Hello! Today is my 2nd day

Rebekah Apotre

Hi! I'm Rebekah,

I picked up It Starts With Food after discovering the Whole 9 over at The Clothes Make the Girl (awesome blog if you haven't been over there).

Today is my 2nd day, at first I didn't think I needed to join the forum but yesterday I had a headache most of the day and I started freaking out about making a grocery list. I'm not sure if it's a freak coincidence but I probably had to pee 8 times between yesterday afternoon and this morning ( 3 times during the night, hello granny bladder) and then this morning I can hardly choke down my breakfast. I love breakfast, it's the meal I live for and usually I wake up because I'm super hungry.

I realized that I have a ton of questions about the smallest details and I'll have more day where my body is acting unfamiliar and I'll need some support.

I'm going to keep a log to track food, sleep, exersise and anything else that is relevant.

I'm excited to be here and to "meet" new folks that are in the same boat.

Welcome! The beginning can be tough especially if you are someone who used to eat tons of processed foods, grains, dairy, etc. Sometimes it can be tough even if you didn't. These forums are great! I am on my second Whole 30. Did my first one August 1, 2011. Pretty much never looked back. It's best to read the book before you start, but if you've already jumped in then just carry on. :)

DAY 5!

Just ended day 5. It hasn't been too tough yet. Not allowing myself to think about cheating helps. At work everyone is doing Engine2 ( I work at Whole Foods and that is a huge program that we facilitate through our Heathly Eating Program) so needless to say there are plenty of whole grains, no oil, no dairy, no eggs, no salt ect... I'm enjoying being able to eat meat, eggs and healthy fats. The only thing I haven't been doing is clarified butter- I have time tomorrow to make my own.

my food today:

B- 2 poached eggs over a bed of mixed greens

L- Salmon Burger Round, Cauliflower "mashed Potatoes", apple with two tablespoons of almond butter

Snack- half an avocado

D- Turkey Breast over a bed of mixed greens, sauteed onions and Steamed Brussel Sprouts with olive oil and herbs

I just discovered natural calm which is a Magnesium supplement- it seems awesome and aids sleep. I am a super finicky sleeper with a husband that keeps opposite hours and will stay up late watching Netflix in bed, + two cats. I can't always get the bedroom 100% light free so anything I can do to get good quality sleep means alot for my quality of life. I've been reading alot of Robb Wolf 's writing over on his blog- some great info there for rounding out a healthy lifestyle.

I'll post more tomorrow about the rest of the supplements I take to keep track of those as well.

Welcome! The beginning can be tough especially if you are someone who used to eat tons of processed foods, grains, dairy, etc. Sometimes it can be tough even if you didn't. These forums are great! I am on my second Whole 30. Did my first one August 1, 2011. Pretty much never looked back. It's best to read the book before you start, but if you've already jumped in then just carry on. :)

I read the book, well most of it, I skipped some of it and went straight to the food part. I enjoy the no nonsense approach. I printed out the Meal Planning Map for work and for my fridge. My husband has been trying to eat a bit more like me and I can tell he's definitely watching to see what the results are after 30 Days. I like the forums as a way to keep myself accountable.

Welcome! I'm on day 5, it does help to read here and be surrounded by like minded people.

Thanks for the welcome! I just finished my 5th day. So far I feel great. I do need to branch out and try some different foods. Do you find that you are getting tired of all this cooking?

Thanks for the welcome! I just finished my 5th day. So far I feel great. I do need to branch out and try some different foods. Do you find that you are getting tired of all this cooking?

Actually I'm not, I use a lot of leftovers so that saves my life right there. I do miss the going out to dinner easy aspect. But I find quick mindless things to eat if I'm exhausted. Breakfast for dinner is a fav of our family so that takes little effort. So does lettuce tacos made with my own seasoning blend. Super quick and simple. I have never been a chef & dont enjoy cooking as much as some, but I am getting use to it.

If you're getting sick of it, try making double of whatever you're cooking. I swear it helps a TON!

I agree with wholelottachange. Before I started, i made sure to cook up 2 lbs of bacon, hard-boil a dozen eggs, saute up a mess of green peppers, onions, and mushrooms (separately) and make some mayonnaise. If I can do this once a week, I'm way ahead, especially in the breakfast department, when I can quickly throw together an omelet or frittata because everything but the eggs are already sliced, diced, and cooked. Tonight I'm making a big pot of Thai green curry, which I will portion and freeze for nights when I'm tired, or life is too hectic to cook. Tomorrow night, i plan to make a big pot of Thai red curry, eat some, freeze some, and have lunch for a couple of days.

You can also make a big breakfast bake, or a crustless 'quiche', and freeze that in slices. Or whip up a big pan of taco meat to save for later.

Don't feel like you have to find time to cook every meal at mealtime. It will be much easier to stay on track.

I agree with wholelottachange. Before I started, i made sure to cook up 2 lbs of bacon, hard-boil a dozen eggs, saute up a mess of green peppers, onions, and mushrooms (separately) and make some mayonnaise. If I can do this once a week, I'm way ahead, especially in the breakfast department, when I can quickly throw together an omelet or frittata because everything but the eggs are already sliced, diced, and cooked. Tonight I'm making a big pot of Thai green curry, which I will portion and freeze for nights when I'm tired, or life is too hectic to cook. Tomorrow night, i plan to make a big pot of Thai red curry, eat some, freeze some, and have lunch for a couple of days.

You can also make a big breakfast bake, or a crustless 'quiche', and freeze that in slices. Or whip up a big pan of taco meat to save for later.

Don't feel like you have to find time to cook every meal at mealtime. It will be much easier to stay on track.

I love the idea of left overs- luckily I can eat the same meal 3 to 4 times and not hate it- my husband thinks this is gross :) . I get stuck with meal planning but love the idea of just stocking up on the different elements of meals and then being able to mix and match during the week. I have started cooking double amounts of lunch or dinner to take to work for lunch the next day. I can also buy grass fed pastured meat, eggs and wild caught fish at work and have it made up for me at our Grill so in a pinch I have no excuse to not eat well. I have an on and off relationship with cooking. Right now I love it. But Im waiting for the challenge of finding Whole30 approved foods at a restaurant.

Archived