Gluten free beer and stomach cramps

Riss05

Two days ago was my 31st day of Whole 30. So, I started my reintroduction with gluten free beer. Now, two days later my stomach is really cramping. Last night I ate ribs at home, and am wondering if that could have been the cause instead. The rub included some sugar which I had not had in the past, but everything else was Whole 30. Has anyone had similar results from either sugar or GF Beer.

In Australia we are receiving a lot of warnings recently from the Australian Coeliac association about gluten free beers.

Some new beers will pass testing but cause serious reactions due to the way they are made (it sort of chops the gluten up small enough so it's not detected in standard food tests, but the gluten isn't really removed) as we have had people ending up in hospital from them. If it's not that style it could just be the ingredients. If it's made from wheat you could have a reaction to the wheat, even without gluten. The brewer should be able to advise of the ingredients and it's worth checking if they are actually certified gluten free.

I would make a note of the brand of gluten free beer and avoid it in future.

Archived