marandjarmom

Sodium Metabisulphite

I noticed that this is in the coconut milk I have been using.  It isn't on the don't use list but a form of it is. (I didn't know this until last night).  I returned it today and couldn't find one without it.  Is this ingredient okay and if not does anyone know where I might find coconut milk without it?? (I'm on day 16)

Are you using canned or cartoned coconut milk? The canned varieties tend to have only 2 or 3 ingredients (coconut, water, and sometimes guar gum/xanthan gum). Cartoned ones tend to have more stuff in them. 

Unfortunately, that is a sulphite, so it's out for Whole30. 

Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.C6BaiCg7.dpuf

Sodium metabisulphite is a form of sulfites. Your coconut milk has been irritating your gut meaningfully and has been pressing the restart button on your Whole30 every time you ate it. 

Yes, sulfites are a gut disruptor, so they're not compliant. If the thought of day 1 is too hard right now, think of it as a Whole46.

I can get pure coconut milk and cream in a can where I live, Ayam brand. Coconut and water, that's it. Sometimes you may need to try different stores.

I am having a hard time with responses like the one that mentions restarting. This happens a lot on this site. I believe that the whole30 is a learning process. Someone who innocently purchases a non compliant product isn't weak but this response makes it seem as though it's a matter of willpower. I'm not going to fall victim to people who tell me to restart when I eat something like a sulfite accidentally. I got sick from it and that's why I'm here. Things like this help me learn how these seemingly small ingredients that we don't notice impact our health. I'm on day 14 and tomorrow I'm on day 15 and I might go to day 44 or I might end on day 30!  Either way this experience has been a success and I am working through a lot of emotions and physical pain to get to the root cause of my gastrointestinal issues.

Rock on my error filled whole30'ers

1 hour ago, ThomasTrain said:

I am having a hard time with responses like the one that mentions restarting. This happens a lot on this site. I believe that the whole30 is a learning process. Someone who innocently purchases a non compliant product isn't weak but this response makes it seem as though it's a matter of willpower. I'm not going to fall victim to people who tell me to restart when I eat something like a sulfite accidentally. I got sick from it and that's why I'm here. Things like this help me learn how these seemingly small ingredients that we don't notice impact our health. I'm on day 14 and tomorrow I'm on day 15 and I might go to day 44 or I might end on day 30!  Either way this experience has been a success and I am working through a lot of emotions and physical pain to get to the root cause of my gastrointestinal issues.

Rock on my error filled whole30'ers

It's definitely not because we think people lack willpower that we suggest restarting.  It's because of precisely what you said about seemingly small ingredients that are impacting one's health.  In order to properly test the foods at the end of the program, you need a clean slate to start with and that's where the full 30 days with no mistakes comes in.  If that sulphite was actually something extremely problematic for you (which it actually is for me), then it would do damage to your gut and reset the reset whether it was accidental or purposeful.  We also direct people to the article linked in my signature  below titled 'Do I really need to start over' which gives helpful advice and pointers on situations that may come up so each participant can make their own decision as to whether or not they're going to restart.  It's not linked in this conversation but it's mentioned in almost every conversation about someone asking if something they accidentally (or on purpose) ate means they have to start over.

9 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It's definitely not because we think people lack willpower that we suggest restarting.  It's because of precisely what you said about seemingly small ingredients that are impacting one's health.  In order to properly test the foods at the end of the program, you need a clean slate to start with and that's where the full 30 days with no mistakes comes in.  If that sulphite was actually something extremely problematic for you (which it actually is for me), then it would do damage to your gut and reset the reset whether it was accidental or purposeful.  We also direct people to the article linked in my signature  below titled 'Do I really need to start over' which gives helpful advice and pointers on situations that may come up so each participant can make their own decision as to whether or not they're going to restart.  It's not linked in this conversation but it's mentioned in almost every conversation about someone asking if something they accidentally (or on purpose) ate means they have to start over.

I appreciate this and to a degree you are certainly correct; however, I think this black and white thinking can be alienating and I want to shed light on that. Most people see the "restart button" as an out, a way to say well if I've messed up so bad I have to go back to the beginning I might as well quit now. I think there is a lot to gain from the next 16 days and I appreciate the idea of wanting to figure things out but I think when we mentally commit to 30 days and some person, program, or rule book tells us our preconceived notion of "day 30" is no longer it's an emotional blow. I started this of my own volition and I would like to end it that way too. Yes, I am still in pain but if I restart every time I find a component of what I am eating has unknowingly poisoned me, I am in for a Whole365. This may not sound like hell to you but for me as a preferred vegetarian trying to figure out my "problems" it makes me want to vomit. I hate meat but I'm eating it to figure out what vegetarian protein source is bothering me. I've become wiser but if I go on for the next 16 days not experiencing pain I will likely end my whole 30 on my original whole30 date. If on day 25 I'm still in pain that might be a different story but for now, I'm going to keep trucking and I think that's what others need to hear as well.

Here's the thing: Whole30 removes the most common foods that cause trouble for people. Yes, there are people who find out that they can't tolerate eggs or coconut or cashews or raw bell peppers and need to remove those too but those things don't warrant a restart. 

If you tolerate eggs, you can do a vegetarian Whole30 using eggs as your protein source and then you're not forcing yourself to eat meat. 

Sometimes "keep on trucking" works and it doesn't derail your Whole30 too much. Sometimes, you want to actually get the full effect by starting your reintroductions from a place knowing you got all of the really bad gut disruptors out of your system so your reintros are the most accurate. In that second case, you need to get a full 30 days without them. 

No one here will say that the prospect of having to restart when you were on Day 28 isn't discouraging. The mods aren't heartless; they're not dumb. They're experienced and want people to be able to get the absolute most benefit out of the program. If that means that they're telling someone who accidentally ate a crouton or two on Day 28 that they should restart, that's what they're going to do. Not to be cruel. To help people get the most out of their reintros when they get there.