Avocado seed?? I just saw something about eating the pit of the avocado....

Jeanni Hall

OK - this is totally random, and i'm not even sure I *want* to do this, but I just saw on Facebook some video showing how to dehydrate, dice and grind up the pit/seed of the avocados.  I guess I always thought they were like peach pits or something - definitely something to avoid.  But after seeing that, I googled it to see if it was totally off the wall, and it turns out that it's considered a super healthy health food....  ??  You put it IN things for an extra dose of antioxidant, apparently?  

I know certain seeds are allowed on Whole30, so I'm wondering if this is.  I did a quick search on the forum and came up with a lot of hits for avocado but none that, at a fairly (admittedly) quick scan, seemed to address the seed.

I eat  a LOT of avocado and avocado oil... i'm wondering if adding the seed would be something to consider, and if it would be Whole30 compliant?

It seems that most people put ground avocado pit in smoothies to mask the bitterness, which would obviously be out for Whole30. Also, the pit is high in tannins, so if you have a reaction to tannins in wine, consuming the avocado pit might not be a good idea. 

Having done just a little bit of reading on it, it just seems like more trouble than it's worth, but that's just my opinion. 

• Moderators

One of my friends asked me about grinding up the shells of the pastured eggs he buys to get extra calcium. Grinding up avocado pits sounds a lot like eating egg shells to me. Maybe you can, but you've got better choices. 

I have a friend who tried, this, put the pit in the food processor and added it to his smoothie. Later in the day, he had such sharp stomach pains that he needed to go to the hospital. No problems, the pit just didn't agree with him. I'm not sure if it has enough nutritional value to warrant eating it. I absolutely adore avocados, but I've left the pit alone.

Most of the sites promoting this are not scientific (except on the how to do it without ruining your blender). There's a general consensus that they aren't toxic, but also that they may cause gastric distress (not high on most people's wishlists). There's also a note that the pits may be toxic to dogs, so just like xylitol, keep it well away from animals.

Personally, since the poorest countries on earth do not seem to eat pits in this manner, I think it's probably in the silly trend category. If it was such a great food source, people wouldn't be throwing them away.

[Update: This actually contains some more disturbing data but please note the toxicity is specifically for animals, but it includes fatalities. On a risk vs benefits scale, this seems to be getting into risky territory for benefits that can be obtained elsewhere with safety. Even if not harmful to humans, the risk to animals seems extreme and not warranted for the nutrition contents of the pit.]

• Moderators

Okay, I got official word from Melissa.

Basically, yes, you can eat it if you want but there's really no reason.  It's basically a big wad of soluble fibre, which you are getting in abundance from all the fruits and vegetables you already eat.  Yes, there are some anti-oxidants in it but it's not a 'superfood' and it doesn't have any greater value than actual food...

Also, it's quite bitter so you usually have to mix it with something sweet... and in the context of the template, what exactly would that be that wasn't a smoothie or a SWYPO item.

Official ruling: You can, but why would you want to.

I'm kinda relieved that you don't want to.   It reminded me of a man who swallowed a pea (a canned pea,  no less) and he grew a pea plant in his lung.  The pea went down the wrong pipe.  You don't want an avocado tree.  ;)  The good part of the story is that I thought all canned vegetables had no life force left but apparently,  they do. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-10945050

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/197623.php

ACK!  That's the stuff of nightmares!!!  I'm convinced! No avocado plants in MY lungs, no sirree!!   :)

I promise you,  you won't forget it.   I remember the original news report with the x-rays.   It's always stuck with me.  I think about it whenever I buy canned peas for my folks.  :D  Pea plants growing in the lungs.  :lol: 

No avocado tree for you, Jeanni. 

Archived