Eggs hurt my stomach starting on Day 20?

Hi

I have been on the Whole 30 for 23 days now and starting on Day 20 my breakfast has started to really upset my stomach. I REALLY like this breakfast so I've been having it for most of the time on the Whole30.

Its in the cookbook: three eggs with salsa and an avocado. (and sometimes a banana)

The last 3 days its REALLY made my stomach upset. 
I looked up FODMAPS and read up on it, but nothing else that seems to be a FODMAP has hurt my stomach. Its specifically this meal. 

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Also, anyone have any other breakfast ideas? I think tomorrow I'll try an egg with mashed sweet potato. ..

• Moderators

Repeating the same foods day after day without variety can actually create problems with those very foods. Try something else--try many something elses--and see how you do. Personally, I try not to eat the same foods for more than two or three days at a time for this very reason. Plus, it helps increase variety, which helps make sure you're getting all the right things, not just a lot of some right things. Make sense?

The first time I tried (and failed) at Whole30 this was pretty close to the same reason for me.  TMI Warning - I had the WORST GAS!  I could have stopped traffic!

This time I'm being very careful not to eat the same thing every day.  I'm pretty sure for me it was the surplus of eggs, I was doing very similar to what you're doing.  My alternates include just sweet potato with avocado, and sometimes I like an apple with nut butter.  I also bought some hamburgered pork that I added my own seasonings to for sausage.... On the weekends when I know I have more time I've been trying lots of different things.  I'm not one who needs "breakfast food" so it works well for me to just eat a lunch style chicken salad wrap or something too.  

Good Luck!  

My husband and I alternate between eggs one morning and Aidells chicken & apple sausage the next morning. We sauté the sausages in some ghee to get it a little crispy and then dip it in homemade mayo. Yum! Whether we are making eggs or sausage, we make frozen veggies in the microwave -- carrots, green beans, and any mixes that do not include corn or lima beans or anything else noncompliant. We put coconut oil on top of the veggies. If you haven't tried it yet, add some of Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom Powder to scrambled eggs. On the weekend, we might do something fancier like the crispy kale and eggs dish from A Calculated Whisk: http://acalculatedwhisk.com/sweet-potato-crispy-kale-breakfast/

Thanks for the ideas! 

Weird thing is, last night and this morning I have a headache. First headache in over a month. What is happening!?

Today I had chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and a banana with almond butter. So far so good.

It makes total sense that eating the same breakfast everyday and upsets my stomach. I just REALLY like that breakfast. 

Bananas have never upset my stomach but perhaps I can do a different variety of food with my eggs. 

I'll try all your suggestions and it should be a good variety for the rest of the Whole30 (And beyond!)

Archived