Feeling REALLY sick post Whole30. Help!

Chelsa

I did my first round of Whole30 perfectly and did amazing on it. However, I did horrible on the 10 days post W30 regarding reintroduction because my birthday was a couple days after I finished and then I had a trip coming up with coworkers. On my birthday the only really bad thing I had was wine and a couple bites of dessert. I think I overdid it on the wine and didn't feel so great the next day. A few days later I had (please don't judge) about 5 beers, a glass of wine, half a sandwich, and some candy and felt awful for 2 days. A week after that I went to Chicago with coworkers and really let my guard down and had lots of dairy and gluten and other alcohol for the first time. I've never been sicker. My stomach is waging a war on me. I'm 5 days into round 2 of the W30 and I'm still not back to my normal self. Is this normal? Will it go away? Are these side effects due to poor reintroduction or should I be seeing a doctor? Help! :(

• Moderators

It could be the things you ate, certainly some people have reactions to gluten and dairy that last for several days, but if your symptoms are strong enough to interfere with your daily life, or if it continues for several more days, it might be worth checking in with your doctor, just to be sure. None of us here is really qualified to answer that.

Do remember this feeling at the end of this W30, to help you remember why you want to schedule your reintroductions carefully and treat that part of your Whole30 as just as important as the first 30 days. 

I hope you feel better soon.

You may want to talk to your doctor about celiac testing.

It takes me much longer than a few days to recover from gluten, but you've had a lot of different things so you can't identify the cause, it could be alcohol, sugar or other things. Personally I also get a stronger reaction to gluten if I also have it with dairy.

Look after yourself, get plenty of rest, liquids. Magnesium and Vitamin C may help you feel better but food sensitivities just take time to recover, the body needs to clean it out and repair any damage.

I know it doesn't feel positive at the moment, but it does sound like you have a food sensitivity from something post-W30, so once you find out what it is, you're bound to be feeling a lot better :)

For what it's worth, I'm not a celiac, but gluten affects me for at least a week every time I eat it (it's not always as bad when I eat a small amount with some other food, but if I eat half a piece of regular bread or something? Done). Stomach pains, breaking out, mental fog, bloating, depression... It gradually gets better, but it takes a while. I would definitely say it's worth looking into for you!

Not a judgment Chelsea, just a comment from my own experience. When I went off gluten five years ago per medical advice, I discovered that drinking one beer was like eating a loaf of bread when it comes to gluten. So consider that you overloaded your system with beer as a liquid gluten delivery system. If that is your culprit, it may take a while. Good luck on your next Whole 30. I hope you feel better quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived