Feeling a bit rough!!

Hello all,

I am on day 14 and am feeling a bit worse by the day. Utterly exhausted with headaches and feeling a bit heavy frankly. It is also my TOTM so that could be a factor!

I am eating veg stew, chard and beef patties for breakfast, chicken or tuna salad for lunch, an apple and 6-10 nuts as a snack, chicken and greens for dinner. No dairy, nut butters or other 'cheats'. I have also upped exercise so am doing three CV classes a week (step and body attack), two weight training sessions per week of an hour each, one 60 min run and a 40 min swim each week...I am moving every day.I also drink 1.5-2 litres of water a day.

My portions seem normal. A handful of proteins and the rest of the plate made up of veggies...I am just seeking a bit of reassurance that I am doing things the right way and that things will start to shift. I also wonder if the exercise is stalling scale weight? I have lost a couple of inches so far and somehow look longer?!

How long will it take for my new habits to reassure my body that it can afford to drop some of the fat lurking around it and will the second two weeks of the whole 30 move things on any?

Any advice would be very welcome,

Angie

Hi! I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy, but I don't think it's so uncommon ~halfway through the program (esp. if it's that TOTM!).

I posted about this recently elsewhere, but I have a feeling your lack of energy is connected to all of that exercise. You sound like a very active person, so maybe it's a little scary to consider, but how do you think you'd feel if you cut down your workouts to 2x/week for a couple of weeks? (Or even less!) I was exercising with similar frequency to what you described, and found that I felt so much better when I took a vacation from the gym and focused on yoga and light body-weight exercises while my body learned how to burn fat. Now that I'm active again - doing CrossFit and loving it! - I've found that my performance has skyrocketed.

I don't mean to be critical, but maybe it's worth examining what your motivations for all of that exercise are. When I asked myself the same question during my Whole30, I ended up modifying my approach to fitness significantly. And, yes, what Derval said re: the post-WO snack...make sure that you are eating a low-fat protein with some starchy veggie as soon as you're done with your WO (my favorite is baked chicken in mashed sweet potato or acorn squash)! It helps so much w/ recovery.

Good luck!

Oh my! Cutting back on exercise seems a little scary as it helps so much with my moods and stress levels! My job is fairly high stress but also office based so that hour at the end of the day to sweat and release tension is something I look forward to. I'm not eating starches and I think I have been worried (old diet habits) about introducing them but maybe it would help?

Thanks for your support and the reply :)

I'm not eating starches

Oh dear! You will feel SO much better when you start eating some starchy vegetables! Do you have access to spaghetti squash in the UK? That is my absolute favorite way to ensure I'm getting enough starch - I throw some homemade tomato sauce on top with beef/pork meatballs, or pork shoulder, or stew... Sweet potatoes are also your friend, and ANY of the winter squashes. Eat some carbs, girly! They are good for you, and 100% necessary when you're doing all of that exercise! Whole30 is NOT low-carb.

Let us know how you feel when you've eaten some delicious sweet potato puree. :)

I totally agree with eating more starchy vegetables and more food in general (Pre and post workout mini meals). I hit a spot in my whole30 towards the end when I was exhausted. I started eating more and adding some sweet potato in to my diet every day (usually brekky or lunch, sometimes both) and the difference I felt was fantastic.

Wowsers I'm surprised you're not feeling more than "a bit" rough?

Get some butternut squash, parsnips, turnips, sweet potatoes etc in to you. Maybe sub out some of those exercise session with some other de-stressors, meditation, a nice walk listening to your favourite music, some jiggy-jiggy ;):wub:

You need to forget about all the diets you've been on, wipe the slate clean, this is not a diet, it's an eating plan for health. Have a look at the shopping lists & meal templates and work from them.

Feel better soon

Archived