Starting On March 28th!

Angela82

Hello! I'll be starting Day 1 tomorrow so that means today is prep day. I was going to start April 1 but no time like the present right? I'm so glad I found a group that will be going through this with me! I'm more of a carb junkie; breads, crackers, potato chips will be tough for me to give up. But it's only 30 days right?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Yay, glad to see so many people joining! I made hard boiled eggs yesterday, butternut squash soup today, and hoping to do some broiled chicken thighs at some point tomorrow. I have a big head of Napa cabbage to use. Any ideas?

Any of these ideas should work with Napa cabbage as well as the more usual version, or this cabbage salad sounds good -- sub your chicken thighs instead of the boneless, skinless breast it calls for.

Hi everyone! I'm starting round 2 tomorrow with all of you. I finished round 1 on the 16th of this month and started my 11 day vacation with my family on the 17th. Needless to say, I did not follow the proper reintroduction protocol. I felt amazing at the end of my W30 and while I allowed myself to "enjoy" my vacation with unrestricted food and alcohol enjoyment (still did not go as crazy as I would have pre-W30), I find myself ready to do another round!

My first W30 experience...yes, it was tough at times. Socializing was tough, especially when my friends are all booze hounds and late night junk foodies. Days 5-16 were ROUGH, but once I got to the other side of that, I just felt amazing. I wouldn't say I had "tiger blood" at any point, but I just felt great. In all, I lost 15 pounds and was able to get rid of some of my bigger work clothes and wear my old clothes again. I'm ready to tackle another round, possibly longer this time, as well as rev up my fitness training.

Good luck to everyone! It's definitely worth it.

Hi y'all. I am starting my very 1st Whole 30 today as well. I have been allowing myself a few treats this past week to say goodbye to them but when I really paid attention, they weren't all that great. With that said I most worried about sugar cravings. I am planning on starting off with basics like veges omelet for breakfast, salad with protein lunch and/or dinner. I will be cutting down on TV and reading more to avoid snacking in evenings. I HOPE to use a walk, meditation or calling a friend instead of turning to food when anxious. A little scared but excited. We can do this!

Hi y'all. I am starting my very 1st Whole 30 today as well. I have been allowing myself a few treats this past week to say goodbye to them but when I really paid attention, they weren't all that great. With that said I most worried about sugar cravings. I am planning on starting off with basics like veges omelet for breakfast, salad with protein lunch and/or dinner. I will be cutting down on TV and reading more to avoid snacking in evenings. I HOPE to use a walk, meditation or calling a friend instead of turning to food when anxious. A little scared but excited. We can do this!

Have tried to learn to knit? Craftsy.com has many free classes. Plus YouTube.

Good morning everyone! I feel hungover and I look forward to waking up with energy. What are everyone's meal plans for the day? I am going to start my day with scrambled eggs eith spinach and salsa with avocado on the side. Lunch will be leftover brisket with kale.

Sprboston, wowo, I could not do this without coffee. Good for you.

Thanks for the meal ideas

Shannon. I'm thinking Chinese chicken salad for dinner.

I tried my first whole30 on the first of this month and failed on the 15th but I kept eating the whole30 way albeit drinking coke. Here is what I have found- 

My food cost went up because I rarely cooked before whole30. However, I found ways to scale back the cost after the first week. If I made a fancy lunch then my bill skyrocketed but keeping to a big green salad with some protein (canned tuna, canned salmon, 2-3 frozen chicken tenders) was more reasonable. Keeping breakfast to just eggs and cooked ground pork or turkey meatballs (1 pound lasted a few days) with an apple also kept the budget in check. Dinner (taken from Whole30 book) were pricey but they lasted longer than expected especially if I piled on the veggies.

So far (through Easter which will produce leftovers) I spent $410 on groceries this month. That is including my husband and mother as well. My husband did not eat breakfast or lunch with me - my mother did. $410 for 27 days of food is $15.20 a day but that is shared cost so let's count my husband as half and my mom and me as each a whole and it comes to $6.10 a day or $42 a week per person. I do think it is cheaper to cook for a group so if I were on my own I would budget $60-$70 a week.

pkoyster, your breakfast doesn't meet the meal template. That's cutting corners on veggies where you shouldn't. Veggies are my biggest hitter on the grocery bill. I agree that cost is going up. For me it has from $300 before whole30 (lunches and dinners always cooked fresh) to $750 on whole30 (with few organic meats and no grass fed meats at all). Not going out to eat makes up for about $200 of that difference but it's still really expensive to eat this way. I'm on day 24 today

Hi! Since you want to increase your reading I warmly recommend adding "It Starts with Food" to your book list. If you can make yourself grab that book and start reading every time the cravings hit you, there is no way you are going to feed your sugar dragon.

I'm starting on Monday too. First-timer. I've done low-carb before, but never tried no dairy and no sweeteners. My worst time of day is usually around 3:00-3:30 in the afternoon. I'm usually fine between breakfast and lunch, but the low-energy hunger in the middle of the afternoon when dinner isn't for another 3-4 hours often derails me. Also worried about day 15. I can usually power through any diet for 2 weeks but then lose my will power and focus.

I've never joined a forum before or chatted with others trying to do the same thing, so hopefully the social support will help. I tend to get turned off by overly preachy zealousness and use it as an excuse to disengage.

I'm hoping that openly committing, owning up to my pitfalls, and accepting feedback will make this a more successful experience. Also hoping that others find my contributions supportive.

Elka, I used to have snacks between meals but whole 30 discourages those (because it increases the number of times in the day you have to make healthy choices and because it tends to usually just feed your sugar dragon). I had to bump up my meal sizes considerably to stay satiated for at least 4 to 5 hours between meals. If you stick with the meal template you should be fine without a snack until dinner. You may want to consider moving dinner up a little in order for it to be within 5 hours of lunch otherwise it may get difficult at first. I used to have dinner at 7pm or so but now it's usually between 5 and 6pm.

I'm on day 24 and have definitely learned from experience along the way. I hope this isn't coming across as overly preachy zealousness.

Good luck in your journey!

Good morning everyone!

I am also starting another Whole 30 on March 28th.  This will be my third Whole 30, but it's been over year since my last one so it's like starting over.  It's amazing how quickly bad habits will creep back in, especially when stressful situations happen in life.  Looking forward to day 20 (approximately), when things seem to kick in for me and I remember why I'm doing this.  :-)

So, I decided to start yesterday since I had prepped on Saturday. Bought lots of fruits and veggies, some sesame seeds and slivered almonds, and got some arrowroot starch (to use for "breading" on fish/chicken or to thicken sauces), unsweetened shredded coconut and coconut milk. I was pleasantly surprised that coconut milk in my coffee is not as awful as I thought it would be :)

I made some homemade applesauce spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. I had that with some frozen blueberries and slivered almonds as the dessert course with dinner and it was a great way to avoid my normal evening sweet-tooth.

I have to travel for work tomorrow, so I'm going to prep breakfast and lunch travel food to go - hardboiled eggs, carrot & celery sticks, nuts and berries. I'll stick with tea for beverages since I can comfortably drink that without cream or sweeteners.

Good luck to all as we start this journey!

hi y'all! i'm starting today as well. this is my second full round - my first was about 11 months ago and was awesome, though i didn't do the re-intro protocol because of family travel. i've done a few whole3s and whole7s since then, and i'd say i eat about 40-50% whole30/paleo. i'd like this month to help me kick up to 80-90% in my "regular" life. 

for newbies, a couple things i have found super helpful:

- mel joulwan's blog has a weekly "five paleo dinners to cook this week" feature - it's a fun and easy way to explore new foods and almost everything she picks is whole30 or can easily be modified to fit the rules.

- make mayo! using mayo as a base for salad dressings helps provide some creaminess, so you won't miss cheese nearly as much. avocado is also awesome for this purpose (and all purposes). 

- get a spiralizer! i didn't have one for my full whole30 round, but i got one a couple months after and i use that thing daily. it makes eating veggies so fun and is the perfect thing to create veggies that looooove all the yummy sauces you will make.

- get the junk out of your house/have a go-to snack in mind. snacking is strongly discouraged, but for those of us who are evening snackers/bingers, you may have some rough moments, especially in the first week. my go-to is either a HB egg with homemade mayo OR a chunk of compliant turkey/chicken with a handful of olives. if i can throw some carrot sticks or raw bell pepper into the mix, great. the point is, know how to make a compliant mini-meal that's ready super duper quickly so you can grab it in a pinch/moment of weakness. 

- i think someone else said it, but definitely stay hydrated! i think they recommend 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 200lbs, you should be rocking 100 oz of H2O every day. 

good luck to us all - this way of eating is so great and really is life-changing. 

Good morning everyone and Happy Day 1 to all!

Shopping was interesting yesterday, but my buggy was mostly full of veggies so that made me happy! Having the frittata with half an avocado for brekkie this morning. Anyone else find it was mainly spinach held together by a bit of egg? Lunch is packed and dinner was mostly prepped yesterday. So far so good I guess. Lol!

Hi all! I am so glad to see we've all come together to support each other! I'm doing well so far. I did some meal prepping yesterday and I hid my scale, and cleaned out my pantry and fridge! I am nervous that I will get bored with the foods I like because I am so picky. I tried to get some new veggies that I've never really eaten before to expand my palate. It's a texture thing. I can't eat very many raw veggies. I just don't like that crunch!

I am starting my 2nd whole30 today. I finished my first back in September of last year. This is my first time participating in a forum. Last go around I found it really helpful reading people's daily post and relating to their struggles. So I thought I would participate this time. I felt really great doing my last whole30. Two weeks in and the aches and pains I usually have with running disappeared. So I am back to get a recharge! The first week is a struggle, but the benefits are so worth it! Good luck to everyone, we can do it!

• Moderators

Hi all! I am so glad to see we've all come together to support each other! I'm doing well so far. I did some meal prepping yesterday and I hid my scale, and cleaned out my pantry and fridge! I am nervous that I will get bored with the foods I like because I am so picky. I tried to get some new veggies that I've never really eaten before to expand my palate. It's a texture thing. I can't eat very many raw veggies. I just don't like that crunch!

You definitely don't have to eat a lot of raw vegetables. In fact, many people find the raw ones harder on their digestive systems anyway, especially if they eat a lot of them.

You also don't have to be picky, you can learn to like all kinds of vegetables -- you just need to give them a fair shot. Don't just try something one time, prepared one way, and decide you don't like it. How you prepare vegetables can make all the difference in whether you like them are not. Many are better roasted. Try this roasted garlic broccoli recipe, or roasted carrots. For zucchini, try these comfort noodles or use them to make zucchini boats like these. There are all kinds of recipes out there, or you can keep it simple and roast, stir-fry, or steam your vegetables and look for flavorful sauces to change things up -- mayo is good on almost anything, or try any of these or these.

Hey everyone! 

I started my journey today and had some yummy lettuce wraps with Applegate chicken, avocados, and cucumbers! 

Feelings like a normal day so far. 

Question: Does anyone have any good recipes for dipping sauces? I'm going to make some chicken and I usually like to eat my chicken with ranch and siracha so I wasn't sure if there was some orher kind of sauce that is kinda like ranch? 

Question: Does anyone have any good recipes for dipping sauces? I'm going to make some chicken and I usually like to eat my chicken with ranch and siracha so I wasn't sure if there was some orher kind of sauce that is kinda like ranch?

Hi!

Google Whole Sisters Dump Ranch....it's an easy and yummy ranch recipe. I almost ate the whole first batch the first day I made it! The recipe calls for mustard, but I subbed garlic powder and it was tasty. Worth a try!

Archived