Fatigue - Sufficient fat intake?

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your help.

This is day 14 of my first Whole30.  I have been feeling so fatigued and weak.  Even the phone feels too heavy.  Another minor issue is the bad taste in my mouth and I'm SO thirsty.  I drink at least 60 oz water per day.

I am wondering if I am not eating enough fat to give me energy or protein.   I am small boned, 5'5" and 120lbs (at the start), 50 years old.  Goal was to reduce inflammation issues: tendonitis, bursitis, sinus congestion, and these mysterious red dots under my eyes. 

If I don't have a lot of body fat and don't take enough in, would that cause the fatigue?

If I cook potatoes in butter and meat in oil, is that then enough fat for a meal?

If I eat a hard boiled egg, does that have enough fat within it to cover the fat requirement?

A thin-cut pork chop can be palm sized but so can a filet minion that is 2" thick.  I'm really not sure how much meat to eat.   I started out eating bigger portions but after re-reading  the template and in the forums about bad taste in the mouth I increased starchy veggies and decreased protein.  I have been hungry and snacking between meals.  In the first week when I was eating more meat I was able to make it without snacking and loved that freedom.  Typically I am a grazer (which I was told was a good thing once upon a time) but I find it annoying to have to always have food with me or have to stop to go get a snack.

Here are some examples of what I've been eating:

Day 12:

7:30 Ginger tea w lime
Breakfast: One fried egg, sweet potato & onion hash, sausage pattie, snap peas
snack: handful of cashews
Lunch 11:30 chicken hoisin on salad (about 3/4 C chicken)
snack: apple w 2 tbs almond butter
Dinner:Pork Chop (1/2”) broccoli, sweet potato , handful of blueberries

Day 11:

6:30: hb egg
Breakfast/pwo: two fried eggs, cashews
Pwo: sweet potato  (1 whole) and pork sausage (~3" pattie)
Lunch: chicken hoisin  (3/4 C) lettuce wrap w snap peas
Snack: Apple w almond butter (2 TBS)
Dinner: steak (~4oz), tossed salad w balsamic, kale w prosciutto(sauteed in butter)
Snack: handful blueberries, 1 slice apple w dip of almond butter

Day 9:

Breakfast: two eggs over spinach (1 C sauteed)
Lunch:green goddess soup (1 C) w potato(1/4c), chocolate chili(1 Cup) with squash (~1/4 C)
Snack: Apple w almond butter, Rxbar
Dinner: shepherds pie(compliant - 1/5 of 9" pie pan),salad w balsamic
Snack:pistachios w raisins

I really appreciate your assistance! :)

It is not really a surprise that you are hungry and tired.  You are not eating enough.

A portion size of protein is the length X width X depth of YOUR palm.  For me personally it is 4"x 5" x 2" (I am 5'9" and have a large bone structure)

For eggs it is as many as you can hold in one hand - for most ladies that is 3 to 4.  Personally I have realized over time that eggs don't fill me up long enough - so yes continue to mix your proteins - just eat more.

Cooking fat very often gets left behind in the pan, unless you make it a point of scraping it onto your plate.  Feel free to add additional fat to your plate.  It is what will help you feel full.  The goal is to be able to go 4 to 5 hours between meals without snacking.  Fat will help you do this.

A note on butter - are you using clarified butter?  As just regular butter is not compliant as it still contains milk fats.

Snacks of fruits and nuts are not ideal as they keep your sugar dragon alive an well.  If you need a snack - go for protein, fat and veggies - or at least 2 out of those 3.  Also note that nuts are notoriously hard on digestive systems.  So it's a very good idea to limit them to one closed handful every other day.

Oh, thank you.  I will increase the portion size of proteins as well as fats.  I just stopped when  I wasn't hungry any more but I could eat bigger portions without getting over stuffed.

I am using clarified butter.  (That was super cool to do.)

I knew the fruits weren't a great snack.  If I eat nuts alone will they feed the sugar dragon?  Aren't they just protein and fat? I agree about the difficulty digesting nuts though.  The Rxbars are just for emergencies, right?  Hopefully I will need fewer snacks but can you point me to suggestions for portable snacks when celery sticks won't do; when I'm HUNGRY?   There must be a list somewhere...

Oh, thank you.  I will increase the portion size of proteins as well as fats.  I just stopped when  I wasn't hungry any more but I could eat bigger portions without getting over stuffed.

I am using clarified butter.  (That was super cool to do.)

I knew the fruits weren't a great snack.  If I eat nuts alone will they feed the sugar dragon?  Aren't they just protein and fat? I agree about the difficulty digesting nuts though.  The Rxbars are just for emergencies, right?  Hopefully I will need fewer snacks but can you point me to suggestions for portable snacks when celery sticks won't do; when I'm HUNGRY?   There must be a list somewhere...

There isn't a list anywhere because we want you to try & learn to build your meals to be big enough so as to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs without the need to snack - and if you can make it this long you can generally make it another hour or so (and sometimes longer) before you really need to eat.

Portable options would be something like hard boiled eggs, pouches of olives, beej jerk, cherry tomatoes, cucumber which you can literally chew on like an apple....

If you can plan to snack, you can plan to have real food  ;)

Archived