Help! I'm super hungry when i shouldn't be

kellygreenface

Hey friends!

Im about 35 days into my whole46 (doing it for lent). Things are going well, except that there are some days when I find I'm still ravenous at the end of the day. Today is one of those days. I tracked my calories just for today (i know, i know) because i was wondering if i was underrating. I'm eating lots of calories. LOTS. but I'm still weirdly hungry. 

My stats: 5'10", ~250lbs, I lift heavy, so a good chunk of that is muscle (but lots of fat too!)

My food today:

coffee w/a bit of coconut milk

1 banana 

3 eggs

1 blood orange

1 tbsp cashew butter

a whole can of wild-caught salmon with

primal kitchen mayo, lemon, and dill

a lot of spinach

1/2 avocado

like 5 cups of kale sautéed in bacon fat

1 chicken thigh

1 bell pepper

1/2 avocado

tahini sauce (tahini, lemon juice, salt, water)

all of that was prepped beforehand because i had a long day. I also walked a 5k briskly at the end of the day, and afterward I was super hungry. i ate a lara bar in the car on the way home, because it was what i had. but when I got home, i was still hungry. so i had more:

1 chili lime chicken burger (Trader Joes)

and then I was STILL hungry, so I had 3 slices of bacon.  

The app says that all totals to about 2500 calories. I am a really big person, I get that. And I know muscle needs fuel. And I KNOW i am supposed to be listening to my body and not to the number of calories. But I just feel like I'm eating a ton and, tbh, I am just now starting to feel full as I am starting to process the bacon. 

Help! What's going on??

• Moderators

Your breakfast would leave me hungry all day too. 

For every meal, you should be aiming to have:

• 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand
  • 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or 1-2 heaping handfuls of olives or coconut chips, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a small handful of nuts
  • 1-3 cups of vegetables -- aim for 3 cups at every meal, more if they're all raw leafy greens, just because those tend to break down to nothing and leave you still hungry

Occasionally, have some fruit, try to limit it to no more than two fist-sized servings a day, and you never have to eat any. Most people do best with at least a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables (potato, sweet potato, winter squashes, root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, rutabaga)

If you know you're going to exercise at the end of the day, take a post-workout meal of lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetable to eat -- chicken breast or tuna with some sweet potato is a popular option. A Larabar really doesn't cut it, and the sweetness of it can leave you craving more sweets.

Many people find having fruit at breakfast leaves them hungry the rest of the day, so maybe try ditching the fruit first thing and instead filling up your plate with vegetables.

How much spinach is "a lot of spinach"? See my note above about raw leafy greens if you're not cooking the spinach too. Maybe add a second vegetable to that (or more, if you want).

For supper, I personally would probably eat 2-3 chicken thighs at a time. If you're buying them bone-in, they can be deceiving -- they're really not a huge amount of meat. 

And just a reminder, don't worry about the calories. Some days you need to eat more, some days less -- the human body is dynamic, it changes -- no formula can tell you how much you need to eat to do the things you do every day.

• Moderators

Back in the 1980s when I was a marathon runner, I attended a seminar at the gym where I worked out led by a dietitian. She got all of us in the room to write down our food for a day, so she could calculate how many calories we were eating. She then coached us on how we should be eating. I made her brain hurt because I was consuming over 4000 calories per day and was skinny at 165-170 pounds. She wanted to tell me I had to change what I was eating as she did most of the people in the room, but I was the skinniest person in the room. She just had a sad face while she reviewed my high calorie diet and then said it was obviously working for me. :)

Today I weigh 190 pounds at 6'2". I have been strength training five days a week consistently and have gained 5 pounds over the past 3-6 months (since my last doctor visit). Since you are bigger than me and lifting heavy, you may need to eat more even though you are wanting to shed some fat. Let me tell you what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: 3 jumbo eggs and a large serving of sauerkraut.

Post-workout: 1 can of sardines packed in water with some mustard for extra flavor

Lunch: Stir fry of onions, one fist-size serving of white potato, about 5 cups of shredded collards, a handful of dried cranberries, and two palm-size servings of ground beef (85/15). This meal filled my plate to a level of about 1.5 inches deep. 

Supper: Salmon salad made with a can of salmon, one whole avocado, onions, two large dill pickle spears, dried cranberries, one can of beets, and mustard. 

I drank a large bottle of kombucha and about 10 glasses of water, not counting water consumed during workout. 

Here is the deal, I was busy and failed to drink two mugs of collagen/bone broth in the evening. I felt full at bed time, but woke up hungry at 3 AM. I got up and ate a large baked sweet potato with a handful of macadamia nuts and a glass of water. I'm thinking if I had drunk my collagen/bone broth, I might have slept until 7 AM, but I did not eat quite enough for me yesterday. 

I'm 5ft2 and about 110lbs but I feel hungry just looking at your list. One chicken thigh is a snack .... I have pretty high protein needs and to keep me from hunger I'd need to eat three at a meal.

The meal template is so good .... Definitely follow that.

Hi Kelly

I am like you.  A bit shorter but overall similar by the sounds of things.  My stats are: 5'9" approx 230lbs.  I am also muscular and have fat. 

I am going to echo everyone above and say - you need to eat far more than you are eating - it's no wonder you are hungry.

My meals very often look like this:

M1:  Ground meat - usually 1/4 to 1/3 of a lb.  (If there is less than this I will add two eggs). 1/4 to 1/3 of a largish sweet potato - usually cubed and cooked ahead of time.  Handfuls of greens - usually spinach but I will use any green if available.  Dollops of mayo.  Side note:  On work out days I work out usually 1 hr after breakfast is finished.  My breakfast composition is a little bit different as I drop the sweet potato from the meal and add it to my post work out. 

Post work out is a can of tuna packed in water and a couple of bites of sweet potato. (lean protein and starchy veg)

M2: Sweet Carrot Dill soup, Deli style Salmon Salad, small fruit salad (strawberries, pineapple)

M3: Spaghetti Squash, Tomato sauce, Salad, veal, and a piece of home sausage.

Archived