April 1st!!

Debr

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I discovered the whole30 and paleo after losing my 3 day old son to SIDS. It was kind of a knee jerk reaction to find every way possible to be as healthy as possible, but to be honest, it totally turned our lives around. Not only do we now have "dietary" peace but we also have emotional peace. I've been able to completely quit all of my medications and we've even lost some weight! It's a truly amazing lifestyle. So that's my story.

Collice, I'm so sorry about your son. I can't imagine going through something like that. Big hugs to you. I'm glad the W30 has given you some peace.

Hi,

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ.  One piece of advice is to not go crazy on our eating prior to starting this Friday.  Makes it three times as hard to slay the Sugar Dragon, the alcohol assassin, or the carb crazies.  Just sayn.  I support all you wonderful women and look forward to hearing from you during this Whole30.

CMOE

Thanks hilarypaige. It's so great to find all of y'all on this thread. It will be a lot of fun to do it all together. I'm very excited to do it all over again and to, this time, have folks to celebrate and lament with. Good luck to all and I can't wait to get this rolling with y'all!

Yes! April 1st here we come!

I have had the book for awhile & have been executing things slowly the past week(besides the 8 mini peanut butter cups I ate last night oops) and am so excited for this journey.

I have been struggling with my weight since college and am so excited to see some results. I will be incorporating this with going to the gym each day & really pushing myself to make those big changes in my diet. I have had some bad cases of the cold, sleepiness and just sluggishness for awhile and I've realized no one is going to change me except for me. I'm looking forward to all this with all of you. Let's keep each other accountable!

I've got a big ol pot of green broth working on the stovetop to make creamy broccoli soup(with coconut milk and shredded carrot) for lunches as we begin this journey Friday. Plus I'm thawing a turkey breast for a whole30 dinner tonight so I can use the carcass to make more soup, maybe a turkey veggie soup. I'm terribly excited and want to make this whole30 a sort of whole-lifetime. We feel so much better when we eat and live this way.

I know some of y'all have already stated but where are y'all from? I'm down south in Jackson, Mississippi. I think I may be the only person from mississippi doing this! Hahaha!

I'm living in Papua New Guinea (and for those wondering, which most people do, that's just north of Australia, not in Africa :D ), but we lived in Tupelo, MS for 7 years before we moved here.

I think the biggest thing I am getting nervous about is availability of things here. We have a store in our ex-pat community, but it can run out of things, because PNG is "The Land of the Unexpected." Yesterday, no eggs :wacko:  Hopefully they will be back in stock before Thursday. Even pre-Whole30, we go through around a case a week (9 dozen). We have a local market 3 days a week, but my husband is the market shopper. If he forgets to go one morning, or is running too late, no veggies, and no way to get them. I think I'm going to have to intentionally keep a little more on hand than I think I'll need to try to compensate for those times, which are sure to happen.

I also don't normally freeze or blanche any of our market veggies, just cook them up from fresh, but I might need to put some things up "just in case."

Does anyone else live somewhere without a 24-hour Wal-Mart? ;)

I live in an area with a 24 hr Walmart and a pretty decent grocery store but I'm on a 3 year boycott of Walmart and my grocery doesn't really "cater" to the whole30 lifestyle, more to weight watchers and fad diets. They do however carry basic unadulterated ingredients and they even have the whole30 books, so I just process everything myself. It's easier that way anyway, I know exactly what goes in our food. Does anyone ever play the grocery store game where you find yourself eyeballing other folks carts and wondering what on earth they eat? Haha, guilty! I'm a stay at home mom so creating and inventing in the kitchen is fun for me.

Hi, all, 

I am going to unsubscribe from this forum. Just because it's getting so big and it's a little too much for me to stay on top of with everything else I have going on… I literally received 22 emails in one day on this forum alone. I am also going to try to limit my screen time because since taking on the directorship at the clinic I where I work my day has gotten 5 times longer with all the extra paperwork that has to get done. At this point I am up to working like 60 hours a week and that leaves very little time to shop, cook, prepare, plan, run, do yoga, meditate, spend time with my family, and keep up on house chores! The modern day women, eh?! Anyway, I just want you all to know that I am cheering for you all and I will check back in from time to time to see how you are all doing. Your support is tremendous! If I feel myself needing that extra bit of encouragement I will definitely log on again and post on here. Good Luck to you all!!!

I'm in for April 1st. I tried to start Monday but then I started reading the Whole 30 book and realized I was missing some things, plus i needed more recipes.  So I am down for April 1st.  I have lots of meat and am ready to do this.  I'm already doing a get fit program at work so I'm successfully working out at least 60 minutes a day x5 but I know it won't matter if I don't eat better.  We all know losing weight is 90 percent what you eat so I'm hoping this program will help!

• Moderators

It was super easy. Took a total of roughly 5 mins. I used salted butter since I plan on not using any additional salt in my meals, placed it in a deep sauce pan and left it on min until it melted and started a slight boil then I poured the 'butter' off the milk fat into a butter dish and that was it. It was honestly a lot easier than I had anticipated.

With the removal of processed and packaged products, you're likely removing the majority of the salt in your food. Salt is actually a necessary item for your body so we do recommend that you salt your meals. If you don't and you're eating meats, veg and fat, you will become sodium deficient and can experience headaches, blood pressure problems etc... Just something to watch out for :)

Read this today and made it think of what we are about to do :)

"There is a huge difference between wanting to change and being willing to change. Almost everyone wants to change for the better. Very few are willing to take the steps necessary to create that change."

Meanwhile, I'm praying our store gets eggs and mince (ground beef) back in stock before tomorrow!

Read this today and made it think of what we are about to do :)

"There is a huge difference between wanting to change and being willing to change. Almost everyone wants to change for the better. Very few are willing to take the steps necessary to create that change."

Meanwhile, I'm praying our store gets eggs and mince (ground beef) back in stock before tomorrow!

Thank you so much for the inspirational quote! And I hope your store stocks up soon!

Hi everyone! I'm starting my first Whole 30 on April 1st as well. I'm from Denver and I just turned 53 years old. I've been obese most of my adult life. About three years ago I became suddenly ill and was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and was in septic shock. I suffered repeated episodes over several months and ended up in the ER every few weeks.

I kept asking the doctors if my diet was causing this and was told ' no ' by every doctor I asked. I had surgery that was supposed to remove the damaged portion of my colon but when they opened me up, my entire colon was bad. Luckily the surgeon did not remove it. He closed me up and I was put on $1000/month Lialda prescription. I continued to be sick even with the drugs and I continued to ask about diet. Was still told no.

Luckily my sister had me read Wheat Belly. FINALLY, something that made sense! So I went gluten free then found the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that saved my life.

Went off the meds and never had another ER visit. Dropped the doctors that don't understand the power of food. Have been doing mostly paleo now but need to refocus. I'm so excited to start this journey with you all!

Prepping things for tomorrow, and I decided to try mayo. I did it on my last Whole30 in my blender (a different blender than the one I own now), and it was perfectly simple.

This time, all seemed to be going well, the mayo emulsified almost immediately.... And then I started to smell something, and my blender completely overheated and is probably dead. :o Had to throw that batch out, as it had little bits of melted... something.

I decided to give it another shot with a whisk, because I couldn't see ending the night with a ruined blender AND no mayo. it worked like a charm with the whisk, and took about 5 minutes.

So, let this be a cautionary tale, and a voice of encouragement. Homemade mayo is totally doable. But be careful with your blenders!

I bought italian hot sausage yesterday for my fiancee, the ingredients are Pork, water, seasonings, (salt dextrose, lemon extract, spice extractives, sodium lactate).  Is this safe for me?  I don't see msg, sulfates, or carageenans but I'm still not sure because of the dextrose.  I read in the whole 30 book that salt has dextrose in it and salt is acceptable?

I am starting whole 30 on april first and I have been eating like crap since I know I wont be able to have any of it for 30 days! I am nervous I will be detoxing the entire 30 days and wont even start to feel good until the very end of the plan? does anyone else have experience with this?

Hi everyone! I am starting my first Whole30 tomorrow and I am excited! I have been mostly Paleo (while flirting with the Autoimmune Protocol) since July, 2015. I developed joint inflammation and pain last year; however all tests came back negative (except for an elevated SED rate). I have pretty much eliminated all swelling and pain through dietary changes; however, sugar is my trigger and also the toughest thing for me to avoid. I have slipped some over the last month (spring break and Easter) and decided doing a Whole30 would help me get back on track. I am excited about this journey and look forward to hearing how it is going for everyone else! 

Archived