Supplements Whole30 Compliant

Raya44

Hi!  I am new to Whole30.  Right now, I want to take someone's head off, but that is a different story.  Wondering if anyone has found a brand of supplements or vitamins that are Whole30 compliant?  Almost every single one of my vitamins has soy or some form of sugar.  I am directed by my doctor to be on Vitamin D and Magnesium, but I also take Acidophilus, Biotin, Folic Acid, B12 (this one appears to be compliant) and Omegas/Fish Oil.  Help!  The Vitamin D, Mag and Acidophilus are my biggest concerns.  I could look into a multivitamin but need to watch the Vitamin A.

Thank you in advance!

• Moderators

I've moved this to the Supplement section of the forum, since it seems to fit better here.

For magnesium, a lot of people take Natural Calm (the unflavored variety, none of the flavored ones are okay), which is a powder you dissolve in water to take. There are other options too, but I know that one is compliant.

For Vitamin D, I can't remember what brand it was, but google Vitamin D in coconut oil, I did find one that didn't have a bunch of other stuff.

For any of it, you really are just going to have to research and read labels to find ones that work.

For the probiotics (the acidophilus), you could look into adding probiotic foods like raw sauerkraut or kimchi or other fermented vegetables. 

For the fish oil, ideally, you'd eat salmon or other fatty fish a few times a week, but if you want a supplement, I know there's at least one brand listed on the Whole30 Approved page. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

What do you mean by you could not find 'it' anywhere?  What you read or the actual product?  I just googled the product and many online stores and their website came up. As far as the recommended dose, that would be on the bottle or determined in discussion with your doctor and the brand IS Pure Encapsulation so not sure what other brands you're referring to.

You'll have to read the label on whatever the item is that you want to purchase/consume to see if it has anything non compliant... 

• 4 months later...

I'm contemplating adding the Magnesium to my diet due to leg cramps. (r4D9).  I'm seeing so many words like ionic, chelated, bisglycinate, aspartate/citrate, etc., in the product descriptions that my head is spinning.  Rather than learn a whole new language, I'm wondering which of these versions of magnesium is for me?

Also, others have mentioned starting with a low dose.  What is considered a low dose? Many of the products are 10 mg or 50 mg. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Connie Leigh said:

I'm contemplating adding the Magnesium to my diet due to leg cramps. (r4D9).  I'm seeing so many words like ionic, chelated, bisglycinate, aspartate/citrate, etc., in the product descriptions that my head is spinning.  Rather than learn a whole new language, I'm wondering which of these versions of magnesium is for me?

Also, others have mentioned starting with a low dose.  What is considered a low dose? Many of the products are 10 mg or 50 mg. 

Unfortunately it's not for us on the internet to say what kind of magnesium 'you' should take... I think it's just going to take some research of what each of the words means and what a person with leg cramps would most benefit from and then start there and see if it works and change up as necessary.  Learning a 'whole new language' of something can be an undertaking but being educated on what one puts in their body is important; someone just telling you what to take without you knowing why or the rationale behind it is not the best approach.  

What I can tell you is that a lot of people take Natural Calm which is a powder version (the plain one is compliant).  Most people are magnesium deficient due to farming practices (farms used to let their land lay fallow but that's pretty much a thing of the past so all soil is depleted...) so its definitely not going to hurt you.  The thing about magnesium tho is that it draws fluids into your bowels... that's great for constipation but too much can cause the opposite effect which is why they say to start with a low dose and titrate up until you're comfortable... For specific dosing and guidance on what to do, you'd probably want to talk to your doctor.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Whole30baby said:

The condescending way SugarcubeOD responds to comments makes me want to quit this diet

Sorry you feel that way.  It is 100% my intention to give people information to help themselves.  One person can't respond to everyone's posts in the way that they would prefer, we are volunteers and humans with personalities... we also respond to dozens and dozens of posts per day on our own time as a service to this community and sometimes getting the information out is prioritized over a lot of fluff.  If you can point out what about the above posts you feel is condescening, perhaps I can make a change, but I re-read my own posts and while they might be a bit lacking in fluff, I dont see where they're condescending.

Thanks!

Actually SugarcubeOD, I too didn't feel that your response was very helpful or friendly. I think I would consider it mildly condescending. 

As for my original post, I know that this is NOT medical advice and I was not seeking that.  Just looking for others' experiences or tips.  It's okay for you to not have the answers  but maybe tell me where you might go to find it.

I acknoledge and appreciate the time and effort you take to participate

• Moderators

How could she have changed that response that would have made it better for you?

If you want to know what all of those types of magnesium are, you'll want to look them up and read about them. If I were looking, I'd start by googling them, or googling something like "types of magnesium" to see if I could get a chart that listed some of the basic differences and narrowed down the options for me a little. If you've done that and still aren't sure, you could consult your doctor or a trusted pharmacist. SugarcubeOD did mention a brand that many people take and that should be readily available either online or at a local health food store if you have one near you. If you're at the point where you feel you've researched everything you can possibly stand to research, you could start with that brand and see how it works for you. If it helps, great. If not, you'll have to do some more research, but you'll have narrowed it down some, since you'll know that type of magnesium doesn't work for you.

For dosages, first, start by reading the label of whatever brand you decide to take and see if they say anything about a good starting dose. If all they list is just a regular recommended dose, I'd start with not more than half of that for a few days and see how you go. If you don't have any digestive upset, you can increase the dose. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Connie Leigh said:

Actually SugarcubeOD, I too didn't feel that your response was very helpful or friendly. I think I would consider it mildly condescending. 

As for my original post, I know that this is NOT medical advice and I was not seeking that.  Just looking for others' experiences or tips.  It's okay for you to not have the answers  but maybe tell me where you might go to find it.

I acknoledge and appreciate the time and effort you take to participate

I'm sorry that you felt that I was not friendly.  The thing is, I could have done the research for you in what each individual magnesium supplement is better used for... for instance: 

What is better, magnesium citrte or magnesium oxide?  This is Mg bonded to citric acid, which increases the rate of absorption. Citrate is a larger molecule than the simple oxygen of oxide, so there is less magnesium by weight than in the oxide form. This is the most commonly used form in laxative preparations.Jun 23, 2014

Chelated means that Magnesium is bonded with another molecule because you cannot take magnesium on its own, it is not stable.

My point was that if you want to know what the best form of a supplement is for your own personal needs, you need to do the research... me learning the difference between all the different ones and then reporting back for you is not going to be as valuable a learning process as YOU learning the difference... 

You didn't ask where to go to get the information or for tips or experiences, you asked for what is the best magnesium for leg cramps and what the dose would be because you didn't feel like 'learning a whole new language'.  That puts the onus on the particpants of the forum and the moderators to do the research and background work for you.

Here are some articles on what the different terms for Magnesium mean... 

http://peoplesrx.com/the-best-kind-of-magnesium-for-you/

http://www.aor.ca/en/blog-details/understanding-different-types-of-magnesium

I hope this is more helpful to you to jump start your research into what is the best version for your particular context.

I"m sorry you felt I was not friendly... sometimes information is information... 

I may be banned after this but that's a risk I'm willing to take:

I joined this forum over a month ago when I first started Whole30 so that I could get quick answers to questions without having to pull out my book. I haven't posted anything because I've been able to find everything I need by searching the forum and google. I will say that 75% of the people that are active on this forum couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. "Can we have corn?" No, it's in the book. "Is this processed jug of liquid compliant (even though it clearly states cane sugar on the label that I attached a picture of)?" No, it has sugar, which is clearly stated on the label that you attached a picture of. "I didn't lose any weight. I only cheated 8 times. I'm sad." It's not for weight loss. "I'm going to quit this diet because you're mean to me." You're an idiot (I also think you're the "oversensitive" poster who threatened to quit the "diet" when SugarcubeOD moved your non-Whole30 Whole30 log to another section but that's just me being hopeful that there's not two of you). 

These moderators are saints. I would be cussing people left and right (I've actually done it in my head a few times). So, to the moderators - you don't have to apologize for anything. I want to apologize on behalf of the people that are lazy, don't like to find out answers on their own and expect you to spoon feed them. Some of us really do appreciate you and your straight forward answers.  

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Whole30baby said:

Another cheery response from sugarcube. 

People are coming here for tips, not to be lectured. If someone is looking for help or has a question they shouldn't get a response from the moderator that says "look it up" or "do your own research" 

Why should people not be encouraged to do their own research?  Why do you feel that someone should come to the forum and say 'I don't want to learn about this, look it up for me' and then have a volunteer do the same research the participant is fully capable of?

• 2 months later...

Thank you SugarcubeOD for reminding me that my Whole 30 journey is my own. If I don’t take the time to research some of this on my own, I wouldn’t be able to go beyond the 30 days. Thank you for your not “sugar coating “ your answers. God bless!

I am pretty new to Whole30 and I didnt find anything offensive in SugarcubeOD's responses. I appreciate the share of information. I have been working with my doctor because of a magnesium deficiency. The reality is, a medical professional should help you assess your magnesium needs and will help you determine appropriate dosage. My doctor helped me find a dosage that works based on how deficient I was in magnesium. The information in the forums and on the internet should not be your only source if you really want optimal health.

Archived