Sue's Whole30 Log - Start Date 3/21/16

Whole30Sue

Ramping up to do another whole30. Did a whole60 last year.

My sugar consumption has gotten incredibly out of control, and I'm having these vague fuzzy memories of control. It really is possible. Yes? I am so deep in this sugar addiction right now that it seems like a fantasy that it is truly possible to be out from under it. But logically I know I've done it before and that I can do it again.

Trying to prepare my pantry and also prepare my mind for a few initial tough days.

I haven't grocery shopped yet, but I've started my list. Started planning.

I'm going to make a breakfast casserole Saturday and freeze portions so that breakfasts should be easier the first week.

I MUST PLAN. If I don't plan, I don't do well, so much of my log may be about what I am going to eat in the future rather than what I actually ate.

Day 1 will be a long and late day, but I don't have to leave the house until 9am so I am thinking of doing Nom Nom paleo's kalua pig in the crock pot. I can then have that any time there is a crunch for time in the week. My family doesn't really like roast pork unless it's with a flour gravy or on tortillas, but I can do that for them.

Day 2 I have a late afternoon board meeting that may involve some serious tension, they also serve dinner, but I don't always stay and eat. So I plan to leave. Will probably have left over pork roast that night.

Day 3 This night should be free, so I can cook. Still deciding what. Needs to be something that creates leftovers.

Also still need to decide about lunches. They are going to be my struggle unless I get a plan in place. Work at a college and have gotten in the habit of eat fast food for lunch.

Grocery shopped today. Made mayo yesterday. Going to make a few other things...breakfast casserole, season all spice mixture, freeze some taco meat, zucchini soup, chicken salad. Tomorrow will be a busy day, so prepping today.

Plan for Monday, will be late day, volleyball games out of town,

M1 casserole, avocado, M2 chicken salad, soup, M3 kalua pig, sweet potato

Plan for Tuesday, board meeting, probably late

M1 casserole, avocado M2 taco meat over sweet potato M3 left over pork with cabbage

Plan for Wednesday, free evening?

M1 casserole, avocado M2 chicken salad M3 baked chicken with potatoes and carrots

During my first whole30 last year I had a persistent ache in my legs that was very bothersome. It last through day 23 and then vanished. I am really hoping it doesn't happen again with my second whole30. I am eating badly, so it is very possible. Guess I will find out early next week. It pretty much started day one last time. I'm really not as concerned with losing weight this time. I want the sugar dragon conquered. It is so incredibly bothersome to lose control so much. And I want more energy.

I start tomorrow. I'm almost ready. Still a few more things to do today in preparation.

One thing I decided not to do today is weigh myself. This round of whole30 for me has absolutely nothing to do with my weight. I am over weight, but if I could just feel good and have more energy and have this blasted sugar dragon off my back, I would be in a much better place. So I'm not even going to get a starting weight!

Day 2

Went very well except for evening headache. And some crankiness.

M1: chorizo casserole, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

M2: chicken thighs, broccoli, noons, mushrooms, sweet potato hash, two boiled eggs

M3: kalua pig, cabbage, broccoli, orange

Day 4

Didn't wake up with a headache today. Just realized that the leg aches that I had during the first three weeks of my whole60 last year is not happening this time. Whew. I am feeling the desire to snack today, but that just might be because I'm taking some time to just relax this afternoon. Tomorrow will be busy, taking a break now.

I have done well with no nuts. I'm surprised. I had nuts everyday last time.

I'm enjoying kombucha. Forgot to put it on my log on day 1. Had some today too. I think the cranberry flavor might keep my sugar dragon awake, so I tried one called Gingerade today, I liked it and don't see it being a problem.

I bought some Bubbies saurkraut and pickles yesterday.

Day 4 continued...

The last time I did a whole30, the forum edits feature worked differently. I could start the day's food log and return to it throughout the day and add my updates with the edit feature. I understand the reasons to limit editing posts, but I'm finding it more difficult to organize. I'm having to start another day 4 entry to get my food listed. Oh well. There are bigger problems in the world. :)

M1: chorizo egg spinach casserole, compliant hot dog frank, saur kraut, coffee with coconut cream

M2: leftover chicken, carrots, potatoes, and onions. Gingerade kombucha. Water

Snack: tuna salad (was craving fruit so I did this instead) Mixed compliant tuna, homemade mayo, Bubbies dill pickles and a boiled egg. Added celery salt and garlic powder. Was yummy.

M3: pork ribs, applesauce

Not ideal day. Low on veggies. Felt nauseated off and on through the day, however, I didn't have any headaches and at one point today, a few minutes before I went to teach a mathematics lecture, I felt a feeling of great joy!

Day 5

Well, I think I may be introducing too many fermented foods too quickly. Yesterday I had kombucha, Bubbies saur kraut and Bubbies dill pickles and boy...every action has an equal and opposite reaction. :)

Lots to do today, I submitted my application for a new job this morning...scary.

Must shop. Food plans for next few days include taco meat, steaks, italian chuck roast, chicken thighs. And need to roast more veggies. My mind is wanting to try roasting something new, but my stomach is saying no!

Day 5 continued...

M1: three fried eggs, veggie stir fry of mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, butternut squash and spinach, coffee with cocunut milk

M2: sweet potato, taco meat, mango pico

Snack: applesauce, Well Fed's silky gingered zucchini soup

M3: steak, roasted potato wedges, small orange

Still not exactly hitting the meal template right, upset stomach this morning also threw the timing off on everything, but feeling okay with it.

Day 2

Completely forgot that I would be getting home late today, so had to find a snack on the road, did ok, although I don't want nuts to become a regular habit.

M1: chorizo casserole, zucchini soup, boiled egg, coffee

M2: tuna (tuna, homemade mayo, boiled egg, pickles, garlic powder, celery salt), pickles, olives 

snack: banana, picstachios

M2: apple chicken sausage, roasted potatoes with smoked paprika may, roasted veggies, zucchini soup

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a food dream. I'm on day 23, dreamed that I licked some non-compliant spaghetti sause off my finger while serving my family. So happy this morning that it isn't true. I already started over once due to accidental ingestion of non-compliant item.

You are committed!!  Good for you!!  I had a pizza dream last year.  I woke up sweating and thought "Michelle...you have been doing so good...why did you eat the pizza?!"  Then I looked around, realized it was a dream and thought "Thank God!"

Keep up the good work!!

Michelle B)

Tomorrow is day 30. Last time I did a whole30 I extended to whole60. I'm not going to do that this time. I am looking forward to a more relaxed paleo way of eating. Haven't logged much of my meals, but I liked not tracking every day. Made it seem more natural and not just temporary. My goal was to get the sugar dragon under control and I feel good that I accomplished that.

Finished my whole30 yesterday. Feeling extremely tempted tonight. There is birthday cake and brownies and ice cream in my house left over from daughter's birthday gathering yesterday.

M1: coffee with coconut milk, larabar (I know, keeping sugar dragon alive.)

M2: meatloaf, sweet potato, mushrooms, unsweetened iced tea

Snack: tuna, banana

M3: baked chicken, carrots

Maybe posting what I ate today will help keep me accountable. Who knows.

Day 32

Did a much better job with breakfast today. No larabar. Two fried eggs, chicken apple sausage, spinach, butternut squash and half an avocado with a drizzle of olive oil. Coffee with coconut milk blended. Yum. Especially enjoyed the sausage. Hoping a good template breakfast will help with the sugar cravings I've been feeling. Now that my thirty days are finished, I'm feeling a subtle "I can do anything I want" attitude starting to creep up.

I need a plan.

I don't want to reintroduce sugar. It will just awaken the cravings. I don't want to reintroduce wheat, I know from last year's whole60 that it causes a runny nose and sneezing. My lymphedema arm is doing so much better and I think keeping out all grains helps with reducing inflammation, so no need for those. Dairy upsets my stomach.

What is left? Soy? Easier to avoid that at home. Carrageenan? Again, easy at home. I need to think more about this. About a version of paleo and find some rules. Guess I do better with rules.

I weighed today. It was a lower number than I expected. I didn't weigh before this whole30, didn't care about the weight loss, but I appear to be about 12lbs less than what I remember from a doctor appointment about 6 months ago. So that was good. I don't like to have an emotional reaction to a number on a scale, so I prepped my mind not to go extreme happy or sad, either direction. I think I managed to stay an even keel, pleased that the number is going in the right direction. My mind did start down the road of "and if I can keep losing at this rate, I'll weigh such-and-such by this event...", but I managed to stop that train of thought fairly quickly. Those thoughts are never beneficial.

And exercise. I need to start thinking about it too.

Now to go pack my lunch before heading out for the day.

Could not heat up my lunch until late so had snack of fruit, cashews and kombucha. Got a cup of ice at a fast food place, poured my kombucha over the ice, then busted the cup while driving. Humph. That was a mess. But I saved enough to enjoy when I finally got to eat lunch.

M2: baked chicken, carrots, sausage and a banana. Kimbucha.

Archived