Starting On March 28th!

Angela82

Hi! My congestion and sinus issues were a huge reason for starting W30 the first time. I went through many ups and downs with my sinuses during most of the 30 days and took it all as part of the process. Some days I was able to breathe beautifully, other days was worse than before. I've definitely seen a huge improvement overall, but again, it took some time. Good luck!

Thanks Caroline!  I figured that it might be related.  I'm not even 40 and have chronic ear pressure that can turn into vertigo, so hope that this helps.  I loved reading about your success.  It is really inspiring!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning! Kill everyone has set in. I nearly took my 6yo daughter's head off this morning because she didn't want to get dressed for school. She suddenly decided she has too much pink in her wardrobe, after refusing to wear any other color but pink for the last 2-3 years. So with all the morning drama, we ran pretty late and I was glad to have some hard boiled eggs on standby because there was no time to cook anything. Threw the eggs in a bowl with with some veggies, olives and leftover baked potato. Hopefully my mood improves once I settle in to the day, because my family is going to be very unhappy with me if this continues.

Thanks to everyone who liked and commented on my travel day experience. The positive feedback really helps!

How's everyone else doing?

I haven't started wanting to Kill All the Things yet, but that has hit me in previous W30s. So far today I am feeling pretty OK. I am not feeling as refreshed in the morning as I want to be yet (but I still get up in the middle of the night to nurse my daughter, and that probably wont' stop during this W30). No headache really. I haven't thought about sugar as much today as I did yesterday (yay!)

I have a 7, 3 and 1 year old and I regularly run out of patience with my 3 year old, and I get kind of snappy with my 7 year old sometimes. I am going to try REALLY hard not to be that way...but I also don't want to take anything out on my husband either. I'm hoping this forum helps with my emotions--I've never been active here before.

I am glad my headache is gone today! However I did dream of twix... I don't even eat those, and that started some big cravings. I hope that dinner will squash my cravings. It should not be a surprise to me that real food tends to kill junk food cravings, yet sometimes I still suffer through a craving needlessly. I hope you guys are smarter than me and just eat good-for-you food.

Yes, pkoyster, eating real food does a great job of taking away cravings for junk food.

I had a lazy day in the house today. Normally I would have sat around watching TV and binging but I managed to stick to on-plan foods. I ate a huge dinner and now I am hungry but I'm just going to go to bed. Day 5 we're looking at you!

Hi everyone. Hope you're all doing well. After reading more here, I don't think I'm coming down with the flu...I think my body is just in shock.

I've had a few weak moments , but didn't fall. Attended a meeting yesterday where they served pizza. I enjoyed my veggie packed meat sauce over roasted spaghetti squash. There wasn't too much of a temptation. Luckily (or not) I've had too bad a headache to get seriously tempted by all the Easter candy laying around the office.

Week two shopping...I think I have a better handle on what I should buy.

I'm having a friend for dinner and preparing a Whole30 meal...grilled shrimp with a garlic dipping sauce to start, and roasted lemon thyme chicken served with string beans (oh, or maybe roasted broccoli) and a potato/sweet potato bake. I don't usually have desser (well, ever) but I'll serve a nice fruit salad (light and I can have a bite so my guest won't feel strange that she is eating dessert and I am not) you know?

Stay strong every one. I suspect next week I'll feel better. I hope I don't notice temptations more...

I haven't started wanting to Kill All the Things yet, but that has hit me in previous W30s. So far today I am feeling pretty OK. I am not feeling as refreshed in the morning as I want to be yet (but I still get up in the middle of the night to nurse my daughter, and that probably wont' stop during this W30). No headache really. I haven't thought about sugar as much today as I did yesterday (yay!)

I have a 7, 3 and 1 year old and I regularly run out of patience with my 3 year old, and I get kind of snappy with my 7 year old sometimes. I am going to try REALLY hard not to be that way...but I also don't want to take anything out on my husband either. I'm hoping this forum helps with my emotions--I've never been active here before.

@hilarypaige I am really impressed that you are doing this while nursing. When I was nursing my daughter, I was hungry all the time, but was able to lose the baby weight and then some because of the calories burned by nursing. Of course, once I stopped it all came back.

I don't think I'm missing the sugar as much as the habit of eating sweets as a pick-me-up. This weekend will be a test of will-power because work/school days are more structured. Also, we have plans to go out Saturday night and it will be challenging to eat in a restaurant.  Hopefully now that restaurants have become more accommodating to food allergies/sensitivities, it won't be impossible to find something I can eat.

Any suggestions?

How's Day 5 going, everyone?  I came home with some compliant (I thought) hand packed turkey and realized when I got home that the ingredient list had "dextrose" in it.  Sneaky Sprouts! Other than that, I'm hanging in.  Still getting hungry-ish at 3 p.m, even though I feel like I'm eating a huge lunch.

I think I've got a handle on meal sizes now as I'm getting 4-6 hours between meals before I'm hungry again. However, the energy doesn't last that long. I feel great for about an hour after I eat and then I get lethargic again. Ready for my body to learn to use fat for fuel!

Hi everyone, I started on March 28th too - just found the forums! :) I hope you don't mind my jumping in the thread now. My husband started W30 with me, but just quit this morning. He hasn't done any of the reading, just what I've read out loud or paraphrased to him, so it was never his idea as much as mine. He'll support me but isn't ready to ditch the oatmeal, juice, and sweetened soymilk, even for 30 days. Oh well! I'm feeling good - a little burpy, and yesterday at work I was definitely Kill All The Things, but I warned my supervisor and she sweetly ran interference for me. 

@ElkaSimmy I ate out Thursday night in an unfamiliar city without doing research beforehand - oops. I thought we'd find more restaurant options in the area we were in. I ended up getting a plain beef burger and a salad with oil and vinegar. I grilled the server (and left a generous tip for being so accommodating) about the ingredients, sauces, marinades of everything, and that was what I ended up with, but hopefully you can research the restaurant's menu online beforehand and find one with more options.

I was still hungry afterwards, but luckily had made an emergency lunch bag I had in my car - had some compliant veggies from a health food store food bar, and a few nuts to fill me up. 

My husband and I started the 28Th as well. Sorry to jump in but figured we needed help as the headaches and problems hit.

We did 2 weeks of easing- in thinking we'd avoid the sudden change. We normally eat pretty well ( so we thought). We eat organic, lots of fresh foods from scratch and never thought we had had so much added sugars till reading labels. We always had small breakfasts, skip lunch a lot of the time or had a large lunch sometimes late afternoon and skip dinner. I recently lost 20 pounds by cutting out carbs. We will miss cheese the most.

Week 2 starts and we are both very headachy. ( searched aspirin and I think acetaminophen is preferred? )

I feel very bloated after meals and find I need to eat so much more than usual and feel hungry within a couple of hours. I think I'm gaining weight as my stomach is no longer flat and waist bands are getting tighter. Anyone else feeling this?

Sleeping is really messed up too. Can't get to sleep and waking several times then can't get back to sleep. Anyone else? Is this just a stage?

Hoping this week goes better.

Finishing up day 6. Surprisingly, I haven't craved any off-plan foods or had any food-related dreams, though my best friend who's doing this with me dreamt about pizza last night. I've finally figured out meal sizes and proportions and today was the first day I didn't have a headache. I still don't have very much energy in the afternoon though, and my uterus is cramping due to being back on birth control. I'm getting tired earlier and going to bed earlier, which has me waking up earlier... this morning I woke up at 6:30 with nothing to do and couldn't go back to sleep.

Hey guys, let's hang in there! It really does get better. I think we can all agree we are miserable right now. But it will be over before you know it. Almost a week down! Stay strong friends and remember why you are doing this. Tonight I'm thinking about my family, how my eating choices help me be the mom I want to be. It Starts With Food- truer words never spoken. Day 7 here we come.

So I havent had any of the symptoms that were mentioned...im not sure if my body just doesnt recognize that im not eating sugar or if my diet has some sugar in it that sneakly worked it's way in?? Im confused...i havent eaten out. Ive cooked everything from scratch. So im really not sure what's going on... :( i feel great that i dont have all these symptoms but i feel like im doing something wrong..but i do have dreams about eating dessert. I dreamt about eating an oreo and being mad at myself for doing so haha and then the next night i dreamt of my family making pies and cakes and i just stood by and couldnt eat any.

Happy Monday everyone!

Made it successfully through the weekend, even with eating at restaurants for a couple of meals. I was able to have burgers (w/o bun) after checking to make sure there was no breading in the burger itself, either with potatoes or salad.  It was actually a nice treat because I usually eat mostly chicken, fish and eggs during the week at home, so having beef was enough of a change that it felt special. I was even able to watch others at my table enjoy their desserts without feeling too envious.

In retrospect, I fear that one of the places may have sautéed the mushrooms and onions in some butter, even though I asked for no dairy, but I don't know for sure.

I am noticing that my taste is starting to change in that I don't miss the sweetener in my coffee or tea as much as I did at the beginning. If I uses spices or herbs (cinnamon, mint, etc.) to flavor the beverages, that usually tastes just fine.

I did have a weird food dream for the first time last night. That might have been induced by the stress of having to worry about what/how to eat when away from home more than craving something I couldn't have.

How is everyone else doing?

So I havent had any of the symptoms that were mentioned...im not sure if my body just doesnt recognize that im not eating sugar or if my diet has some sugar in it that sneakly worked it's way in?? Im confused...i havent eaten out. Ive cooked everything from scratch. So im really not sure what's going on... :( i feel great that i dont have all these symptoms but i feel like im doing something wrong..but i do have dreams about eating dessert. I dreamt about eating an oreo and being mad at myself for doing so haha and then the next night i dreamt of my family making pies and cakes and i just stood by and couldnt eat any.

I'm sure you are doing fine.  It affects everyone differently. 

I was soooo sleepy this weekend.  Really looking forward to waking up with energy!

Hi everyone!!! Just checking in. With only 4 hours to go until I have to wake up for work in the morning, my energy levels decide to skyrocket! Go figure. :/ I've been pretty exhausted these last couple of days, which I know is normal, so I've been trying to just let it ride and get through it. I've had way more cravings and temptations this round than last round. I'm wondering if the "newness" of the program has worn off for me and now I'm fighting excuses to cut this one short. I keep reminding myself that I'm seeing and feeling the results of the program and that it would be a waste to quit now. Each morning that I wake up, I wake up proud that I made it through another day and that usually helps with keeping me on track. Anyway...that's my story for now. I'd better try and get some sleep or I really will want to "kill all the things!" Good luck everyone...week 1 down!

Hi everyone!!! Just checking in. With only 4 hours to go until I have to wake up for work in the morning, my energy levels decide to skyrocket! Go figure. :/ I've been pretty exhausted these last couple of days, which I know is normal, so I've been trying to just let it ride and get through it. I've had way more cravings and temptations this round than last round. I'm wondering if the "newness" of the program has worn off for me and now I'm fighting excuses to cut this one short. I keep reminding myself that I'm seeing and feeling the results of the program and that it would be a waste to quit now. Each morning that I wake up, I wake up proud that I made it through another day and that usually helps with keeping me on track. Anyway...that's my story for now. I'd better try and get some sleep or I really will want to "kill all the things!" Good luck everyone...week 1 down!

You can do it, Caroline!!!  

Day 9 everybody!  How is everyone doing?  Last night the tummy trouble started for me.  It's so funny how spot on the book's timeline has been so far.  I'm so grateful to have that blueprint, so I don't freak out every time I hit a snag.  I think I also had something sauteed in butter by accident in a restaurant as well, Elka.  I did not feel right afterward, although it could just be the tummy enzyme thing. I'm just going to keep on trucking, though.  You know better, you do better.   I have a week of some very late work nights coming up, so I'm trying to plan really well.  It coincides with days 10 and 11.  Oy!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!  Just another week until we get all tiger-y.  ;)

Hi everyone! I technically started on March 29 but since I live in Europe I am ahead at least 6 hours so I figure I could fit in with you guys, if you'll have me! So far so good! I had the headache at the beginning but none of the other symptoms.

Of course you can join us, everyone is welcome!

I've been experimenting in the kitchen a lot this past week, doing a lot of things I've never done before: roasted a whole chicken, made my own broth, roasted whole turkey breasts, made mayo by hand (what a forearm workout!), made sunshine sauce with cashew butter, and tried some new foods like watermelon radish, galia melon, and jicama (which is awesome!) Favorite recipe I've used to far has to be Mel Joulwan's golden cauliflower soup :)

I've noticed that my cravings have started to subside a bit! Like usually I'll crave for cafeteria food so much (im in college) and because I didn't have it for a week, I've actually not been craving it as much. Ive been really tired these few days. I think I'm finally getting to that stage! 

Hey everyone, things are looking good here.  This is not my first attempt so I was a little worried food boredom would set in sooner.  However, I am not only enjoying plenty of old favorites, but I also have found new things.  Last night my Tessemae sauces arrived.  I tried the ketchup and bbq sauce already.  I am looking forward to trying all of them in the coming weeks.  Also I am piling on the fat as much as I can.  Still having cravings for sweets but I'm still eating fruit.  I'm also nursing a baby and I think I'm supposed to keep up he fruit if I remember right.  Happy Day 10 everyone!

Day 10. Feeling okay. Digestion issues seem to be getting back to normal. Getting a little bored with salad at lunch, but trying to be creative about it. Also trying new spice/flavor combinations with veggies at dinner. I used some smoked paprika on zucchini that gave it a nice little punch. Also, boiled carrots with cinnamon, ginger, and a chopped date in the water. Just trying to keep it interesting. I was thinking of trying to pan fry some jicama chips, but I'm afraid that might be too much like snack food that I'm trying to avoid. Although, it might add a nice texture as a salad topper. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The "craving" I'm having most is the urge to step on the scale. I'm anxious to see how I'm doing, but I know that is a trap. If it doesn't show a loss, or enough of a loss, that could be too disheartening. I'm used to weighing in at least weekly, and during some previous diets even daily. I think this is the longest I've gone without stepping on a scale in 10 years. I'll just have to look for validation elsewhere. I think I'm starting to see my face getting thinner. I hope that's not just wishful thinking.

How's everyone else getting along?

Congrats everyone on Day 10! One third done! I have to admit you are all much more creative in the kitchen than me. Living in Europe in a small country and a small town has its limitations, but some pros as well. I can't order or buy any of the exotic or unusual spices or foods but I also don't have to worry about whether my food is clean or not. All my meat, veggies and fruit come from small family owned farms right in my neighborhood, some even from my own garden. My meals have been clean and traditional without a lot of "jazz". I have ling ago started eating only seasonal foods and foods that grow in the area I live, so if its growning now in the gardens around me we eat it.

Today I noticed for the first time that a pair of pants that used to be tight, fit me just right and a couple of people at work asked if I had lost weight. :) Now that was just the burst of motivation I needed.

How are you guys doing with exercise? I take a two hour dance class once a week and go for a 5-6K run about three times a week. Should I be doing more?

Archived