Reintroduction itchiness?

jm315999

Hello everyone! Looking for some support/information here. I just completed my first Whole30 on 3/15/16. During the program I felt wonderful and so in control/confident in what I was doing.

My first day off plan for reintro I had some Boar's Head Black Forest ham mixed into my eggs and veggies for breakfast. I didn't think much of it, other than some added sugar and possibly carrageenan or sulphites. I had some of this same ham with my lunch. I started noticing that I was feeling itchy in the afternoon, but no rash. Just a skin crawling type of itch that moves around my body (mostly chest, arms, inside my ears?!). That night I also celebrated with half a glass of Cabernet with my otherwise whole30 compliant dinner. When I went to bed I could not stay asleep because of the itching. I've had 2 complete whole30 days since, and I'm still itching. Could three slices of deli ham have caused this? I don't think it's the wine, because I was already having the problem before drinking it. Anyone else experience anything like this?

If it were my body itching, I'd be inclined to suspect sulfites. I am getting ready to start reintroducing and looking here for cautions and inspirations. Good Luck. You might want to tighten up on whether you are adding sugar, sulfites, other additives all at once. 

• Moderators

Both carrageenan or sulphites might cause itching. They irritate the gut. After 30 days of not eating anything that irritates the gut or causes inflammation, your gut sloughs off some of the thick mucosal lining that protects against irritation so that you feel more clearly any irritation when you reintroduce a problem food or ingredient. Your response sounds more severe than I would expect after eating three pieces of ham, but unless you have had environmental exposure to something that is causing the itchiness, the ham and its ingredients are the likely culprit. By the way, sulphites occur natually in wine. We don't worry about the naturally occurring ones in vinegars, just the added ones, but the wine may have offered a smidge more to your sulphite dosing. 

Archived