My first Whole30, start date 3/14!

sarahrose619

A girlfriend of mine is now on her second Whole30. She is the reason I know of this program and her success and encouragement led me to doing it myself because I need to make some changes to be a healthier me. Luckily, I have the great support of my wife who is doing it alongside with me. Meal prepping and planning didn't go as smoothly as I anticipated, but I think we're getting the hang of it. Day #1 of black coffee... not bad, but not as yummy lol! Day #2 coffee was better though, didn't miss the creamer as much. Day #1 I didn't prepare well enough for the work day. We had breakfast before 630 am (we get up at 5-530am), and by 1130am I felt like my stomach was going to eat itself! I am normally not an early morning eater, typically I'll eat something between 8am-9am. During the work day, I didn't have my snacks with me on the unit (I work in a hospital) and was so busy I couldn't get down to my office until lunch. 

Breakfast - hard-boiled egg, fruit salad

Lunch - rotisserie chicken, mixed veggies

Snacks - baby carrots, sugar snap peas, and unsalted roasted sunflower and pumpkin kernels/seeds

Dinner - made the sweet potato buns using the book's recipe with ground turkey patties - BOMB!! So good!  :P  :wub:

Today is day 2... I didn't eat my banana until 8-830 am, had my egg around 1030 am. I'm not crazy hungry like I was yesterday, and no snacking urges. I still have to work on getting in something to eat within an hour of waking... that's always been tricky for me seeing as I don't like to eat that early but I understand the "cycle" thing.

Breakfast - banana, hard-boiled egg

Lunch - a leftover sweet potato burger from dinner (can't wait to eat it!! lol)

Snacks - baby carrots, sugar snap peas and leftover fruit salad but haven't tapped into them yet today (it's 11:30am here)

Dinner - whole30 approved beef stew brewing in the crockpot for dinner!!!

So far things have gone ok. I haven't had any headaches or anything like that as of this point. One day at a time!

Day #3! So far, so good...but I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop lol. Still struggling a bit with the meal planning and prepping ahead of time. I'm learning a lot of lessons! I will be a bit more diligent this coming weekend and prepare for next week. I made my first batch of Whole30 mayo last night... not bad! My wife actually liked it! (that's a shocker!) And I also made some breakfast egg muffins. I saved a couple for breakfast this morning and the rest in the freezer! I used Whole30 approved bacon, and it was delicious! In fact, I think it was the best tasting bacon ever!! For lunch we prepared lettuce wrap sandwiches with oven roasted turkey, tomato, and avocado. They were surprisingly filling. Dinner is planned for salad w/ steak and I'm going to make an avocado cilantro lime dressing for it. My wife and I are touching base with each other throughout the day, checking in on how it's going, and being accountable to each other. It's great to have the support.

It's the start of day #4. We were super busy yesterday evening and tired, that we didn't prep our lunches for today. Now we are stuck with the task of making a healthy choice for lunch in the cafeteria. The avocado cilantro lime dressing came out soooooooooooo good last night! Even my 20 yr old son was like... MOM... that was SOOOOO good! score!! I forgot to take some egg muffins out of the freezer, so I had an omelette for breakfast, all veggies, and boy did it hit the spot! Tonight's dinner will be stuffed peppers, can't wait!

Avocado cilantro lime dressing? That sounds so good! Is it in the Whole30 book? If so, I must have missed it and need to go back and find it.

It's awesome you're starting to get in your groove. I agree, this week is a bit of a trial while I'm trying to figure out how to effectively prep for the week, what freezes well, etc. We'll be even more prepared next week!

I'm so happy your wife is supporting you along the way! I can only imagine how much more difficult it is when your family isn't on board or partaking in the same meals as you.

Cheers to the next 26 days of success!

Here we are... day #5. I had breakfast egg muffin and fruit this morning. For lunch I had mixed veggies and some shepherd's pie. Tonight will be tricky though! We aren't going home right after work as we have to go to a meeting at 6pm. we'll be having dinner late. These are the moments where we usually are lazy and get something fast and easy on the way. I'm bringing carrots and sugar snap peas with us!! I have plans for salmon and veggies for dinner. 

• Moderators

I can't tell if you've changed your portion sizes, but those first couple of days where you only had one egg for breakfast, that was definitely not enough food. When eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which for most people is at least three or four. Also, don't be afraid to add fat to your meals.

If you haven't seen the meal template for how your meals should look, it's linked in my signature below.

Thanks Shannon!

This was my first whole30 weekend... it was rough!! LOL  Saturday morning we just had 2 hard boiled eggs, and bacon for breakfast. We worked out in the gym for a bit, and had another egg after. I know we can have plenty of eggs, but I try to limit it because they do tend to make me gassy sometimes! *giggle* Then we had to go to a 5 yr old birthday party. The place was loaded with pizza, hot wings, beer... all the good stuff! Luckily... OMG so lucky... they had a salad w/ grilled chicken that didn't have dressing already smothering it! My friend was so thoughtful of us trying to stick to the plan, she even made us a lil red wine/oil vinagrette for it too! They are pretty healthy themselves, so I thought that was so great of them. Sunday was a good plan day, made a breakfast scramble with veggies and sausage, and some sweet potato "pancakes". No worries... it was just mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and nutmeg, cooked a lil crispy in coconut oil. OMG so good!! Lunch was chicken w/ a salad, and for dinner I made broiled salmon w/ lemon, squash, and cauliflower rice. Oh, and we went for a 6.8 mile walk at the lake. Good weekend! 

Today is now day #8!! I didn't think I'd get this far, but I have! Kudos to me! 

Breakfast - leftover breakfast scramble and sweet potato, a little cantaloupe

Lunch - leftover salmon, squash, and cauli rice

Dinner - plans for taco salad w/ avocado dressing

:D

Absolutely, kudos to you!

This weekend was tough for me too, but we made it! I don't know about you, but I feel stronger for proving to myself that I can avoid the usual weekend temptations and stay committed to my plan.

Cheers to another successful week!! By the way, I love the link to the cilantro lime avocado dressing. It looks so yummy :)

It does make me feel stronger, and helps me keep going! Plus.. I've noticed major things like flatter tummy, less bloating, and more energy in the mornings. It's so dramatic, that even my coworkers notice the change in energy lol!

Yesterday Day #9 

breakfast - 2 eggs, fruit, coffee w/ coconut milk

lunch - taco salad

dinner - top sirloin steak (yummmm), salad w/ vinaigrette, and potatoes

worked out in the gym doing cardio and some weights after dinner - had some leftover steak afterwards for protein

Today's Day #10

breakfast - actually had 3 eggs and 2 sausage patties (I was hungry! lol), coffee w/ coconut milk

lunch - spinach salad w/ albacore tuna salad (made with homemade mayo) and grape tomatoes

dinner - i forget what I have planned for my dinner lol!!

I made the mayo over the weekend. It was really easy and came together quick but I have to admit it tastes like a creamy olive oil spread, not mayo at all. It's almost too strong of an olive oil flavor for me. Did yours turn out the same way? I turned some of the mayo into the avocado mayo and that really turns down the olive oil flavor, but I'm curious if it's normal to have such a strong punch of olive.

Archived