Allergy issues

I am new to this forum although I am on day 40 of a Whole 60. I started due to constant allergy issues that had almost become debilitating. Although I initially planned only to do a Whole 30, it became clear that another 30 would be a good idea. I have removed eggs, nuts and nightshades as well as all histamine foods. My only slip was pineapple about day 15 not realizing it was a histamine food. The result was waking with abdominal pain and an allergy attack. Very eye opening! I have had lots of sleep problems and now mostly sleep SO well.

My question is that my energy mostly remains low, and every few days I have trouble sleeping again and today allergy symptoms, hot flashes, temper! and fatigue. I feel like a train wreck.

This is going longer than I planned...

I have had years of adrenal issues after 24 years as a paramedic doing shift work. I also was exposed and infected with scabies (so embarrassing) about 4 years ago which I am told has been the culprit behind the histamine response. I could use some encouragement and advice. Is this cyclic symptom thing an indication of detoxing? I have had no improvement of the acne nor do I think that I have lost weight. I am grateful for any help!

• Moderators

It would be helpful if you could list what you've been eating for the last few days including portion sizes and specifics like types of vegetables etc...

As you've said, you have some ongoing and serious medical conditions that are not likely to resolve themselves in 40 days so it's possible that you just need a significant amount of time for your body to heal but list out what you've been eating (and drinking) and we can take a look and see if there are any tweaks.

Thanks for the reply. Generally for breakfast I have 2 sausage patties with 1 granny smith fried apple. I sometimes add a small parsnip. I drink either roobios tea or pao de arco tea.

If I don't have that, I will have leftovers. I have 1-2 palm sized portions of meat/protein with grapes.

For lunch, I often have about 2 cups of salad greens and grilled chicken. I add red cabbage shred, maybe carrots and cucumber. I either have grapes, half an apple or a pear.

Dinner is 1-2 portions of green, either mashed califlower or sweet potato and a side of vegetables, about 1 cup.

I loosely portion.

I drink tea with my meals and have been consuming 1 cup of coffee most days. I drink anywhere from 20-60oz of water. I haven't been as diligent lately with water so I have been increasing my intake the last 2 days.

• Moderators

You are not eating enough and I hazard a guess that you are eating too much fruit.

Your breakfast doesn't have any vegetables or added fat.

Your lunch doesn't look like it has added fat and salad greens when chewed down are almost nothing so it's short on vegetables. No indication of the portion size of chicken but hopefully it's 1-2 the size of your own palm's widthxlengthxthickness.

Your dinner doesn't have any protein?? Also no fat so it looks like you're just eating veg for dinner?

The recommendation of water is 1/2oz per pound of body weight so if you weigh 40-120 pounds, that's about right... if not, you need to seriously increase your water.

It looks like you prioritize fruit over vegetables at least at breakfast, going by what you've written.

Take another look at the meal template and make your meals match three times a day. Especially given your existing medical conditions, you really need to be not skimping on food and hitting those template recommendations.

Oh my goodness! I do eat 1-2 portions of protein at dinner. I must have been daydreaming when I posted this. I also add olive oil to my salads and cook my breakfast in a mix of ghee and olive oil. I think you're right on the fruit though. Probably need to add extra veggies per meal. I do add parsnips to breakfast most days.

Thank you for your help. It seems as if I am eating alot. I will look again at the template.

If you find you're having trouble getting enough veggies, try a week without fruit and you may find you naturally boost up your veggies and can add fruit back in.

Just as a note for your Pau tea, it has a bunch of potential side effects which you might not notice with the number of conditions you have: "severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and internal bleeding." If you don't need to take it, I'd skip it for your 30 days.

Are you getting treatment for your conditions? Any medications?

Fruit is entirely optional :)

Some people find taking a break from fruit helps them adjust to the template better (more veggies).

It's really easy for fruit to push veggies off your plate (especially if you come from a low fat/calorie counting background as so many of us do).

Archived