So.. um.. floating stools?

So I'm on Day 14 and I'm feeling awesome! Aside from the random Why-Don't-My-Pants-Fit stage, I've been mostly bloat and stomach ache free, and I've been pretty much regular since about Day 5, which is exciting for someone like me who has always been some level of constipated.

But I've noticed something a little different about my stools... they float... every time! Why could this be? Is it a problem?

Some changes in BMs isn't entirely uncommon....

Can you give us a run down of what you've been eating over the last lot of days, with specifics on veggie types, portion sizes, liquid intake etc - that way we'll be better equipped to help you troubleshoot  :)

It's kinda difficult to actually list what I've been eating, since I eat different things almost every day so as not to get bored, and this has been happening for nearly two weeks. But here is a sample of some meals I've had recently:

Breakfast:

- 2 Scotch eggs (sausage-wrapped hard boiled egg) with fruit (apple, orange, pineapple, mango, melon)

- 2 Hard boiled eggs and apples with cashew butter

- 2 eggs scrabbled with tomatoes, roasted red potatoes cooked in olive oil 

- a Larabar (emergency breakfast)

Lunch/Dinners:

- Indian Butter Chicken, made with ghee and coconut milk, carmelized onions, green peppers, and cauliflower.

- Chili made with ground turkey, chorizo, onion, red peppers, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce

- Corned beef, boiled potatoes, cooked cabbage (St. Patty's day!)

- Salmon with ghee and lemon, grilled asparagus, berries

- Romaine and mixed greens salad with rotisserie chicken, bacon, tomato, avocado, and pesto-mayo dressing

- Salad with mixed greens, kale, spinach, broccoli, red cabbage, red onions, black olives, chicken, bacon, and oil/vinegar

Drinks:

- 1 coffee or green tea/day

- 1-2 glasses of water/day

- 2-4 La Croix/day

- 2-3 bottles Kombuca/week

Snacks:

I rarely feel the need to snack, but if I do, I have a piece of fruit, a handful of cashews or pistachios, or a handful of olives

Portion sizes: I'm not trying to lose weight, so I eat until I'm full. I generally try to do the fist-size meat portion, but it's difficult to tell when I usually have the meat in a curry or a chili (which I make in bulk) or a salad.

• Administrators

The protein portion is not meant to be "fist sized" but rather the equivilant of your palm in length, width and thickness.  You can eyeball ground meat and how large of a patty your meat serving would be if you formed it. It's not too tough.

Have you been having any bloating or excess gas these past couple of weeks? Floating poops can be from trapped gas caused from digestive distress.  It can also be a temporary excess of undigested fat but I don't see that you're even adding fat to every meal so I somehow doubt that is the cause.

See, that's the weird thing: I've been experiencing significantly less bloating and gas in the past two weeks than I have in the past few years... and yet I'm experiencing a 100% increase in the floating of the poops!

This diet is pretty much the exact opposite of my previous way of eating, except that I've always eaten a lot of veggies. My diet was heavy on the grains and dairy, and very light on the meat. I am eating more fatty than lean meats, though, if that has anything to do with it?

• Moderators

Not sure if this is related to the poop question but you are definitely not drinking enough.  The recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of bodyweight and while La Croix 'counts' you really need to be having more than two glasses of water a day... 

Archived