Whole30 Devastation

emilyKJ

Ok. So a pretty dramatic title but here's the thing. The backstory: I started my whole30 March 1st because my friend asked me to, because I'd gained back the 30 pounds I had lost a year ago and then some, because we just left California for Indiana and I wanted to still stay connected to my friend, because I've been on crazy yo-yo diets with my mom since I was 8 and wanted that coveted "Food Freedom!"

I took on this challenge with everything I've got. Haven't been able to secure a job yet so I saw that as an opportunity or a sign from God that this was my time to do this *triumphantly raises fist toward sky.* I've been so careful! I've used the dining out guidelines and was that customer that dissected every ingredient. I learned from grocery store shopping how sneaky soy can be (I mean it was hard to find an animal/vegetable stock that didn't include it) So I didn't eat out unless I absolutely had to (first world problem) I. Trusted. No one!

Except I guess my husband, who very kindly cooks dinners occasionally and who I believed to be fully aware of the Do's and dont's of the whole30 way. Day 16...last meal of the day, after I survived a visit to my grandma's who demanded taking me out for lunch even though I packed myself food, God bless her.

I. Was. Dosed.

My husband couldn't find the olive oil sitting in plain sight on the counter and instead used vegetable oil. Now this strikes me as sorta commical as I flashback to when I was prepping our pantry and scrutinized this devil oil, "oh Jon likes to use this on popcorn." It was not thrown away.

So I experienced all the 5 stages of grief and have decided for my own sanity that I'm going to continue on as if on track, not give in to the "what the hell" phenomenon, and if at the end I feel I need to do another 16 I'll do it.

My friend who is also doing whole30 doesn't think it matters but from everything I've read, technically my Day 17 should really be Day 1. But like I said, psychologically, I just can't. Nope. But I'm someone who goes by the books....I'll probably do another 16 at the end but for right now, today is day mutha lickin' 17!

• Moderators

So I experienced all the 5 stages of grief and have decided for my own sanity that I'm going to continue on as if on track, not give in to the "what the hell" phenomenon, and if at the end I feel I need to do another 16 I'll do it.

My friend who is also doing whole30 doesn't think it matters but from everything I've read, technically my Day 17 should really be Day 1. But like I said, psychologically, I just can't. Nope. But I'm someone who goes by the books....I'll probably do another 16 at the end but for right now, today is day mutha lickin' 17!

I think this is a good call!

• 1 month later...

Archived