Water at meals

saogden

• Moderators

I think what they're referring to is that water could dilute stomach acid and make it harder for your food to digest. I could be wrong, but I've always interpreted it more as, don't drink a whole bunch of water right before, during, and after meals, not that you can't drink any, or that you should drink something else instead. 

• Moderators

Definitely drink water. Nothing is better. 

Personally, I drink only enough water while eating to be comfortable and then I drink one or two glasses of water after I finish eating. My theory is that the chewed food has a head start into the digestion process and I can afford sending water after it because the stomach acid has already had a good chance to get started. It works for me. 

Thank you both.  I read in one of books, water at meals dilutes what little bile you have if you don't have a gallbladder, which I don't.  I drink either ice tea or water at meals, not a lot, most times less than half the glass and usually finish it after dinner.  I do take blood pressure medication which causes dry mouth.  This has gotten much worse since starting the program.  I'm trying coconut water and club soda.  Not really fond of either but giving it a shot.

One last thing.  I assumed decaf tea and coffee were not part of the program, is that incorrect.  I find coffee to be very bitter and causes even more dry mouth.  Decaf is less bitter.  We have been using decaf tea for years because of my husband.

If you have any other suggestions, I appreciate the info.

Decaf tea & coffee are both fine for Whole30 purposes.

Coconut water is just like a light fruit juice & we'd really only recommend it for endurance athletes or those who are prone to dehydration in their working environment.

I like seltzer with some freshly squeezed lime, or sliced fruit, or even cucumber & mint. Herbal/fruit teas are also a good option, although be sure to read the labels for any off plan ingredients. And then there's kombucha which has great probiotic properties & really cleanses the palette.

Archived