satiety

SBJohnson

Before I read Food First, I tried to make muffin-like food.  The ingredients included:  almond meal, coconut flour, unsweetened almond milk (no carrageenan), eggs, wild blueberries,  bananas and coconut oil.   The texture doesn't even come close to a muffin.   I understand that this is not Whole30 compliant.  That being said, if this food brings satiety and keeps me going because of the protein, fat and all the incredible nutrients in the fruit; why on earth should I not have it?  The first time I tried it, before being off sugar for 2 weeks, it tasted pretty bad. The texture was awful, too.   Now it's just whole food full of antioxidants and energy. 

Fifteen years ago I had to give up gluten.  This was back in the day when there weren't GF cereals and breads readily available in mainstream grocery stores.  I have successfully lived without all those foods that fill us and taste good, but don't bring satiety.  I don't perceive my muffin-like creation as something that will derail me from eating nutritious foods and tempt me into eating highly processed foods.   For this reason, I don't see why I should forego my muffin-like creation.

• Moderators

why on earth should I not have it?  The first time I tried it, before being off sugar for 2 weeks, it tasted pretty bad. The texture was awful, too.   Now it's just whole food full of antioxidants and energy. 

Fifteen years ago I had to give up gluten.  This was back in the day when there weren't GF cereals and breads readily available in mainstream grocery stores.  I have successfully lived without all those foods that fill us and taste good, but don't bring satiety.  I don't perceive my muffin-like creation as something that will derail me from eating nutritious foods and tempt me into eating highly processed foods.   For this reason, I don't see why I should forego my muffin-like creation.

You give up the muffin partly because 'rules'.  More specifically, the Whole30 wants you to change your perception of food and food like products.  Jamming  compliant ingredients into a 'muffin like' creation does nothing to change your habits and as you said, it was awful.  Why would you want to eat something awful??

Why not leave the muffin alone for 30 days and eat veggies, protein and fats on your plate?  Muffins are heavily loaded with nut products which can be very hard on digestion, they're often loaded with more fruit than you would normally eat in one sitting and altho you say they won't lead you down the wrong path, you don't know that and you're worth enough to do the whole30 with the rules.

The muffin also doesn't match the template of 1-2 palms of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping) 1-3 cups of veggies (not fruit) and 2 thumbs of fat.

Honestly the whole 30 simply makes the requests that we stay away from recreating baked goods.  It explicitly says this in the Official Can I have post found here: 

Almond Flour: Yes

Yes, you can have almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and other non-grain-based flours, but it’s context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew.  You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, waffles, biscuits, tortillas, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.IioQV4r7.dpuf

• Moderators

Paleo muffins are second-rate crap compared to what we ask you to eat. Almond meal, coconut flour, almond milk, blueberries,  bananas, and coconut oil fall far short of animal protein and veggies. Veggies are more nutrient dense than all fruit, so we ask you to eat veggies and don't mind if you skip fruit altogether. So you can't claim anything made with fruit is superior. All flours, meals, and nut milks are nutrient light compared to animal protein or veggies. Basically, the only valuable food you include in your muffin are eggs. The wrapper you want to hold your eggs with just don't measure up.

The Whole30 is not about eating less bad than before. It is about eating really good and you cannot eat really good, nutrient dense food by consuming paleo muffins. The Whole30 is designed to create wonderful results. If you fight against the rules and look for ways to eat the way you are used to eating instead of getting on board with the recommendations, your results will suffer. 

If you like the portability of "muffins", you can bake eggs and veggies in muffin tins, just as portable, much more nutritious and plenty of compliant options :)

You'll notice most SWYPO baked goods contain no veggies at all, this should always be a red flag for any recipe claiming to be healthy. These kinds of recipes (including "monkey salad") will push vegetables and other healthy options off your plate, so they really do make a difference.

You've already seen how much your tastes can change, the same thing happens on Whole30, compliant food tastes good :)

Archived