Too much salt?

jen c

How do I know if I'm using too much salt?  Not enough?  Just right? 

I've assumed that with the elimination of all processed foods, my sodium intake has decreased, and that I need to add salt.  I'm into my 3rd week of my first W30 and have been adding salt and pepper to most of my meats and nearly all of my cooked vegetables.  How do I know when I'm in the right ball park for what my body needs?

Thank you.  I was concerned I was adding too much but it sounds like I'm right where I should be.  I appreciate knowing the signs to watch for if I weren't getting enough.  I didn't know about those before. 

• Administrators

Should I be using iodized salt?

Doesn't hurt to change it up instead of using just sea salt all the time.  Iodized, himalayan, sea.....use 'em all for maximum micro-nutrient profile.  :)

My muscles get a bit sore if my sodium gets too low, if it goes too long they feel a bit weak too. Sodium/potassium is also a ratio in the body, they need to be in balance as well as not too low.

My test is having some compliant Frank's Hot Sauce (high in sodium), if I feel much better the next day I know I was too low.

Some other naturally salty things: olives, anchovies, fish sauce (although most people don't consume much per serve).

Things like exercise, sweating, being sick etc can use more of your body's sodium supplies.

Archived