Starting On March 28th!

Angela82

I am starting the Whole30 on Monday! I am a HUGE sugar addict! Any tips on avoiding this? I usually use gum, but that is not allowed. 

Also, I can go all day eating healthy and keeping myself in check, but the second I get home, I can eat the entire refrigerator! Any suggestions on why this is or how to keep that at bay during the whole30? 

Thanks in advance for all your support!

Angela

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way to kill the sugar dragon is to not feed it. So focus on savory foods especially when you have a sugar craving. This takes some discipline but its definitely doable.

On the eating all the things. This is usually a response to not eating enough at least for me. When I focus on restriction and my willpower fades and my stress gets the better of me I eat all the things. Focus on eating 3 template meals a day, feeling satisfied for 4-5 hours between meals, and focusing on all the foods you can have not on the ones you can't will go a long way in combating this. I will say the biggest thing that this style of eating has done for me is reduced my binge eating tendencies about 99% 

You can do it!

I am starting the 28th as well. For me its been the binge eating. I barely eat breakfast, barely sleep anymore, and when I get home I just stuff my face.  I also find myself mindlessly drinking coffee at work all day which is probably part of why my sleep is off.  

I just need to get back to feeling normal and eating well balanced meals.  

Good luck to all. I'm really hoping to reset my system. I'm really tired of catching cold and feeling tired.

I'm a bit concerned about the cost. I think if I bought all the groceries on the 7 day shopping list I found, it would be 300$. I'm really not trying to criticize...I'm just really hoping for the willpower to complete the whole 30 days.

Good luck to all. I'm really hoping to reset my system. I'm really tired of catching cold and feeling tired.

I'm a bit concerned about the cost. I think if I bought all the groceries on the 7 day shopping list I found, it would be 300$. I'm really not trying to criticize...I'm just really hoping for the willpower to complete the whole 30 days.

There are a bunch of posts on the forum about keeping costs down. Best way to search is by going to google and typing your search plus Whole30. 

For me keeping it simple is what's best. A lot of things are staples that you just have to stock up on every now and then. 

There are a bunch of posts on the forum about keeping costs down. Best way to search is by going to google and typing your search plus Whole30. 

For me keeping it simple is what's best. A lot of things are staples that you just have to stock up on every now and then. 

great resource for info...thanks very much.

I am starting the Whole30 on Monday! I am a HUGE sugar addict! Any tips on avoiding this? I usually use gum, but that is not allowed. 

Also, I can go all day eating healthy and keeping myself in check, but the second I get home, I can eat the entire refrigerator! Any suggestions on why this is or how to keep that at bay during the whole30? 

Angela

I'm wondering if anyone else, like me, is going through the list of can't haves and enjoying them this week prior to doing the Whole30?

I'm starting Monday too!

Welcome xmegs!

I have ordered my primal mayo and coconut oil on Amazon.  Planning to order some coconut aminos and nuts on Vitacost later today.  Hoping to find some time this weekend to prep some meal components.  I'm thinking hard boiled eggs, breakfast sausage patties, and roasted butternut squash soup.  

I'm wondering if anyone else, like me, is going through the list of can't haves and enjoying them this week prior to doing the Whole30?

Just be careful! Sometimes people find they have a worse "hangover" if they've gone too crazy with the non-compliant stuff in the days leading up.

Angela

Hi Angela. I was also a huge sugar addict. I'm currently on Day20 and doing very well. As someone else mentioned, focusing on being full and satisfied by following the meal template can help you. I've also noticed that a lot of times when I'm craving sugar, I'm actually dehydrated. I tend to focus on drinking tons of water/tea/lacroix. I've also noticed sometimes I just want the taste out of my mouth/want some freshness so I will go brush my teeth. Drinking flavored lacroix, fruit flavored and peppermint tea also help. Just make sure to read your tea labels... you'd be surprised about some ingredients.

If I can do it, you can definitely do it.

Angela

Ooh one more thing. Since you're starting on a Monday, I suggest doing a bunch of cooking Sunday. That way, when you get home the first couple nights you'll have compliant food right there to eat a healthy, filling dinner. Otherwise it is so easy (I would know) to want to go back to the snacking habits as soon as you get home.

Starting March 28th. I have been doing the 30 clean challenges previously but stopped about 1 month ago. I must do something again to keep accountable. I wanted to try this one but they look very similar so I am hoping to easily get back into the swing of things! Can't wait!!

I learned an valuable lesson from my interrupted first Whole30 attempt earlier this month - on the 15th day. Life circumstances brought me a day that caused me some sadness and I just needed a sandwich. Yes, needed was the word I used. I am surprised that it was a sandwich that turned me since I am not that big a fan of sandwiches... anywho, I did not fall too far off the wagon. I kept eating mostly Whole30 but I took back up drinking coke - I know, terrible. But that's the truth.

I have committed to starting again on the 28th. This time around I know that telling myself, "two slices of bread won't hurt - it's not like it's a coke" is a lie. A dangerous, dirty, filthy, warm, and cozy lie that will lead me gently back to sugar addiction! Not this time though. I am on to that sugar dragon and it's beguiling ways. It acts all innocent and harmless - LIES and mendacity I tell ya. Beware. 

I'm starting on the 28th too! I find myself eating when I'm bored and emotionally. I will have a challenge come the 28th not just due to starting the program, but also because I know there will be food brought into work that I won't be able to indulge in. I think dairy will be the most difficult for me. We eat diary with virtually every meal. Cheese is a serious downfall for me, but I know it gives me digestive issues for sure. Looking forward to a challenge and positive results and outcomes for my overall health!

I tried my first whole30 on the first of this month and failed on the 15th but I kept eating the whole30 way albeit drinking coke. Here is what I have found- 

My food cost went up because I rarely cooked before whole30. However, I found ways to scale back the cost after the first week. If I made a fancy lunch then my bill skyrocketed but keeping to a big green salad with some protein (canned tuna, canned salmon, 2-3 frozen chicken tenders) was more reasonable. Keeping breakfast to just eggs and cooked ground pork or turkey meatballs (1 pound lasted a few days) with an apple also kept the budget in check. Dinner (taken from Whole30 book) were pricey but they lasted longer than expected especially if I piled on the veggies.

So far (through Easter which will produce leftovers) I spent $410 on groceries this month. That is including my husband and mother as well. My husband did not eat breakfast or lunch with me - my mother did. $410 for 27 days of food is $15.20 a day but that is shared cost so let's count my husband as half and my mom and me as each a whole and it comes to $6.10 a day or $42 a week per person. I do think it is cheaper to cook for a group so if I were on my own I would budget $60-$70 a week.

I'm starting on Monday too. First-timer. I've done low-carb before, but never tried no dairy and no sweeteners. My worst time of day is usually around 3:00-3:30 in the afternoon. I'm usually fine between breakfast and lunch, but the low-energy hunger in the middle of the afternoon when dinner isn't for another 3-4 hours often derails me. Also worried about day 15. I can usually power through any diet for 2 weeks but then lose my will power and focus.

I've never joined a forum before or chatted with others trying to do the same thing, so hopefully the social support will help. I tend to get turned off by overly preachy zealousness and use it as an excuse to disengage.

I'm hoping that openly committing, owning up to my pitfalls, and accepting feedback will make this a more successful experience. Also hoping that others find my contributions supportive.

I am starting Monday the 28th also. I have decided it is a good thing for my family to do as well 11 year old twins one boy one girl and my husband and I. My children have really bad skin issues my husband has food allergies and I believe I have food allergies and bloating and digestion issues and yukk. I'm really looking forward to the Whole 30 cleansing us all changing our taste buds and getting back to real wholesome food. Learning to slay the sugar dragon the dairy dragon and the carbohydrate dragon will be major challenges for us. The more I research the more I really feel this is the way to go the Whole 30 way.

I am starting Monday the 28th also. I have decided it is a good thing for my family to do as well 11 year old twins one boy one girl and my husband and I. My children have really bad skin issues my husband has food allergies and I believe I have food allergies and bloating and digestion issues and yukk. I'm really looking forward to the Whole 30 cleansing us all changing our taste buds and getting back to real wholesome food. Learning to slay the sugar dragon the dairy dragon and the carbohydrate dragon will be major challenges for us. The more I research the more I really feel this is the way to go the Whole 30 way.

It will be nice to have the support of your family doing this with you. Best of luck.

I'm starting on the 28th too! I find myself eating when I'm bored and emotionally. I will have a challenge come the 28th not just due to starting the program, but also because I know there will be food brought into work that I won't be able to indulge in. I think dairy will be the most difficult for me. We eat diary with virtually every meal. Cheese is a serious downfall for me, but I know it gives me digestive issues for sure. Looking forward to a challenge and positive results and outcomes for my overall health!

Cheese is definitely my downfall! I use cheese for everything so it's going to be a hard thing to get rid of. 

Yay, glad to see so many people joining! I made hard boiled eggs yesterday, butternut squash soup today, and hoping to do some broiled chicken thighs at some point tomorrow. I have a big head of Napa cabbage to use. Any ideas?

Archived