A few reintro questions

katieblue

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I will complete our first Whole 30 on Tuesday, March 22!

I want to do a slow roll reintroduction, because I love the way I've been feeling and I don't really feel a need to reintroduce too much. The priorities are cheese, because it's the one thing we really have missed, and sugar, not in desserts or anything, but to be okay with the amounts that are in bacon or sausage or other cured meats, or salad dressings and condiments if only for time-saving and convenience purposes when eating out.

So on Wednesday or Thursday, we are going to start with dairy, specifically cheese. Do we need to incorporate it with every meal? Would it be okay to toss some feta on a salad with lunch and then have cheese on a burger with dinner, or is this not enough to really discover if there will be a reaction?

Then, on Sunday, since it will be Easter, I was thinking of reintroducing sugar that day. We're having brunch with his family and there will be bacon and sausage and ham galore. Is it okay to just stick to the small amounts of added sugar included in cured meats?

Also, my boyfriend has questions about beer - is this a thing that he should introduce during a day of its own as well?

Just want to make sure I understand the way this works! Thanks in advance. :)

• Moderators

The loading from consuming a test food three times per day assures you are likely to get a noticeable reaction if you are only modestly sensitive. Twice per day might be okay, but this is a matter that is very individual. Maybe you could grate some cheese onto eggs at meal 1? Or just do M2 and M3. 

The way you are planning to let added sugar into your life in the future makes the Easter plan sound reasonable.

Beer deserves its own day in a slow role. Test gluten first to see if there is any sensitivity and then after two days of Whole30 compliance, test beer. That would help you sort out what part is gluten and what part is alcohol. 

Thanks for the heads up! I am pretty well-versed in the gluten department because I learned about six years ago that I have an intolerance to it, so I personally avoid it as much as possible. But the idea of the boyfriend possibly having some aversion to it is quite new for him... and may take a while to sink in. ;)

We are on the same schedule as you! I am planning a careful reintro so I learn what I can eat and what I best leave off. I am starting with things I miss and value. My plan is to ease into Whole 30 ish / Weston A Price foods, as I am devoted to local. Coconut milk is great, but it travels so far to reach me in Maine. 

I already have some locally made water buffalo yogurt to try on Wednesday. I will in due course try out cheese, as I miss that. We are eager to celebrate with a glass of wine, though not sure when that fits into our schedule. I need to add brown rice to see if it works, but more like a tablespoon at a time, not a cup or plateful at a time. I am generally doing well without grains, and not doing so well on cauliflower rice. Need to cut down on the crucifers. 

Planning to steer wide of sugars, almost all grains, legumes. I will test some legumes eventually, but I will be more judicious about them than in the past, and test to see if some work and some don't.  Gluten is OUT. We'll see how vino and cultured or fermented dairy feel. Coffee is happily black, so no more half and half. 

Carla, I've totally come to enjoy the coffee without the sweetener, too! Although I do add coconut milk - but it definitely does get expensive.

Best of luck with your reintros!!

Side note - I love Maine! Whereabouts are you located? :)

I share your schedules as well! I miss cheese, especially goat cheese, terribly. However, as per the Blood Type Diet, I really should be avoiding diary and grains. I feel better and notice lass bloating so I will probably reintroduce these later, but will try red wine first to gauge my reaction. I didn't even drink much pre W30, but I do enjoy a glass now and then. I'd like to keep eating this way for the most part, and will try sugar soon as well, so I can resume having turkey bacon, occasionally. :)

Adapted well to black coffee, so no more half and half!

I'm pretty sure I should be avoiding dairy, too...but I just want to see for sure. Because - just like you - I reeeeeally miss the goat cheese!! And definitely not planning on reintroducing grains anytime soon (except maybe corn). So we won't be so different at all! More support!! :)

Whoo hoo! Although, it's funny - I'm doing the slow roll reintro, so no big changes for me. Although it will be nice not to worry about added sugar in everything.  I'll still want to avoid it for the most part. But now I can have turkey bacon again. :)

Archived