

Lunch: a salad with a chicken breast, a chopped avocado, diced strawberries, a huge helping of spinach & arugula, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; also a few extra strawberries on the side.

Dinner: thin sliced zucchini & yellow squash sautéed with ground beef, onions, and tomato sauce - think a spaghetti-ish dish?  I'm not really sure what to call it but it was delish!  Also some oven roasted broccoli & green beans and a banana to finish everything off.

I'm super proud of myself because I did not snack at ALL today.  I also only had fruit with meals AND followed the protein/fat/veggie guidelines for each meal.

Archived