Can't get out of bed in the morning

I'm on my second round of Whole30 (Day 17) after a failed re-introduction period during my January Whole30. I was eating about 50/50 Whole30 vs. what I used to eat after R1, so decided it would be helpful to do the program over for re-introduction and the fact I still need to work on my relationship with food. I'm planning on going for longer than 30 days this round, possibly up to 90 days.

I felt amazing during my first round, better than I ever have. More energy, easy to get up in the morning, my mid was clearer, many NSVs. Anyway, I've noticed over the past month or so (starting just before my second round or so) getting up in the morning is nearly impossible. I usually wake up at 5am to do Crossfit at 6am before I head to work for the day and I do that 4-5 mornings a week. But recently it has gotten harder and harder to get up so I haven't been going to the gym as much, last week not at all. Waking up very early to go to the gym has never been a problem for me once I started this routine over a year ago. Even "sleeping in" until 6:30 and going straight to work is a struggle. But once I'm up and moving, I feel great and have consistent energy all day, no more afternoon slump.

I follow the meal template very closely, very rarely snack between meals, drink about 90oz of water a day, my only caffeine is a cup of green or black tea when I get to work at 8. I'm in bed early every night since I get up so early, and I've even been trying to get more sleep so I can stick to my routine, but nothing seems to be making it any easier get to out of bed in the morning. I should also mention my schedule doesn't allow me to workout in the evenings.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thinking back to It Starts With Food and wondering if my hormones rebalancing are playing into this at all? But if that were the case I'd think it would be getting easier to wake up early, not harder?! Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

Hey there

Although you say you are following the meal template, and not snacking between meals it would be helpful to know what exactly you are eating so as we are better equipped to help you troubleshoot - can you give us a run down of what you have eaten over the past few days with specifics on portion sizes & types of vegetables...?

Quick rundown of my average meal template:

If I'm going to the gym, a handful of almonds and maybe some chicken for Pre-WO. Post-WO is usually some chicken and sweet potato or RXbar depending (I sometimes have a hard time with meat in the morning). Breakfast is usually when I get to the office at 8 either a frittata full of veggies (broccoli, peppers, potato, sometimes sausage, with coconut milk for fat) or chicken/turkey with roasted veggies and half an avocado. Lunch (usually 12:30ish) and dinner (6ish) both consist of some sort of large veggie serving (broccoli, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, etc.) and the recommended palm size of meat (chicken, turkey or steak) plus a half an avocado or olives for fat. I usually have an herbal tea or small glass of kombucha sometime in the evening. I've also been taking Natural Calm magnesium right before bed because I sleep very restlessly and the magnesium has helped a lot with that. Not sure if that could play into my morning situation, but I've been taking that before I was struggling to get up in the morning.

Nothing about your meals really jumps out at me (unless you maybe could do with more than one palm sized piece of protein per meal?), and I wouldn't imagine the natural calm would make you unable to get up in the mornings...

How many hours of sleep are you actually getting?

And how are your current stress levels?

I wear a Fitbit that tracks my sleep, so I usually get between 6.5-7.5 hrs/night sometimes with as much as an hour of restless sleep each night. So I could be in bed for 8-9hrs a night, but only get 7 hours of quality sleep. The magnesium has helped a lot and cut my restless sleep in half most nights.

I have had more stress than usual recently with my job and a family situation, but I think I've finally gotten that stress under control.

I wear a Fitbit that tracks my sleep, so I usually get between 6.5-7.5 hrs/night sometimes with as much as an hour of restless sleep each night. So I could be in bed for 8-9hrs a night, but only get 7 hours of quality sleep. The magnesium has helped a lot and cut my restless sleep in half most nights.

I have had more stress than usual recently with my job and a family situation, but I think I've finally gotten that stress under control.

Do you practice good sleep hygiene?

You might want to have a read at these articles to see if there is anything you could be doing to help:

http://whole9life.com/2015/04/mental-health-sleep-1/

http://whole9life.com/2015/05/sleep-advanced-tips/

• Moderators

I had it checked about a year ago and it was normal. But with a long family history of hypothyroidism on both sides of my family, and still having related symptoms, I was thinking of getting it checked again.

It's a good idea. Women are especially susceptible to even subtle changes in levels.

And sometimes there's the perfect storm of your body working hard to make shifts and adjustments to new ways of eating, time changes, season changes . . . and it just needs rest. I've been through a period during which I've taken a break from hard workouts and taken long walks instead and I've needed 12-13 hours a night to feel rested! It's partly been a need for adjustment in my thyroid meds, and it's partly other stuff. Be flexible, be responsive, and remember our bodies are not machines. They're complex and sometimes more unpredictable and more susceptible to more moving parts than we'd like to admit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to revisit this with and update. I saw my GP and got some blood tests done. Came back with a severe vitamin D deficiency which caused the fatigue. Already feeling better with a prescription supplement. Also some elevated thyroid antibodies, pointing to possible Hashimoto's. I won't see the endocrinologist until next month to confirm. 

Thanks again for you insights and suggestions!

Archived