Reintroduction - eating at restaurants

Hi there,

I recently completed my first Whole 30 and was feeling so great I didn't want to rush into reintroduction (I have had chronic stomach and digestive issues over the last couple years and I was enjoying being pain free).  I decided to try the more "relaxed" Whole 30 eating plan suggested on the website, where you follow the food restrictions but let yourself have ketchup, vinaigrette dressing, etc.  I have eaten two meals out so far: (1) prime rib and steamed broccoli and (2) a naked hamburger with sweet potato fries and have been soooo sick almost immediately after both meals (terrible stomach and digestive issues). Is this just because I wasn't used to eating out during my Whole 30? I didn't specifically ask what everything was cooked in but I'm wondering if I am allergic to a common cooking oil used at restaurants.  Has anyone else has reacted like this?

Thanks!

• Moderators

This is why we recommend people do reintroductions, so you know for sure what you react to. The relaxed Whole30 rules are really about added sugar, but when you're in a restaurant, there could be a whole lot more than sugar in your food.

The prime rib could have been marinated in something containing soy, it could have been cooked in butter or had butter added to it at the end of cooking. Broccoli might have had something like butter or soy sauce added to it, though you probably should have been able to taste if it had. Burgers could have soy in their seasoning, and some places even add milk or bread crumbs to them, plus you don't know what oil the burger or the fries were cooked in.

Go back to Whole30 eating until you feel good again and maybe add a few days on to that for good measure, then pick something to reintroduce and see what happens. If you want to narrow down where to start, contact the restaurants you've eaten at and ask what they cooked their foods in, what ingredients the burger and fries might have contained, and see if there was anything in both meals -- if there is, that would be a good thing to start with. (If they're chain restaurants, you could google the restaurant name plus allergens (so Chili's allergens for instance) and see if they have that information online anywhere.)

Thanks for the responses.  I am still a little bit confused on the reintroduction plan though.  I read the sample plan which discusses adding in entire food groups (i.e. legumes, dairy, gluten) one at a time.  Am I supposed to also reintroduce something like butter or soy sauce on its own day? 

• Moderators

Soy should definitely be re-intro'd on it's own if possible because it is known to be massively disruptive.

The more you extend the re-intro and parse out different items of different food groups, the more specific the data you'll have about how you react to certain things.

Archived