Kombucha in the UK

AngieMaggieB

Hi, if you go to the Go kombucha website

http://www.gokombucha.com/index.php/online-shop/2-main-content/20-go-kombucha-red-pu-erh

They make a red puerh extra strong kombucha which is only 2.5gms per 100ml. I don't know if this would be acceptable or indeed what it tastes like. But I've been hunting everywhere for Kombucha too :(

Hi Arabis, I drink GO Kombucha all the time when I visit the UK; it is the closest to home-brewed kombucha I have ever tasted - delicious!! - and I like that they don't add flavours and just keep it completely raw. Regarding sugar, as a rule of thumb if the level goes below 5g per 100g it will start tasting vinegary. At 2g it will be virtually pure vinegar so I take with a great pinch of salt any commercial kombucha that labels their tea thus...unless they are adulterating their product in some way that removes most of the acetic acid, in which case it is not real kombucha, is it? I know some US kombucha brewers have fallen foul of labelling regulations with regards alcohol levels - GT's labels do not even list tea as an ingredient!! - and I think they should be more honest about the amount of sugar in their end products. 5g per 100g is about right for the perfect sweet/sour balance most look for...

...I should add though that in the case of kombucha tea, the abundance of millions of essential live and active organisms per glass surely overrides the amount of sugar present? GO Kombucha recommends drinking a 125ml glass (6g sugar) a day so I find a 750ml bottle lasts me a week. Not bad for £4.99! Whereas GT's says drink one whole 480ml bottle a day, equivalent to 10g sugar if we are to believe GT's claim of only 2g per 100ml, and costing $3.80 a day! Which is why I bubble-wrap a good few bottles of GO to take home with me from the UK each time...

Pecca -

You're pretty much on track here. Obviously, we don't want you drinking a sugar bomb, but as long as the booch wasn't sweetened with sugar (or an equivalent) after brewing, they're fine. Fruit juice sweetened varieties are also fine (again, be wise). There's no reason to fuss over 2 or 4g here and there. Check your ingredient lists and enjoy (again...say it with me...reasonably).

My favorites are GT Dave's Gingerberry (4g per serving) and Guava Goddess (12g, I think, per serving).

Archived