Starting On March 28th!

Angela82

@Dem - hang in there. I'm right there with you. After several admonishments by @SugarcubeOD about the fruit & nut snacks, I am really trying to not do that. Yesterday at around 4 p.m. my afternoon hunger kicked in and all I could think about for the better part of an hour was how I wanted to eat something and how angry I was at this stupid diet and everybody who advocates for it. Plus, I needed to cook dinner and had planned a nice menu, but I was so frustrated that I made foolish mistakes (like forgetting to turn the heat on under the frying pan and wondering why my fish wasn't cooking). Then, I ate so quickly at dinner that I couldn't honestly tell you how anything tasted.

I try to have a pretty big salad with a good amount of protein and fat at lunch, but I just think there is too much time between lunch and dinner. I usually eat lunch around 12:30 and dinner isn't until 6:30-7:00 because of my family's schedule. I'm finding that no matter how full I am after lunch, I am not making it 6 1/2- 7 hours without anything but water or tea. I may have to try eating lunch later, maybe around 1:30-2:00 to see if that helps.

When is the energy supposed to kick in? I'm looking forward to that.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

After several admonishments by @SugarcubeOD about the fruit & nut snacks, I am really trying to not do that. Yesterday at around 4 p.m. my afternoon hunger kicked in and all I could think about for the better part of an hour was how I wanted to eat something and how angry I was at this stupid diet and everybody who advocates for it.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Oh no... I hope that I haven't come across as harsh or admonishing... I genuinely want you (and everyone) to get the best out of your commitment to the time you spend on the Whole30.

That said... if you are legitimately hungry (as it sounds you were), we do NOT expect you to starve... in that case I would have suggested you eat something to get you through to dinner.  Hardboiled egg, canned fish, some leftover chicken or chili or whatever you have laying around that you could have taken a few bites to get you through.

Thanks @SugarcubeOD. I'm pretty sure that was one of my Kill All the Things moments :angry:  :(

I'll try having some protein in that afternoon hunger moment next time instead of fruit & nuts. I understand and appreciate the logic of it.

Thanks for keeping us honest and on the right path.

Hello everyone! It's so awesome to see so many posts each day. I'm having similar struggles as many of you are right now, mostly with fighting the urge to snack. Staying compliant food-wise hasn't been too hard, but with my long work days I'm definitely doing more 4 meal days than 3. I'm trying to keep my meals more simple this round for the sake of my family....they understand why I need to spend extra time in the kitchen each day, but with my already limited time at home I start to feel a bit guilty about it. Physically, I'm feeling pretty good overall. I'll have small bursts of energy throughout the day and my daily exhaustion has subsided. I have a half marathon in a month, so I'm hoping the added energy will help with my training. I've experimented with fueling for my long runs and I must say, I feel better with the W30 options than with my previous gels and pre-workout powders, etc. Has anyone thought about their plan post-W30? I'm most likely going to stick to it until my race, then work on reintroductions after. I WAS daydreaming about a wine/cheese night while at work today though, so we'll see.

Hi everyone. Hope you're all doing well...we are supposed to be emerging into a bit of an easier time, clearer mind and more energy. I don't think I'm "typical" as I'm heading into having a kidney stone removed and there is some discomfort and little sleeping due to that and the stress of buying a new home.

But, I had a pre-op appointment today and the Nurse Practicioner was shocked. My blood pressure went from 132/87 to 120/82 in the last 4 weeks (2 of which have been "on" Whole30....so my body has definitely changed. (and although I do know my new weight, I didn't technically weigh myself...it was part of the appointment...it's very encouraging.)

Onward 13 days to go. But I've made a decision. Sure I'll look at the reintroduction and test a few things. But I think mainly I'm going to continue eating like this. I'm no worse off with no sugar. I miss things like pizza and maybe there is a place for that in my life once a month...not 3x a week. Things like that.

anyway, I hope it's ok to share that good news to encourage everyone. Big changes are coming for sure.

Hello everyone! It's so awesome to see so many posts each day. I'm having similar struggles as many of you are right now, mostly with fighting the urge to snack. Staying compliant food-wise hasn't been too hard, but with my long work days I'm definitely doing more 4 meal days than 3. I'm trying to keep my meals more simple this round for the sake of my family....they understand why I need to spend extra time in the kitchen each day, but with my already limited time at home I start to feel a bit guilty about it. Physically, I'm feeling pretty good overall. I'll have small bursts of energy throughout the day and my daily exhaustion has subsided. I have a half marathon in a month, so I'm hoping the added energy will help with my training. I've experimented with fueling for my long runs and I must say, I feel better with the W30 options than with my previous gels and pre-workout powders, etc. Has anyone thought about their plan post-W30? I'm most likely going to stick to it until my race, then work on reintroductions after. I WAS daydreaming about a wine/cheese night while at work today though, so we'll see.

Hi Caroline,

I am also having a hard time with the three meals.  I eat breakfast around 6 a.m. and am usually in a rush trying to get myself and two kids under 6 ready for the day.  I'm a teacher, so the thirty minutes for lunch usually translates to about 10 and I find myself trying to shovel these massive meals in my mouth so I can last until dinner time.  It bit me back yesterday though, and my tummy was upset for hours afterward.  I think the combo of fattier meals and trying to eat too much in a short period of time is doing me in, so today I definitely had more snacks and smaller meals, which is helping my digestion.  I don't feel like I've lost any weight still, but that might just be because I feel so bloated all the time.  It will come, hopefully (or, more accurately, go).  So impressive that you are training for a half marathon!  I am not sure what I'm doing after this.  I think there will be many habit changes, though.

I am also having a hard time with the three meals.  I eat breakfast around 6 a.m. and am usually in a rush trying to get myself and two kids under 6 ready for the day.  I'm a teacher, so the thirty minutes for lunch usually translates to about 10 and I find myself trying to shovel these massive meals in my mouth so I can last until dinner time.  It bit me back yesterday though, and my tummy was upset for hours afterward.  I think the combo of fattier meals and trying to eat too much in a short period of time is doing me in, so today I definitely had more snacks and smaller meals, which is helping my digestion.  I don't feel like I've lost any weight still, but that might just be because I feel so bloated all the time.  It will come, hopefully (or, more accurately, go).  So impressive that you are training for a half marathon!  I am not sure what I'm doing after this.  I think there will be many habit changes, though.

This is like reading a post written by me! I am also a teacher and wake up at 5 to prepare breakfast for my family. I have two girls and they get up at 6:10 and we all have breakfast together then. I manage to take 20-30 minutes for lunch each day so that makes things much better.

Looking forward to more energy. Not sure about happens after the whole30. I am rereading the books in order to prepare myself. As so many of you mentioned my eating habit have changed and I will stick to the new healthier habit.

Today, I'm starting to feel like I'm being had. My back is hurt; my stomach is still jacked; and I'm exhausted.  I eat two eggs over half a roasted sweet potato for breakfast with avocado and an  orange or leftover veggies, and then I usually have the other half of the sweet potato for lunch with a salad and some chicken or beef thrown in.  Sometimes I have leftover dinner or a veggie smoothy with a banana thrown in. Dinner is usually something from the cookbook.  Last night it was protein salad with avo as a base and a bunch of leafy greens and some walnuts. I've also made perfect burger, perfect roast chicken, and the brussel sprout/squash dish.  I try to avoid snacks, but usually have a handful of almonds and a piece of fruit at around 10 a.m.  What is going on?  My stomach is so bloated it is hurting my back. Please help!  This is the first time I'm wondering if I should see this through. I take a Jarro Dophilous probiotics every morning as well.

Any advice is appreciated!

Hi everyone! I'm sorry to hear that you guys are having issues, too. I also have yet to feel the "Tiger Blood" but I'm slowly cutting back on mindless snacking. I actually made it through today with only the three template meals, so I'm pretty proud of that. Here's to hoping tomorrow will be the same! As an incentive, I've decided to put $5 in a pot every day that I successfully listen to my hunger cues - I know I should be doing this for the intrinsic reward of having a healthier relationship with food, but a little extrinsic motivation probably won't hurt, right? I've been looking to get an immersion blender and an Instant Pot, so that's what my little fund is going to go towards.

I'm kind of worried because I have a 3 day long trip next week where I will be expected to eat at least 3 meals with people that I am trying very hard to impress. Two of the meals will be catered (not sure if I'm going to be able to eat anything there...) and one is at a restaurant that offers a paleo option (so hopefully it will be easier to ask the staff about what's in the marinades/sauces). I think I will have access to a fridge so I'm going to load up on hard boiled eggs, fresh cut veggies and fruit, avocados, coconut, and cashews. Probably can't carry that many eggs in my purse though - any other ideas for easy protein that will stay edible in my purse for 3-4 hours?

Hi everyone! I'm sorry to hear that you guys are having issues, too. I also have yet to feel the "Tiger Blood" but I'm slowly cutting back on mindless snacking. I actually made it through today with only the three template meals, so I'm pretty proud of that. Here's to hoping tomorrow will be the same! As an incentive, I've decided to put $5 in a pot every day that I successfully listen to my hunger cues - I know I should be doing this for the intrinsic reward of having a healthier relationship with food, but a little extrinsic motivation probably won't hurt, right? I've been looking to get an immersion blender and an Instant Pot, so that's what my little fund is going to go towards.

I'm kind of worried because I have a 3 day long trip next week where I will be expected to eat at least 3 meals with people that I am trying very hard to impress. Two of the meals will be catered (not sure if I'm going to be able to eat anything there...) and one is at a restaurant that offers a paleo option (so hopefully it will be easier to ask the staff about what's in the marinades/sauces). I think I will have access to a fridge so I'm going to load up on hard boiled eggs, fresh cut veggies and fruit, avocados, coconut, and cashews. Probably can't carry that many eggs in my purse though - any other ideas for easy protein that will stay edible in my purse for 3-4 hours?

How about jerky and canned fish or chicken?

Why is it that the stuff that we want to snack mindlessly on causes so much intestinal distress?  Yesterday I really overdid it with the grapes and man did I pay for it last night.  It was truly mindless, I had no idea I had eaten that much over the course of the day until I realized that the bag which had been full in the morning was now almost empty.  I am very motivated to pay attention to that today!!  My biggest issue is still finding time to prepare/eat that 4th meal which is recommended for nursing mamas.  I know I need it because I am hungry alot but I just can't seem to make it happen.  I am eating 3 large meals, and yesterday with breakfast I even ate a whole avocado!  This week has been super hectic, more than usual.  

I need suggestions for fatty snacks (I believe that's okay for nursing mamas).  I don't like coconut milk by itself. I like olives with my meals but not usually alone.  Maybe I can train myself to like them on their own.  Do the yolks in hard boiled eggs count as fat?

Today, I'm starting to feel like I'm being had. My back is hurt; my stomach is still jacked; and I'm exhausted.  I eat two eggs over half a roasted sweet potato for breakfast with avocado and an  orange or leftover veggies, and then I usually have the other half of the sweet potato for lunch with a salad and some chicken or beef thrown in.  Sometimes I have leftover dinner or a veggie smoothy with a banana thrown in. Dinner is usually something from the cookbook.  Last night it was protein salad with avo as a base and a bunch of leafy greens and some walnuts. I've also made perfect burger, perfect roast chicken, and the brussel sprout/squash dish.  I try to avoid snacks, but usually have a handful of almonds and a piece of fruit at around 10 a.m.  What is going on?  My stomach is so bloated it is hurting my back. Please help!  This is the first time I'm wondering if I should see this through. I take a Jarro Dophilous probiotics every morning as well.

Any advice is appreciated!

@AmisOtis: I don't know if this will help you, but I found that I really needed to up my protein at meals. I was loading up on the veggies to fill the plate and that was giving me a lot of indigestion and then I was getting hungry between meals. I still have a good portion of veggies, but I'll allow myself a more generous helping of the protein than I would have before. Also, I found that I have to be careful about which vegetables I eat in larger quantities. Brussel sprouts in particular seem to cause me more digestive problems, so I use those sparingly. Also, I've never liked to consume mass quantities of water, so I drink a lot of iced tea. I have found brewing the tea with a little mint helps with the digestion too.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

@Amis Otis, the rule for eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand, which is probably 3. Smoothies are discouraged. You didn't mention your fat source at lunch. I agree that the mass quantities of raw veggies are probably upsetting your tummy. Are you eating alot of nUts? I know fruit and nuts make me bloated.

Today was a good day for me. I ate 3 hardboiled eggs for my afternoon mini meal (I am a nursing mama!) We got home late but my mood was steady. Imagine several hangry kids pestering you while you're trying to make dinner and you get the idea. Baby had a cold and didn't sleep last night but I made it through the day ok. So I'd say those are some non-scale victories.

Thank you so much, Ladies.  I realized that I had put coconut cream in the ranch dressing, and had had coconut milk the previous week.  I just don't think I can do coconut.  I also skipped the sweet potato and felt much better yesterday.  Sweet potato had never given me any problems before, but then again, I've never had it 17 days in a row before.  Time to diversify the old portfolio ;)

Yesterday was an awesome day.  I felt high energy all day and got some compliments on my skin, so hopefully I'm turning a corner.  I did end up with two salads for lunch and dinner (with avo), so I did have some more tummy pain last night, but I'll try to plan better today.

Thanks Again!  Welcome to Day 20 everyone!

Is it only Day 20?  I feel like I've come so far and yet I have so far to go.

I made a bunch of breakfast sausage patties this morning.  I just want to veg today after a hectic week but I know I should push myself to prep some more food.  I'm thinking of doing Nom Nom Paleo's spicy tuna patties except I am missing some ingredients.  How is everyone else doing?

I'm kind of hitting a food plateau, especially now that I can't have a sweet potato with everything.  What's your favorite dish you guys have made this week? Day 21 and I still crave sugar in my coffee every morning, but the night time snacking impulse has gone way down. :)

My favorite meal was crockpot stew. I sautee carrots, celery, leeks, onion, garlic, parsley roots, parsley leaves, and kale on a little olive oil, then I use an immersion blender when the veggies have softened. I divide this mixture and freeze portions for other days. I put the veggie mixture into the crockpot with cubes of sweet potato, cubes of carrot and any kind of meat you like (turkey, chicken, sausage, beef etc). Season with salt and pepper and add water - 8 hours on low and DELICIOUS!

Doing okay. Today I went on a field trip with my daughter's choir and I did not eat enough! I rather did not eat than have something against the rules! I am back on track now!

Please share some favorite meals.

Doing OK here. I definitely notice I have more energy, or at least I can stay awake past 8 pm.

Favorite meals: fried eggs on top of hamburger or homemade sausage patties with sautéed spinach; Brazilian Fish Stew from allrecipes.com with some kind of vegetables on the side; broiled steak or lamb chops with potatoes fried in beef tallow & salad; sweet potato topped with taco meat and red salsa; cabbage sautéed in ghee with chicken and salsa, topped with avocado.

Doing OK here. I definitely notice I have more energy, or at least I can stay awake past 8 pm.

Favorite meals: fried eggs on top of hamburger or homemade sausage patties with sautéed spinach; Brazilian Fish Stew from allrecipes.com with some kind of vegetables on the side; broiled steak or lamb chops with potatoes fried in beef tallow & salad; sweet potato topped with taco meat and red salsa; cabbage sautéed in ghee with chicken and salsa, topped with avocado.

Wow! Great ideas! Thanks! I will definitely try some of these this week!

Has anyone had problems with digestion? I've been getting an upset stomach after I eat dinner a lot (like 2 or 3 hours after) and I've had to take pepto at times even. I'm not sure what it is because I haven't really added anything different since I've started this month. I'm wondering if it's because I've been eating more meat than I do in my non-Whole30 life (usually I just eat some chicken here and there and seafood). But this month, i've been eating pork and beef and I'm not sure if this is my body not being used to eating so much red meat? 

• Moderators

Has anyone had problems with digestion? I've been getting an upset stomach after I eat dinner a lot (like 2 or 3 hours after) and I've had to take pepto at times even. I'm not sure what it is because I haven't really added anything different since I've started this month. I'm wondering if it's because I've been eating more meat than I do in my non-Whole30 life (usually I just eat some chicken here and there and seafood). But this month, i've been eating pork and beef and I'm not sure if this is my body not being used to eating so much red meat? 

If you would like some specific help with troubleshooting, feel free to open a thread here http://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/ and list out specific quantities of foods, specify what types of vegetable, protein and fats you're eating along with fluid intake.

Hey everyone! Winding down on day 22! The days continue to get easier, though I'm still counting down to my first glass of wine after this. Haha. I feel like I'll be able to keep up this way of eating for the most part and I'm so happy to realize that I feel this way. After my first round, all I could think about was my post-W30 pizza and cheeseburger. Now, besides adding the occasional grass fed dairy if it agrees with me and grain-free alcohol, I think I can make this stick. I think the NSVs are helping a lot with that realization. I've learned that if I keep things simple, it's way easier.

Side note, I made a super easy coconut-lime-cilantro cauliflower rice last night and it was amazing!!! I made enough for this week's lunches to go along with some Cajun chicken. Yum!

I hope everyone is doing great. We're at the final stretch!

Hey everyone! Winding down on day 22! The days continue to get easier, though I'm still counting down to my first glass of wine after this. Haha. I feel like I'll be able to keep up this way of eating for the most part and I'm so happy to realize that I feel this way. After my first round, all I could think about was my post-W30 pizza and cheeseburger. Now, besides adding the occasional grass fed dairy if it agrees with me and grain-free alcohol, I think I can make this stick. I think the NSVs are helping a lot with that realization. I've learned that if I keep things simple, it's way easier.

Side note, I made a super easy coconut-lime-cilantro cauliflower rice last night and it was amazing!!! I made enough for this week's lunches to go along with some Cajun chicken. Yum!

I hope everyone is doing great. We're at the final stretch!

Yay Caroline, that sounds awesome!

I finally got sick and tired of feeling sorry for myself yesterday so I dug in and did alot of reading on the whole30 while breastfeeding forum.  I realized I am not eating nearly enough.  And I don't really need all this fruit (for some reason I was under the impression nursing moms need to keep up their fruit).  The fruit is just making me bloated.  So my plan today is to make more easy snacks/minimeals.  I've got the ingredients for the spicy tuna cakes, and I plan to hard boil some more eggs.  I am recommitting  to this. I've spent the last week feeling tired and hungry and I'm done with that.  My first successful whole 30 was amazing and I want to recapture that magic.  I do notice my pants fit better and I tightened my belt a notch.  Happy Day 23!

Archived