Coming down with a cold

Ugh. I'm on day 14 (almost halfway!!) and in general I feel like I'm doing well. I had gotten past the headachy stage, was feeling a bit more energetic, making great food choices, etc. My teenage son had a particularly nasty cold virus earlier in the week and my headache, low energy, and scratchy throat this morning tell me I think I'm coming down with it now.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this...I guess I just feel crappy today and it's making me discouraged. I already ate decently clean paleo before this...the main changes for me have been removing dairy, and absolutely filtering out any little bits of sugar and bad oils that I may have been having before. I guess I was hoping that in addition to helping with weight loss (which I'm actually thinking is working), that I would improve my immune system and allergies. I tend to have low level nasal congestion most of the time (worse in the spring and fall), which I know has to do with allergies. I was hoping the elimination of dairy would help, but my allergies don't really seem any better. Also, I'm the type that tends to catch every little bug that I'm exposed to, and I was hoping I would see improvement in that too. I guess I'm expecting too much out of two weeks of ultra clean paleo, but I was already pretty clean and restrictive before, and I've been a regular exerciser for years. I also know that two departments I really need to work on are sleep (rarely get more than 6 to 6.5 hours), and stress levels (small business owner + busy mom).

Thanks for letting me whine. Again, I'm not really sure what drove me to post. Maybe I just needed a bit of encouragement.

Feeling better today. No cold after all! Who knows what the headaches and achy feelings were from. I also read that ragweed season (which is my toughest allergy season) is super-duper bad this year (maybe because of the drought?) and my symptoms are not worse than usual...so maybe eating clean is helping my allergies a bit after all :)

Archived