day 21 and not feelin it

I'm at Day 21 and I'm disappointed because my digestion still seems to be slow. (once every other day or three days). Some times that situation can make me very bloated. I'm definitely eating enough. I've read through the posts where people are scolded for that. That is not my problem. I work out daily and early so sometimes breakfast is a hard boiled egg on the way into the gym and a half a banana or apple with almond butter after the gym. Lunch is generally a huge plate of greens with turkey or chicken/egg avacado and balsamic vin dressing ( from the whole30 cookbook)- Dinner is chicken or eggs with a sweet potato and broccoli

Any advice? I'm definitely not feeling like I should after giving up dairy, sugar , beans, wheat soy and corn!  I haven't cheated at all.

• Moderators

You are not eating enough. You are due a post-workout meal and a full breakfast given your early morning workout. Instead you are eating half a banana or an apple with some almond butter. You are getting no protein when your body seriously wants protein and no veggies when we advise you to eat a plate full. When you say you are eating a huge plate of greens for lunch, you are telling me you eat are having a salad with some meat or eggs and avocado. You would need to eat a bucket of greens to get enough plant matter. The problem with salad is that it turns to green juice after being chewed. When we advise filling a plate with veggies, we are talking about cooked veggies that actually provide meaningful bulk. You dinner might be the only meal that meets meal composition guidelines, but you are not reporting how much chicken or how many eggs. 

We also recommend drinking 1/2 ounce of water for every pound of body weight every day. So if you weighed 120 pounds, you would need to drink 60 ounces of water per day. 

The food you report eating overall sounds extremely light on fat. 

So basically it sounds like you need more protein, more veggies, and more fat. And maybe you need more water. Please review our meal planning template and see how we consider workouts important enough to justify adding 2 meals to a basic 3 meals per day so that you should be eating 5 meals on workout days.

How much to eat

• Moderators

Tom gave you excellent advice and altho I'm sure it's not what you wanted to hear, I hope you don't consider it 'scolding'. In fact, I hope no one ever thinks they're being scolded when they ask for help. We just really want you to feel amazing and get the most out of this program that you can and sometimes our past history of poor eating, calorie counting and other disordered eating thoughts can come back and haunt us. Definitely try matching your meals to the meal template and I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

As far as not 'going', I'll tell you what I told someone else... your 'output' is directly related to your input and if you're eating so very little (which is the case), your body isn't going to have a heck of a lot to 'output'. Causes what seems like slow digestion because it takes much longer for your intestines to fill up and move along if there's no input 'pushing' from above... if you get what I mean...

Please eat up, you'll feel a hundred times better!!

...I work out daily and early so sometimes breakfast is a hard boiled egg on the way into the gym and a half a banana or apple with almond butter after the gym. 

Apart from the great advice that Tom & SugarCubeOD have given you I'd just comment that the daily serving of almond butter won't be doing you any favours - both in terms of a post WO meal (where the recommendation is for a lean protein & optional starchy carb - no fat as it slows down absorption of prtein by the muscle and almond butter is a fat source on Whole30) and in terms of digestive distress - nuts & nut butters are notoriously hard on the digestive system.

Archived